Nhl 7th Man Award

Puckguy14

Guys, you know there's the NHL 7th man award contest going on, I tried last year and got beat by a school teacher. I really want to win this, so if you guys can help me out with some ideas, it would help!

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Yeah that would be a good idea to explain it. :P Silly me.

To enter, just write an essay of up to 250 words describing your qualifications as the 7th Man of your favorite team. The fan whose essay best exemplifies dedication, passion and loyalty to the NHL and to his or her favorite team will be named the respective Club's local winner.

Each local winner receives an authentic team jersey plus a game-day experience that includes a visit to the morning skate, photograph/autograph opportunities, a tour of the locker room and recognition during an on-ice ceremony at the game itself.

Entrants will be judged on the following criteria:

How the nominee best exemplifies the attributes of an NHL fan through his or her dedication, passion and loyalty to the NHL and their favorite team.

The extent to which the nominee incorporates "fandom" into his or her everyday life and that of his or her family and friends.

The extent of the nominee's use of his or her favorite team colors and logo.

This was last year's winner, Sarah Clark, a school teacher from SJ with her submission:

From the drop of the first puck in September to the hoisting of the Cup in June I live, breathe, eat and sleep hockey and forever bleed teal. I am a preschool teacher who works two additional jobs in order to pay for Sharks tickets. My classroom is called the Sharks, has a teal floor and shelves, birthdays are posted with their own Sharks team logo, all school information is on teal paper, Sharks window clings adorn the windows, a Sharks "Game On" lamppost banner hangs on the wall and on game days we sing to "Tunes From The Tank". The children chant "Let's Go Sharks" at the top of their lungs. A Sharks bulletin board hangs full of Sharks autographed pictures, newspaper clippings and the group sales brochure and newspaper ad where the Sharks organization used my picture taken at a game. I don teal fingernails, Sharks apparel, Sharks personalized license plate frame and an ability to yell encouragement to 'my boys' through an entire game (deafening the NHL officials who stand in front of me at the Tank and my mother sitting beside me). My encouragement is positive and represents "team teal" with the pride they deserve- at home and on the road. During the playoffs I won $2000 from the prize wheel and even though the money could have paid bills I opted to buy some nice teal (blue topaz) jewelry to commemorate the event. As my e-mail address states I DO "BLEED TEAL".

I haven't figured it out, either. Last year I got beat out by an old guy who could talk about meeting the players as a kid back in the '50s or something. Another problem is that 250 words isn't a lot to work with, so if you're anything like me you'll have to cut something. Don't expect to win if you don't have some nice little anecdote, they like that (stupid) kind of thing.

Some time you went to some incredible length to meet the team only to be thwarted, but then the team members saw you and invited you into the locker room or some crap like that.

Or how you were never a fan until one of the players stopped to help you fix a flat tire on the side of the road at night in the rain and that extreme act of kindness made you a fan for life.

They love stupid stuff like that.

I get bitter with these contests because I don't see how anyone can tell me I'm less of a fan than someone else. Just because I'm a (relatively) poor college student and can't afford tickets all the time or can't afford to buy game-worn jerseys or autographs and don't have time to go out of my way hunting the players down doesn't squat.

A few years ago the Wings had a "Citizens of Hockeytown" campaign where they featured different fans on the game tickets. One of them was a kid who (said he) refused to recognize Colorado as a state. Yeah, way to go idiot, you can dislike the team without being a moron. See how that "not recognizing Colorado" thing goes next time you have to take a Geography test.

Angry? Yeah.

All contests like that are stupid. Many morons make it incomperable. I did an essay on why I was a huge CART fan (My father and I bonded with it and our love for Paul Tracy), and soon they showed the "best" entrants: A couple who moved their weddings becasue of a race, a guy who painted his house red and white for Team Penske, etc.

You can't have a life AND win one of those things.

Just be the best fan you can be. That's all that counts. B)

Yeah it's currently going on at NHL.com Just one thought. Don't you guys think kids should be allowed to enter too? I mean they do have a kid's one, but c'mon theres a lot of kids 13-17 that probably don't want to enter the kid's one, because the NHL is probably aiming for 7-12 year olds.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived