So what do you think of these new Nike basketball ads?

ferrousoxide66

That's been goin on on the courts as long as I can remember. It's just a bunch of pictures of guys getting 'posterized' with what would be the vocal reactions of some folks to such 'posterization.' No big deal there.

I'm a bit torn on this, I guess. (And I can't believe I read that entire thread.)

On first glance, I don't really feel the homophobia. It's guys getting dunked on. It's meant to be aggressive and humiliating.

But I guess I can understand some of the problems. "Punks jump up" is okay on its own, but the song it was likely taken from is filled with homophobia and violence.

Overall, I like the idea of the campaign, but there were some questionable choices made.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'm not a baller by any means, but when you play streetball, there are two things that can happen to you that will get your ass thrown off the court for the rest of the day (and maybe longer).

1) Getting your layup attempt "pinned." When instead of just smacking your :censored: off the backboard, they momentarily trap it against the backboard--with one or two hands--and then grab the ball.

2) Getting "nuts." When you are dunked on in such a fashion that you are left flatfooted with your face at about the same level as the crotch of the man embarrasing your ass.

Ask your streetball playing friends, if you have any, about how mercilessly you will be joked on should you get pinned or get nuts. The terminology may be different dependent on your region, but trust me, they'll eventually concur with what I stated above.

Anyway, I damn sure don't want to offend anyone here, but I just don't see the misogyny or homophobia here. I really don't. Like one of the posters on the linked page said, those who seem to have such a problem with it (and from what I've read from our friend Mr. ferrousoxide66, I'm lumping him in) didn't/don't play, enjoy, or understand basketball enough to get the reference.

SIDE NOTE: I'm on the same wavelength as you, Kev. I might have the song incorrect, but when I see "Punks Jump Up" on a poster, I think of the song "Punks Jump Up To Get Beat Down" by Brand Nubian. That song has several pretty damn blatant homophobic lines throughout the song. Maybe they weren't referring to the song at all but still...there are so many other things they could have said without conjuring up that type of imagery.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I'm a bit torn on this, I guess. (And I can't believe I read that entire thread.)

On first glance, I don't really feel the homophobia. It's guys getting dunked on. It's meant to be aggressive and humiliating.

But I guess I can understand some of the problems. "Punks jump up" is okay on its own, but the song it was likely taken from is filled with homophobia and violence.

Overall, I like the idea of the campaign, but there were some questionable choices made.

Was that the best choice of words for a topic about, well, groins?

:P

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Was that the best choice of words for a topic about, well, groins?

:P

You're reaching pretty hard for that "joke", son.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like to be offended, but I don't see it here. Also, where is the "firestorm"? All I saw in the link was just the ads. If there's a controversy, where is it?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Below the ads there's a long string of comments.

So there are. I would imagine this is a case of one website with a large following linking to another. Is that real outrage? Or manufactured?

Either way, to each his or her own, I guess. I would imagine many of the people making the comments aren't in the target audience. If there is real homophobic content implied that doesn't make it okay. But still...

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

... The terminology may be different dependent on your region, but trust me, they'll eventually concur with what I stated above.

"cuz got tea-bagged!!"

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

When seen individually and taken out of context, the "that ain't right" ad could be taken as homophobic. But when you view the whole series of ads, you can see that it wasn't meant that way at all.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived