Greatest Sports Arena

the_cynic

When you think of the greatest sports arena of all time what's the first place that comes to your mind? When I ask myself that question I would have to think of this place right here..........

Boston_Garden.jpg

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What makes it "THE" arena? The Boston Garden has arguably seen more history and more historical games. The Madison Square Garden may have outlived the Boston Garden but it can't really compare to the Boston Garden's uniqueness.

I would have to go with SBC Park, even though I've never been and Fenway.

What does Fenway have to do with this?

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

I know they were a small-market team, but the when the Whalers played in the WHA, they played in the Colisseum at the Big E grounds (New-Englanders know what the Big-E is.) Know that place had an old-time hockey fill to it, and as it only sat about a couple thousand, that place could erupt so loud it would sound like 10's of thousands!!!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Well if you want the arenas that have seen the most history I'd go with the Montreal Forum, and Maple Leaf Gardens.

If you want arenas that are great to watch games in, well I've only been to a couple of the new ones, like the ACC, Corel Centre, and Office Depot Center... they were all great to watch a game in.

I can't compare any other arena cause I've only been to about 6 NHL games.

From the outside I always thought Philips Arena looked pretty cool, same with the Office Depot Center... MSG looks neat in night-time pictures (never been to NY), I don't like the outside of the Bell Centre, looks like any other building in the city, the A.C.C. has a historical significance in it's outside, as it incorporates the original outdoor walls of the old Canada Post Delivery building.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I don't think there is any question that MSG is the greatest arena. Iwent there to see the Kincks-Heat game in late january and i was in the last possible row but it was still good seats.

I like the Air Canada Centre alot also allthough I've never seen a hockey game there. I regularly go see Lacrosse and Basketball but I'm allways in the lower bowl so I don't know if the upper bowl is good.

1zqy8ok.gif

I don't think there is any question that MSG is the greatest arena. Iwent there to see the Kincks-Heat game in late january and i was in the last possible row but it was still good seats.

I like the Air Canada Centre alot also allthough I've never seen a hockey game there. I regularly go see Lacrosse and Basketball but I'm allways in the lower bowl so I don't know if the upper bowl is good.

The upper bowl is great for views, they say there isn't a bad seat in the arena, and they're right. you feel very close up there.

---

Chris Creamer

If you're looking at this from a Canadian perspective, the MLG and th Forum definatly have the edge. The Forum just had so much history with the Canadiens, MLG is a historic site in Toronto.

Overall, I feel Madison Square Garden has that special feeling whenever a major event is held there

Well offer some supporting details as to why Madison is the best. Tell me why I shouldn't consider the Boston Garden the greatest?

Retired Number's To Come

what Darren Pang calls the Biggest Little new arena, the Shark Tank, despite being only 10 years old, is one of the best new venues around. If you ever get to go to a playoff game, the atmosphere is electricifying. The food is cheap, the toilets work, great views

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Kiel Center (yes, I still call it that) in St. Louis is nice, even if it's already almost ten years old. Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul is a great building for hockey. Staples Center in L.A. was very antiseptic. United Center is not bad, though a little dull.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

So you guys can mention the Staples Center & Cameron Indoor Arena and honestly feel that they're the greatest sports arenas ever? I'm not talking about luxurious arenas here, I'm talking about historical arenas that make you get the goose bumps every time you step inside them, arenas that have so much history that you could actually write a book on them. The Staples Center might write itself in the books in 20-30 years but not when it hasn't even existed for a decade.

Retired Number's To Come

So you guys can mention the Staples Center & Cameron Indoor Arena and honestly feel that they're the greatest sports arenas ever? I'm not talking about luxurious arenas here, I'm talking about historical arenas that make you get the goose bumps every time you step inside them, arenas that have so much history that you could actually write a book on them. The Staples Center might write itself in the books in 20-30 years but not when it hasn't even existed for a decade.

If that's the criteria, then the answer is the Montreal Forum.

---

Chris Creamer

Why it's the Montreal Forum ever brought up then? Is it because a lot of us live in America and that's just a Canadian team? In conversations like these I've never heard of the Montreal Forum ever being brought up.

Retired Number's To Come

Why it's the Montreal Forum ever brought up then? Is it because a lot of us live in America and that's just a Canadian team? In conversations like these I've never heard of the Montreal Forum ever being brought up.

Much like folk up here never give a thought about MSG or Boston Garden in these conversations, it's always the Forum vs MLG.

Different countries, that's all.

But when you list off who played in the Forum, and the fact that the Habs won 24 Stanley Cups (and at least one in every decade) while calling the Montreal Forum home, it's hard to argue.

Granted the Boston Garden has it's history, and a good one at that, the Montreal Forum is just on another level from any other hockey arena in terms of history.

Now if you want to battle it out for 2nd most historical arena then you got Boston Garden, MSG, Maple Leaf Gardens, The Olympia, Chicago Stadium, and even good ole Checkerboard Arena making strong cases.

---

Chris Creamer

:notworthy:  :notworthy: Cameron Indoor Arena  :notworthy:  :notworthy:

GRRRRRRRRRRRR I hate Dookdook2-med.gif

On Another Note :

I think MSG is great cause the feeling you get when you walk into it. It's the most famous arena in the world. You can think of the stanley cups that have been won there. But the thing that gets me is all the Boxing matches that have been held there, almost all famous boxing matches were faught at MSG.

1zqy8ok.gif

Much like folk up here never give a thought about MSG or Boston Garden in these conversations, it's always the Forum vs MLG.

Different countries, that's all.

But when you list off who played in the Forum, and the fact that the Habs won 24 Stanley Cups (and at least one in every decade) while calling the Montreal Forum home, it's hard to argue.

Granted the Boston Garden has it's history, and a good one at that, the Montreal Forum is just on another level from any other hockey arena in terms of history.

Now if you want to battle it out for 2nd most historical arena then you got Boston Garden, MSG, Maple Leaf Gardens, The Olympia, Chicago Stadium, and even good ole Checkerboard Arena making strong cases.

Keep in mind though that not only did the Bruins have great success in the Boston Garden but you also had the Boston Celtics. It's funny how you only bring up hockey success. If we're talking about another level then you have to also mention more than one sport. Perhaps what also make the Boston Garden so great was the fact that it didn't have air conditioning and many of the seats had obstruct views. It might be considered a piece of crap to many but those facts also add to the history and character of the "Garden".

Retired Number's To Come

Archived