2004 Mlb Anniversary Logos

TruColor

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/phi/i...ogo_220x220.gif

i thought the phillies were wearing these on their home unis? anyway, the other phillies logo does reference the new ballpark in 2 ways: the white liberty bell outlined in red and blue will sit in right field and light up as part of the new HR celebration and the red steel support lookin things are supposed to reflect the shape of the light towers around the stadium.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are FEW exceptions in which a team should ever sport a "logo" for their stadium. The Innagural season, and if your stadium is known for being rich in tradition, and probably close to 50 years and older.

A 10th anniversary stadium logo just says to the fan, and more importantly tax payer: "Yes, its been 10 years allready, looking forward to your help in doing it all over again in 15-20 years.

Im assuimg the brewers will have a 35th anniversary patch or logo or something for this upcoming season, but I guess I could apply the "tradition" tag from the stadium thing above here. After 12 straight seasons of losing, and no playoffs since 1982, there really is no reason to celebrate the history or the age of the franchise.

Play RBI Baseball 2K9 @ http://league.rbicentral.com

What's up with the Shea Stadium one? The didn't incorporate a Mets logo or a Shea Stadium logo. That's pretty whacked.

Man, I live in New York, like 10 minutes from shea and please enough with those neon baseball players. They just scream DATED. And not the good Wrigley Field Ivy, or Green Monster dated, just plain out of touch. But any team that's paying $17M to Mo Vaughn not to play this year, deserves a horrid anniv. patch.

Whcih makes me wonder...if the Phillies are wearing a patch for their inaugural season at Citizens Bank Park, aren't the Padres wearing one for their park, or do they consider the new uniforms as celebration enough? I also think that they've got to come up with an alternative name for Petco Park. Petco Park at Ray Kroc Field or something. Hell, even East Village Park or Gaslamp Park or Embarcadero Park would be better.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

im thinking... and this may just be a crazy idea... but with stadium naming rights changing constantly why include the name of the stadium on the patch if its going to change in 5 or 10 years...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Looks like that Phillies' patch is missing some key info.

Most new stadium patches just say Inaugural Season on them, and not the stadium name... i think Comerica is the only one recently that comes to mind.

Really? That seems odd. :huh:

I would think the stadium name, or at leaast some reference to the stadium ( a logo or image) was more important to the patch than the team name. The team name is already on the uniform, and the patch is for the stadium.

Bizzare. I guess I never really thought about it before.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

MLB, like most (if not all) of the 4 leagues, discourages corporate names (advertising) on their uniforms, other than the small logos of manufacturers of the uniform. Look at every on-field commemorative ballpark logo, especially those of the past 10 years, and you will never see a corporate name.

MLB, like most (if not all) of the 4 leagues, discourages corporate names (advertising) on their uniforms, other than the small logos of manufacturers of the uniform. Look at every on-field commemorative ballpark logo, especially those of the past 10 years, and you will never see a corporate name.

I say, if you're not going to put the name of the building that you're commemorating on the patch, then don't make the patch at all. A commemoratoive patch should be able to convey a certain message on its own. This doesn't do it. In fact, unless you already know that the Phillies are playing in a new park this year, the patch is confusing - you know that it's not their first season, so why are they wearing an inaugural patch?.

Consider this: 10 years from now, a collector who may know very little about baseball or the Philadelphia area, may come across this patch in a flea market somewhere and think that it celebrates the Phillies' first season - in 2004.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I disagree, words like ANNIVERSARY would denote the franchise's inception. Having said that, we can debate the merits of the design and the amount of "ballpark" imagery within in helping to convey the message. I think that the Miller Park "Home to Heroes" patch was far more convoluted than this one. All in all it's a momentous year for any franchise to begin play in a new facility, totally worthy of commemoration.

I think that this is a great point, and...I hadn't noticed this before...

Makes sense to me...

Yeah that does make sense and since Jacoobs was the Indians owner in 1994 it is not a coperate name the Stadium name is on the patch. Good observation Bulldog.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

PhiladelphiaPhillies_Citize.jpg

So let me get this straight... everyone here is OK with the Phillies patch, even though it's completely misleading as to what what it's commemorating?

Don't get me wrong.. it's a nice-looking logo... it's just that whoever designed it failed to have it serve its intended purpose.

What can ya do? You can't have the name of the stadium on there, so they put the new ballparks outfield scoreboard on there.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

This would explain why the White Sox no longer have a sleeve patch on their uniform. I thought it was stupid to have a sleeve patch for new Comiskey Park on the jerseys for ten years, but when it became "U.S. Cellular Field" the patches came off and weren't replaced. I think the 2003 Style Guide showed a Comiskey patch on the left sleeve and an All-Star game patch on the right, but they wore just the All-Star patch last season.

Archived