NHL Expansion in 2010?

Ez Street

well in a round about way what im saying is,if a team dose relocate let it be nash/phx,fla..........not a historic team with a good fan base and a crappy arena i.e. NY islanders or a few years ago pittsburgh

Or Hartford, from whence your Hurricanes came. <_< Last I looked, neither Pittsburgh nor the Islanders are going anywhere.

And forgive me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't using the Marlies as an example of the GTA can't support two NHL teams be specious at best - they're an AHL franchise affiliated with and owned by the Leafs. That's apples and oranges as far as I'm concerned.

the pens were about to move 2 years ago,the city had to get slot machines to pay for the new arena,if i remember correctly

and there have been rumors of the Isle's moving outta that dump for the past 2 years,hope they don't tho...i think one roumor was that they may move into the barclays center in Brooklyn with the nets

FWIW going to Brooklyn would not constitute a "move". And the near move of the Penguins was not related to the market, but to the craphole they called an arena.

well in the 1st quoted box i state it would be because of a crappy arena

and while from long Island to bkln may not be a major move,the fact that long island is in there logo,and there named the islanders..there would be some irony,but i'd imagine the fan base would stay,although i'd puke if they were called the Brooklyn Islanders :wacko:

138.gif

on the island there is no Queens or Brooklyn

You do realize Brooklyn is on Long Island, right?

Technically yes, but Brooklyn is a part of NYC, NOT Long Island.

If it's on Long Island, the name still works.

yoo...I figure the logo can be adjusted in 5 minutes to accommodate a move.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
889.gif

With a minor tweak or two, this could be one of the best crests in the NHL.

And please- capitalize, punctuate, and spell your posts properly. Some of your ramblings are damn near incoherent.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

From the quotes I read the Leafs wouldn't challenge a second Toronto team -- I'm sure some agreement would have to be worked out (perhaps paying rent to play at the MLSE owned ACC until they get their own place, if at all?) I'm sure a big chunk of the huge expansion fee would go to the Leafs to make them happy.

Toronto is made up of two types of people, the hardcore Leaf fan and the hardcore Leaf hater. I'd say the split is around 65/35... guess where that large chunk + the disgruntled Leaf fan will go to?

The Marlies/Majors/Toros failures is no reason to discount a second NHL team in Toronto. Toronto has always been fickle when it comes to minor league sports... if we let the support the A-League Toronto Lynx got dictate whether Toronto was a soccer town or not we'd never see the amazing success that is the MLS's Toronto FC.

A second team in Toronto would be a success and makes a lot more sense then sticking a second team in the LA area did.

What you didn't mention is that it gives the folks in Toronto a second option in watching NHL games. Leafs tickets are one of the more difficult tickets to obtain, both season tickets as well as single-game. It gives the city double the opportunity to see the likes of Crosby and Ovechkin and Iginla, etc., both in person as well as on TV. Even those diehard Leafs fans would buy tickets to Toronto 2's games just to get an opportunity to watch NHL games in person, wouldn't they?

I wonder if a second GTA will even be called "Toronto". If I ran such a team I'd try to locate them somewhere along the western or southwestern edge of the GTA (read: accessible to fans from Hamilton and/or London w/o having to drive into or through the city of Toronto) and call them the Ontario somethings. (My personal choice: The Ontario Nightingales.)

This would kill three birds with one stone: it would (1) give the team an identity that doesn't scream "Maple Leafs' kid brother", (2) put the talk of the Preds or anyone else moving to Hamilton permanently to rest, and (3) ensure the team a huge season-ticket base by drawing from one or two other cities in addition to Toronto, and the area in between them.

CCSLC signature.png

The biggest thing for me as a fan is the further dilution of the talent pool. The league is already fielding teams that don't have a single bonafide star - why introduce more? Of all the issues that come with expansion, this is the one that bothers me most.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

From the quotes I read the Leafs wouldn't challenge a second Toronto team -- I'm sure some agreement would have to be worked out (perhaps paying rent to play at the MLSE owned ACC until they get their own place, if at all?) I'm sure a big chunk of the huge expansion fee would go to the Leafs to make them happy.

Toronto is made up of two types of people, the hardcore Leaf fan and the hardcore Leaf hater. I'd say the split is around 65/35... guess where that large chunk + the disgruntled Leaf fan will go to?

The Marlies/Majors/Toros failures is no reason to discount a second NHL team in Toronto. Toronto has always been fickle when it comes to minor league sports... if we let the support the A-League Toronto Lynx got dictate whether Toronto was a soccer town or not we'd never see the amazing success that is the MLS's Toronto FC.

A second team in Toronto would be a success and makes a lot more sense then sticking a second team in the LA area did.

What you didn't mention is that it gives the folks in Toronto a second option in watching NHL games. Leafs tickets are one of the more difficult tickets to obtain, both season tickets as well as single-game. It gives the city double the opportunity to see the likes of Crosby and Ovechkin and Iginla, etc., both in person as well as on TV. Even those diehard Leafs fans would buy tickets to Toronto 2's games just to get an opportunity to watch NHL games in person, wouldn't they?

Of course, and I would imagine the ticket prices wouldn't be as high as they are for Leaf games (increase ticket prices but cut salary in half... okay!)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Of course, and I would imagine the ticket prices wouldn't be as high as they are for Leaf games (increase ticket prices but cut salary in half... okay!)

Yes, but it seems to work. Greedy as hell, yes, but it does seem to work; however, it only works because people in the GTA actually care about their team unlike in other places (New Jersey comes to mind.) The Devils could increase or even decrease ticket prices at will and still have garbage attendance even with their brand new, shiny arena and perennial playoff team.

But it because people in Toronto do care so much, I feel that another team would definitely succeed there. As you have pointed out, there are many Leaf haters in the GTA; couple that with the hard to get and high ticket prices and it could be the recipe for success that another team based in the GTA would need.

The biggest thing for me as a fan is the further dilution of the talent pool. The league is already fielding teams that don't have a single bonafide star - why introduce more? Of all the issues that come with expansion, this is the one that bothers me most.

The irony about that issue, is the fact that the Leafs are one of those teams! lol.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

But with a second team within spitting distance the Leafs wouldn't be able to settle for profitable mediocrity forever. The competition would force their owners to put out a consistent winning team or risk losing younger fans to a more successful, fashionable local rival.

Toronto hockey fans, be it Leafs fans or haters should welcome the idea of a second team.

liverpool-1.png

But with a second team within spitting distance the Leafs wouldn't be able to settle for profitable mediocrity forever. The competition would force their owners to put out a consistent winning team or risk losing younger fans to a more successful, fashionable local rival.

Toronto hockey fans, be it Leafs fans or haters should welcome the idea of a second team.

The L.A. Kings seem to be drawing well enough to turn a buck despite Anaheim's success, so I can't buy this argument. I'm opposed to NHL expansion at this time, but only from a business perspective - the argument that the talent pool will be further diluted doesn't quite cut it with me.

nav-logo.png

I say put a team in Hartford! Cheer if you want to bring back the Whalers! WOOOOOO!

...okay all I hear are crickets.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

The L.A. Kings seem to be drawing well enough to turn a buck despite Anaheim's success, so I can't buy this argument. I'm opposed to NHL expansion at this time, but only from a business perspective - the argument that the talent pool will be further diluted doesn't quite cut it with me.

Well they say they lost $10 million last season. FWIW.

I'm opposed to NHL expansion at this time, but only from a business perspective - the argument that the talent pool will be further diluted doesn't quite cut it with me.

From a business perspective, I'd say expanding into Toronto would only help the league - not hurt it.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I'm opposed to NHL expansion at this time, but only from a business perspective - the argument that the talent pool will be further diluted doesn't quite cut it with me.

From a business perspective, I'd say expanding into Toronto would only help the league - not hurt it.

Your correct!

Honestly, that's something no one can successfully argue. [/fact] More NHL hockey in Toronto would be profitable and would help the league. [/endfact]

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Well they say they lost $10 million last season. FWIW.

On what? It's not like they've got superstar salaries bloating them down and horribly outdated venue without modern amenities.

They play in probably the premier arena in the country (MSG notwithstanding) in one of the media capitals of the country. Anschutz is either lying through his teeth or doesn't know how to run the franchise. I'd say both are solid bets.

I say put a team in Hartford! Cheer if you want to bring back the Whalers! WOOOOOO!

Excellent idea! I say we relocate the Thrashers. Jackass.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I always love how people say things and never give any reasoning for it.

"Lets give [insert city] a team!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!1"

All baseball teams should wear white and gray uniforms. None of this OMFG GREEN/RED/BLUE/BLACK SHENANIGANS."

Just to name a few things I've seen on this board with no reasoning whatsoever.

I always love how people say things and never give any reasoning for it.

"Lets give [insert city] a team!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!1"

All baseball teams should wear white and gray uniforms. None of this OMFG GREEN/RED/BLUE/BLACK SHENANIGANS."

Just to name a few things I've seen on this board with no reasoning whatsoever.

Wow calm down guys, it was sarcasm

Archived