The Hockey News NHL Logo Rankings

Korbyn

http://thehockeynews.com/articles/17432-TH...o-Rankings.html

Naturally, the NHL was the most contested of our ultimate logo debate, but there were certain emblems we knew would crack the top 10.

The first four, you’ll notice, are Original Six franchises, but we didn’t want to trade entirely on sentiment, which is why newer teams such as Minnesota and San Jose were rewarded for their unique design.

The most important distinction is that we are judging logos, not jerseys. This is why the New York Rangers fell out of the top 10; when you think of the Blueshirts, you think of the diagonal lettering on their jerseys before you think of the crest. Teams that have improved their looks in recent times were rewarded (ie. Phoenix), while those who took a step back in our opinion (Ottawa, Buffalo) were punished.

THE TOP 10

1. Chicago

2. Detroit

3. Montreal

4. Boston

5. St. Louis

6. Philadelphia

7. Minnesota

8. San Jose

9. Pittsburgh

10. Toronto

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bluenote so classic, it stands by itself.

Now if only we could get a jersey to match!

Good list, I have a hard time arguing with most of it. Although there is no reason the avalanches should be ranked as high as they are, that logo is atrocious.

The original senator was much better than his current 3-D cousin.

Well I know someone needs to go to the loony bin.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Panthers 18th?

Their logo is so underrated.

I couldn't agree more :D

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

How the Devils aren't in the top 5, let alone the top 10, is just beyond my comprehension.

He got #1 right, and a few others, but there are others that i absolutly disagree with. And the 3-D centurion sucks compared to the 2-D centurion, in both incarnations.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

New Jersey's logo is too low, maybe not top 10 but at least top 12 - San Jose & Phoenix are way to high. I do like the new shark logo, but it's not that high.

Capitals need to be in the bottom 5 and the 'Canes should be top 15. IMO!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

My first impressions;

Philadelphia's logo is overrated at #6, but should be in the top 12.

The old Sharks was better than the busier current one.

The Penguins logo is not great, and never really has been, but it's been around so long and they won two titles in it, that I guess it's got enough history behind it we can't really get rid of it now.

The Islanders logo is overrated, but the same comments as above about time and success means it stays.

The Predators logo is overrated.

The Devils logo is underrated and should be a top 12 logo. To rate it a distant last among the "bold initials" like Calgary, Boston and Montreal ain't right.

That darn Blue Jackets logo is still better as a secondary.

The Kings logo just is not great. A crown can be a very iconic thing, and this version just isn't. Too many fine details I guess.

I liked the first 3-D Senator better, but I'd still rate this version above LA, Columbus, Dallas and Washington.

The bottom four are all accurate.

Tampa's should still be better than it is. Carolina's logo has always been upside down. We're looking at the bottom of the puck!

The Ducks logo could use a Duck in it.

The Slug is so dumb it still makes my head hurt.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

The original senator was much better than his current 3-D cousin.

Well I know someone needs to go to the loony bin.

Actually, sounds about right. The current 3-d, while better than the previous 3-d one, is still not nearly as classy as the 1992 original full-profile logo.

He's too damn cartoony right now.

Notice how most of the newer logos are ranked near the bottom? There's a message there, NHL...

"The opinions of The Hockey News generally reflects and is written for the pre-existing hockey fan and therefore is of no concern to the current operations or future of the National Hockey League"

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

the sharks (8th) logo was modeled after the pens (9th) logo. triangle background. penguin holding a stick. shark eating a stick. san jose got an expansion team the year after the pens won the cup.

Archived