The Hockey News NHL Logo Rankings

Korbyn

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The original senator was much better than his current 3-D cousin.

Well I know someone needs to go to the loony bin.

Actually, sounds about right. The current 3-d, while better than the previous 3-d one, is still not nearly as classy as the 1992 original full-profile logo.

He's too damn cartoony right now.

Ferrousoxide got it right. I absolutely loved the 2nd version (without the laurels on the brim of the helmet and added to the outer rim) of the original 2-D logo. The first 3D logo was bullcrap. The newer updated 3D is a work of art compared to the first 3D one. Honestly the Sens should've gone back to the 2D logo and jerseys they had in 95-96. Those jerseys were frigging amazing.

SignatureNHL.png

"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"

My list:

Montreal

Boston

Toronto

Detroit

New York Rangers

Philadelphia

St. Louis

Edmonton

Calgary

Chicago

Minnesota

Los Angeles

Pittsburgh

New Jersey

San Jose

Anaheim (?D? logo)

Ottawa

Nashville

Florida

Phoenix

New York Islanders

Tampa Bay

Vancouver

Colorado

Columbus

Washington

Dallas

Atlanta

Carolina

Buffalo

gagner3.png

I'm really surprised the Flames are ranked that high all of the debates I've come across have put it down also i think the Stars are too low

I think the flamin' C is a beautiful, clean, simple and instantly-recognizable logo. It deserves to be top 10, bare minimum. Personally? I'd put it top three.

I'm really surprised the Flames are ranked that high all of the debates I've come across have put it down also i think the Stars are too low

I think the flamin' C is a beautiful, clean, simple and instantly-recognizable logo. It deserves to be top 10, bare minimum. Personally? I'd put it top three.

Maybe 4-10 but it is also one of my favorites and anything else would just be stupid (See Horse alternate) never liked it

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

The original senator was much better than his current 3-D cousin.

Well I know someone needs to go to the loony bin.

Actually, sounds about right. The current 3-d, while better than the previous 3-d one, is still not nearly as classy as the 1992 original full-profile logo.

He's too damn cartoony right now.

The 3-D senator is what the AHL affiliate should be using: a cartoony version of the main logo. It has no place in the top league.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm surprised Dallas isn't at or near the bottom. I'm also surprised that that logo doesn't get more flak here; it's clipart for goodness sake. I really like simple logos but this one is just too simple for me.

The flaming C isn't even the best logo in the franchise's history.

The flaming A!

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I can't believe they called the old southwestern/Picasso Coyotes logo the worst logo of all time.

Is it Picasso? I thought it was Hopi Indian kachina-inspired.

Either way, I liked it. Not nearly the worst logo of alll time, GORTON'S FISHERMAN...

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

The flaming C isn't even the best logo in the franchise's history.

The flaming A!

I agree but thankfully it's still in use

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Logos ranked too high: Montreal, San Jose, Toronto, and Nashville (which would be last on my list)

Logos ranked too low: NY Islanders, Calgary (both should be top ten), Colorado, New Jersey, Columbus, Ottawa, and Carolina.

These are just my opinions and I'm making my decisions without regard to degrees. Whether it's 1 spot or 10, here are some of the teams that I think should move in the rankings:

Logos that should be higher: NJ, Ottawa, Carolina, Stars

Logos that should be lower: Predators, Thrashers, Flames, Sharks, Wild

Really? I mean, seriously? I'd put no higher than where it is right now, probably lower. Tell me that C isn't italicized/bolded Arial. I despise that tiny, stupid black outline. While the Atlanta Flames were iconic, this is just an unispired "update" that fails in so many ways compared to Atlanta. This could be outstanding, but instead it's just not at all.

I guess I like the Ducks more than most people. Obviously it's a tragedy they went away from the old look, but even with a lack of much other than a wordmark, it's not Terrible.

The Predators logo is probably the worst logo I've ever seen in pro sports. I like nothing about it.

My bottom 10: Calgary, Columbus, Atlanta, Anaheim, L.A., Florida, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, Nashville

My top 12: Montreal, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, Phoenix, St. Louis, Colorado, Philadelphia, Edmonton, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, New Jersey

What the hell, my middle 9: Toronto, Minnesota, Islanders, Rangers, Carolina, Washington, San Jose, Ottawa

For my part, I was never able to appreciate the Islanders' logo... Is it the shape? The way it's displayed, the colors?..

In that list, my bottom ten would be (in no particular order): Islanders, Oilers, Stars, Sabres, Lightning, Kings (is it that complicated to have a nice crown and color combination?), Predators, Devils (I would like more, lol), Ducks (non logo and and bland colors) and Capitals (like the uniforms, but it's not a logo for me)

Notice how most of the newer logos are ranked near the bottom? There's a message there, NHL...

Hmmmmmm... AND the Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs have the base baseball logo, AND the Celtics/Lakers have the best NBA logo, AND the Packers/Steelers/Giants have the best NFL logo, and Michigan has the best College football helmet, AND...

OR... How about this? The people who put lists like this together (and for that matter, a lot of the folks lurking around here) don't consider anything but age when judging a logo or uniform. "Been around for more than 50 years?? That MUST be the best!!" I live in Detroit and I see that Redwing winged wheel about 100 times a day, and I'll say this for it. Its really really old. So it must be great, right?

I hate that Montreal and Boston have their logos continually rated so high.

Look, they're chock full of a tradition and aesthetically decent. I'd never drastically change them.

But a primary logo based on initials really cannot be great, IMO. It just can't. The tradition and being nice make them good. But I don't think they can ever be great.

So knock those two down, and I think you've got a good top three with the Blackhawks, Red Wings, and Blues.

After that, there's a lot to choose from.

I think I'd fill out my top five with the Wild and the Flames.

My top 10. (Don't bother calling me a homer. I know it alread, but it's not like it's an absurd ranking.)

1. Blues

2. Blackhawks

3. Red Wings

4. Wild

5. Flames

6. Devils

7. Avalanche

8. Flyers

9. Sharks

10. Panthers

At least that's what I've got with a quick look.

Archived