Brett Favre

Cujo

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Brett Favre, I respect his skills. But for goodness gracious, just RETIRE ALREADY!

What Favre has done to Aaron Rodgers is very classless. If he did not want to retire fine, but after the Packers prepared for Rodgers to take over and Rodgers worked as the starter in mini camp its too late. Its going to be hard enough replacing a legend, and now Favre has made it impossible, is Aaron Rodgers succeeds it will be a triumph of character, because the fans will be tens times harder now becuase of the Favre comeback fiasco.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I like Brett Favre, I respect his skills. But for goodness gracious, just RETIRE ALREADY!

What Favre has done to Aaron Rodgers is very classless. If he did not want to retire fine, but after the Packers prepared for Rodgers to take over and Rodgers worked as the starter in mini camp its too late. Its going to be hard enough replacing a legend, and now Favre has made it impossible, is Aaron Rodgers succeeds it will be a triumph of character, because the fans will be tens times harder now becuase of the Favre comeback fiasco.

It's hard for me to pull for another NFC team, but this whole thing has really turned me into an Aaron Rogers supporter, and I really hope that he has an awesome season and a great career (even if not in Green bay.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

For whatever reason, I imagine him playing in Baltimore, even though they sounded less than interested.

My idea? Re-instate him, play him for half a season for him to get his last-second tutoring of Aaron Rodgers, hopefully let him have a really good game, then trade him. Send him to the AFC, let other teams judge his worth, and make the deal around midseason like we've seen in baseball and basketball. If teams think that they're on the brink of competing but need a better arm, they'll pay up.

To leave Rodgers sit another whole season is inexcusable. Half a season (or maybe more like 5 or 6 games), however, would work out for everyone (except Favre if he can't get things squared away with Ted Thompson, but I think he will at training camp).

For whatever reason, I imagine him playing in Baltimore, even though they sounded less than interested.

My idea? Re-instate him, play him for half a season for him to get his last-second tutoring of Aaron Rodgers, hopefully let him have a really good game, then trade him. Send him to the AFC, let other teams judge his worth, and make the deal around midseason like we've seen in baseball and basketball. If teams think that they're on the brink of competing but need a better arm, they'll pay up.

To leave Rodgers sit another whole season is inexcusable. Half a season (or maybe more like 5 or 6 games), however, would work out for everyone (except Favre if he can't get things squared away with Ted Thompson, but I think he will at training camp).

Yeah, it should be easy to trade a starting quarterback five or six games into a season. He should be able to step right in for whatever team gets him. <_<

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, it should be easy to trade a starting quarterback five or six games into a season. He should be able to step right in for whatever team gets him. <_<

It would coincide with the bye-week, or he doesn't play for a week. I'm sure he can learn the system as long as it consists of 10-yard slant passes.

It would coincide with the bye-week, or he doesn't play for a week. I'm sure he can learn the system as long as it consists of 10-yard slant passes.

Rodgers doesn't need tutoring. He either performs or doesn't. And even if it were the case, Favre isn't the guy to learn from. Brett has a way that works for him, but is otherwise considered bad mechanics. When Hasselbeck went to Seattle, it took a year to erase the bad habits he picked up as Brett's backup.

Under the scenario you've given, no one is trading a starting quarterback that is doing well. If he were to suck, he might as well retire again. If Favre were kept, a more plausible situation would be that Rodgers gets injured and he fills in. If he does come back, he'll likely be traded to a team whose QB goes down in the preseason.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Rodgers doesn't need tutoring. He either performs or doesn't. And even if it were the case, Favre isn't the guy to learn from. Brett has a way that works for him, but is otherwise considered bad mechanics. When Hasselbeck went to Seattle, it took a year to erase the bad habits he picked up as Brett's backup.

Under the scenario you've given, no one is trading a starting quarterback that is doing well. If he were to suck, he might as well retire again. If Favre were kept, a more plausible situation would be that Rodgers gets injured and he fills in. If he does come back, he'll likely be traded to a team whose QB goes down in the preseason.

That, and the fact that it is absurd to think that a starting quarterback could be traded during the season.

I was saying that only if the Packers were not doing well, but the other team was on the fringe of doing well. If the Packers kept Favre and were in the hunt, then they could keep him, although Favre might not be entirely happy about it. So he personally would be doing well (or well enough for other teams to gauge his worth), but the Packers would not.

And obviously starting quarterbacks aren't traded during the season often, but I think accommodations could be made where he has a bench week and a bye week... he could definitely learn a new system in two weeks.

I don't understand how the Packers still hold the rights to Favre. Shouldn't they lose them when he retired? I remember Junior Seau retired a few years ago (or gradutated as he put it), only to sign with the Patriots a few days later.

I'm torn on Favre to the Ravens. On one hand, I'd love to have him. He'd instantly make our offense credible and would be the best QB the Ravens ever had. On the other hand, I don't want Joe Flacco learning from him. He's a great QB, but he makes alot of poor decisions and has bad form. I lot of what he does, only he could do.

I don't understand how the Packers still hold the rights to Favre. Shouldn't they lose them when he retired?

Think about it. If that was the case, anyone who wanted off his current team could just "retire" and then be a free agent.

I don't understand how the Packers still hold the rights to Favre. Shouldn't they lose them when he retired?

Think about it. If that was the case, anyone who wanted off his current team could just "retire" and then be a free agent.

Yea, I understand that. But isn't that exactly what Seau did a couple years ago?

Yea, I understand that. But isn't that exactly what Seau did a couple years ago?

Not at all. Seau was released from Miami, signed one of those stupid "one day" contracts with SD just so he could retire. He then came back and signed with NE. Once the Dolphins released him, he wasn't under contract and was a free agent, so there was no shadyness going on there.

Favre is under contract for a few more years. If retired, the Packers hold his rights until the contract period expires.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I don't understand how the Packers still hold the rights to Favre. Shouldn't they lose them when he retired? I remember Junior Seau retired a few years ago (or gradutated as he put it), only to sign with the Patriots a few days later.

I'm torn on Favre to the Ravens. On one hand, I'd love to have him. He'd instantly make our offense credible and would be the best QB the Ravens ever had. On the other hand, I don't want Joe Flacco learning from him. He's a great QB, but he makes alot of poor decisions and has bad form. I lot of what he does, only he could do.

Joe Flacco? I wouldn't get my hopes up. He's just the latest version of Rick Mirer or all the other "looks good in college and at the combine" QBs who end up at best carrying a clipboard.

BB52Big.jpg

Dear Brett Favre

Please man up and stay retired. You held a press conference and everything. Now, you're whining about wanting to come back, and being rather a douchebag about it, too.

If you didn't want to retire, then you shouldn't have retired. This also throws that phone company commercial all out of whack, while making it creepily ironic, what with your saying hello and all. Like, "Hello Aaron Rodgers, I'm here to screw you out of your starting job."

I used to like you, Brett Favre. I even owned a jersey with your name and number on it. Now, I want you to disappear like Fred Durst did. No fanfare, no press conferences, just move to Montana and raise sheep or dental floss or something. Please. For the children.

Thanks,

Lee Laminger

Packers fan

PS, the pronunciation of your name doesn't match how it's spelled. Please change one or the other, lest you end up like poor Pierre (pron. "Peer") South Dakota.

-LJL

Welcome to DrunjFlix

After the end of last season I thought the Packers were in a can't-lose situation. If Favre comes back, great - he's the most electrifying player the team has had in decades, if not its entire history, and is still as capable as ever. If he retires, also great - Aaron Rodgers has shown signs of developing very well, and could end up being Steve Young to Favre's Joe Montana. Even in the worst-case scenario, a QB controversy, I figured Ted Thompson could find some sucker opposing GM willing to give up a s :censored: tload of players and/or draft picks for either Favre or Rodgers.

The trouble is that Favre basically pulled a reverse Barry Sanders. Sanders, as you may recall, waited until just before training camp in '99 to announce his retirement, and the entire Lions organization has been reeling ever since. When Favre announced his retirement before the draft, I was relieved that he didn't do to the Packers what Sanders did to the Lions. But instead he did the exact opposite - retiring early and then coming back just before camp - and that can be just as disruptive to a team as what Sanders did, especially one that's been planning for his departure for at least the last three seasons (when they drafted Rodgers) and began to implement that plan in earnest when he retired, only to find him still around, maybe not physically anymore, but still casting a long shadow over the team.

Thompson's big problem now is time. If he tries to complete a trade too quickly just to be rid of Favre, he could well end up being the sucker, and not get as much out of the deal as he otherwise could. But if he holds out too long for the "right deal", Favre could still be overshadowing the team, and Rodgers in particular, well into the regular season. Remember that six of the Pack's first seven games are against division rivals or 2007 playoff teams. The pressure on Rodgers to perform will be sky-high in any event, but many times more so if there remains the slightest possibility that #4 could suit up and resume the starting role.

CCSLC signature.png

Dear Brett Favre

Please man up and stay retired. You held a press conference and everything. Now, you're whining about wanting to come back, and being rather a douchebag about it, too.

If you didn't want to retire, then you shouldn't have retired. This also throws that phone company commercial all out of whack, while making it creepily ironic, what with your saying hello and all. Like, "Hello Aaron Rodgers, I'm here to screw you out of your starting job."

I used to like you, Brett Favre. I even owned a jersey with your name and number on it. Now, I want you to disappear like Fred Durst did. No fanfare, no press conferences, just move to Montana and raise sheep or dental floss or something. Please. For the children.

Thanks,

Lee Laminger

Packers fan

PS, the pronunciation of your name doesn't match how it's spelled. Please change one or the other, lest you end up like poor Pierre (pron. "Peer") South Dakota.

-LJL

As a Packer fan myself,i can tell you that i couldnt have said it better myself...well said Mr. Lamminger well said

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

Archived