The "angry" bird.

NDwas

rant:

Do people really like this logo to begin with? I'm not much of one to knock past logos, regardless of their goofiness, because they are just that: throwback logos, logos that represent the team's history. But really? This logo is just weird. I think what the original poster did for the latest update makes the bird look a little more respectable, but man. What is up with the way he's holding the bat? And like someone else said, is he going to waltz over to me to beat on me? What is up with his feet? And what is he looking at? The eyes have no direction at all! I think the concept behind the logo is solid, but I don't feel threatened by a bird who looks spaced out in the eyes, has wrist strain and is about to trip over his own feet. And not only that, the kind of "mad" that he looks is akin to what a four year old looks like when he's told by his mother that she will in fact not buy that toy for him. He just balls up his fists and grits his teeth and shakes!

/rant.

As my sig shows, I'm a fan of the original version.
rant:

Do people really like this logo to begin with?

/rant.

Count me as a fan. That being said, I honestly never looked at the original terribly closely. Upon closer review, it does have some serious flaws/issues. However, I always loved the concept behind the logo and have let it rest at that.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Angry? He looks homicidal. And what's with the feet? It's like he's dancing his way to a murder.

Well... he is reppin' B'more...

I kid because I love :D

(For the record... Baltimore is not nearly as bad as its made out to be...)

(For the record... Baltimore is not nearly as bad as its made out to be...)

Is this what is known as "damning with faint praise"?

:P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Just for clarification this was never used as a uniform logo, but was used in print. I really only remember it on a huge banner that hung on Memorial Stadium during the 1970 World Series, that said "Let's Make the Reds Blue!" IIRC they had a newer version on the "city" side of the Warehouse a few years ago as well. As for the update, I like the cartoon bird on the hat. It kinda has a before and after thing going. I am not a big fan of the "O's" hat on the field or on this concept.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Just for clarification this was never used as a uniform logo, but was used in print.

Correct. It was also used on billboards and the like. "The Home Team" by Jim Bready, an Orioles history that I must have checked out of the school and public library at least 10 times over the years, had numerous pictures of billboards using the logo.

This book is more or less the successor to "The Home Team." I've only glanced at it and don't remember if it has any billboard pictures.

71C5ZB7G5GL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.gif

Archived