The way back machine: WBL LOGOS

dbackdiehard17

OMG! Check out the number font used by the Milwaukee Does!

DoesTeamPhoto78.jpg

It's the same as the Braves / Astros of the mid-1970s...

ian_braves_astros.jpg

I have never seen that font outside of the Braves and Astros from that era. Too damn cool!

BTW, so as not to kill the WBL site's bandwidth, I saved their Does pic and posted it to my Photobucket acct, FWIW.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

hahaha I was going to post that logo and say it was sexy too.

I swear, it's Beyonce in a fur suit. The only time a fursuit during the sex would be acceptable.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Sorry Lee, I'm going to have to back away from you...slowly.

Note to self: never buy Lee a cute stuffed animal. Sins would be done upon it.

Apparently you missed my vehement anti-furry posts in various other topics.

Yet, I'm friends with 49erfan. Go figure.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

ebay.h2.jpg

Apparently the bestiality crowd was a niche market in Milwaukee during the late 70's...

But how bout the Does using purple & green 15 years before the Bucks AND making better unis with it?

ebay.h2.jpg

Milwaukee Does what? The Bucks? :D Ohh does the female deer. Now I get it. Actually quite a few of those logo woman looked kinda hot.

nebraskawranglers.png

She looks like she should be in a Calvin Kline ad.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

DoesTeamPhoto78.jpg

ian_braves_astros.jpg

I have never seen that font outside of the Braves and Astros from that era. Too damn cool!

BTW, so as not to kill the WBL site's bandwidth, I saved their Does pic and posted it to my Photobucket acct, FWIW.

The Milwaukee Does uniforms as well as the Braves and Astros, were made by SandKnit. Hence the number font. SandKnit introduced that font with the 1972 Braces "feather" jersey. FYI- The first-year Chicago Hustle uniforms were made by Athletic Sewing Mfg. in Chicago. For the second year of 1979-80 the Hustle switched to Betlin uniforms from Columbus, Ohio. I sold uniforms from both Athletic Sewing and Betlin from our store in Rochester.

DoesTeamPhoto78.jpg

ian_braves_astros.jpg

The Milwaukee Does uniforms as well as the Braves and Astros, were made by SandKnit. Hence the number font. SandKnit introduced that font with the 1972 Braces "feather" jersey. FYI- The first-year Chicago Hustle uniforms were made by Athletic Sewing Mfg. in Chicago. For the second year of 1979-80 the Hustle switched to Betlin uniforms from Columbus, Ohio. I sold uniforms from both Athletic Sewing and Betlin from our store in Rochester.

Cool beans! Thank you for that nugget, Bulldog! It sounds like that font was unique to SandKnit, then. And yes, I'm totally obsessed with that font, for some reason... Thanks again!

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

DoesTeamPhoto78.jpg

ian_braves_astros.jpg

Cool beans! Thank you for that nugget, Bulldog! It sounds like that font was unique to SandKnit, then. And yes, I'm totally obsessed with that font, for some reason... Thanks again!

Hey, Frylock-When SandKnit went out of business a few years ago a man named Hank Derleth bought the SandKnit factory in Berlin, Wisc. in 1992. Now Hank's company named Ripon Athletic has all of SandKnit's patterns, fonts, etc. plus they have coninued to evolve the line. I just checked their website and they still have the number font that you like. Their site is www.riponathletic.com and they sell through sporting goods stores that usually specialize in team business. Check them out. Also I had an actual Braves "feather" jersey sample in 1972. It was a Royal Blue body with White lettering, numbers and raglan sleeves with No. 2 on it. The inside of the tackle twill was all swiss embroidered. I gave the shirt to a young man that worked for us in the summer. He's had his mother looking for the jersey at the family home and hopes she'll eventually find it.

I grew up outside of NYC and I still remember seeing the TV commercials for the New Jersey Gems with this catchy diddy.

"The New Jersey Gems, The New Jersey Gems.

You've got to see them to believe them.

The New Jersey

Our New Jersey

The New Jersey Geeeeeeeeeeeeems."

I liked the Philadelphia Fox's uniforms, personally, though I wonder what was with the Cornets' nickname. Isn't the cornet that my fellow band freaks had to explain countless times how it is totally not a trumpet, yet essentially was one?

As a close second, I like the New England Gulls' uniform, especially how they wore it Untucked.

JerseySiggy.png

Signature Eternally Under Construction

Archived