The Thread of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad

Alphabet Man

Like a track runner who trained on broken glass while being chased by a mountain lion or something.

I won't watch much of the Olympics I admit, but that, I'd watch!

In other words, 20 year old male runners being chased by cougars?

Next week on Fox...

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another interesting story in this year's Games will be the emergence of a sort of "free agency" for Olympic athletes. South Dakotan Becky Hammon playing basketball for... Russia, anyone? Or how about Chris Kaman, playing hoops for Germany by way of Michigan? This guy doesn't like it.

That's nothing new. Brett Hull played in two Olympics for Team USA in Hockey.

Dear NBC,

Ya know, there's not only Americans that we'd like to know more about in these Olympics. Oh, and there's athletes from over 200 countries competing in each even besides the Americans. Oh, and we don't need that many fluff pieces on every single American athlete, we're here to watch the events, not an episode of "Biography" before each event.

Other than that, bring on the Olympics. Especially the cycling and BMX events, those are gonna be fun to watch

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

How DARE an American network profile American athletes.

Outrageous! Boycott! Boycott!

The olympics havn't peaked my interest since 1996. It's just a farce. As a kid i watched the olympics with this wide-eyed innocence most all of us had as children. Now as an adult I see the corruption, the bribes, the loss of amaturisim, and it's like any other business venture, just less entertaining.

I still love seeing the Parade of Nations. That part always gets me. Other than that? I've checked out on the olympics.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The olympics havn't peaked my interest since 1996. It's just a farce. As a kid i watched the olympics with this wide-eyed innocence most all of us had as children. Now as an adult I see the corruption, the bribes, the loss of amaturisim, and it's like any other business venture, just less entertaining.

I still love seeing the Parade of Nations. That part always gets me. Other than that? I've checked out on the olympics.

I find it ironic that you cite the loss of amateurism as one of the reasons why the Olympics has declined when the idea of amateurism was and is one of the biggest farces out there. The reason for amateurism in sports, including the Olympics, in the Victorian era was to keep sports to the upper elite the lower classes and the minorities from participating because only the upper elite could afford the training. Further more for the longest time the Olympics have never truly been amateur with all the old Soviet athletes "jobs" in the army to retain their amateur status.

As for the Olympics, yea it's a business, if it isn't treated as one you end up like Montreal having to pay for it 30 years after it was hosting disaster. That said it's still poor business because the cost are so high and there is little return long term. Maybe it's worth it if your a city like Beijing that wants to change it's image (although that doesn't seem to be working out for the Chinese) but if your a city like London in 2012 that's already a "world class" city there is little point to hosting.

As for the Opening Ceremonies I agree the Parade of Nations is nice. And now for my original reason of clicking in this thread: If you are in the States (since every other country gets live coverage) and actually want to watch the opening ceremonies live thanks to the power of the internet you can get the live CBC coverage (funny how CBC can cover things live but NBC can't).

Click here at 8 am

you know what the sad thing is the Opening Ceremonies are happening live right in the middle of NBC's Today Show so it's not like NBC would really have to interrupt local programming to bring it.

I feel exactly the way that Kinger does, especially about this part since I know where all of these random countries like, say, Kiribati, are.

The one thing that really effs it up for me is the coverage. I understand showing something in prime time, true... but what about those who want to actually see stuff live? Put it in the back, on MSNBC or CNBC? Nope, sorry, we gotta show our pre-Dow Jones show. That's more important.

Me? I'm DVRing most of the stuff. That way I can skip through. That's the best way to go.

philly.png

I feel exactly the way that Kinger does, especially about this part since I know where all of these random countries like, say, Kiribati, are.

The one thing that really effs it up for me is the coverage. I understand showing something in prime time, true... but what about those who want to actually see stuff live? Put it in the back, on MSNBC or CNBC? Nope, sorry, we gotta show our pre-Dow Jones show. That's more important.

Me? I'm DVRing most of the stuff. That way I can skip through. That's the best way to go.

As I mentioned before the sad part is the opening ceremonies are happening at the same time as the Today Show is on which is in Beijing covering the games. From watching the first hour it seems that they taped segments in Beijing because the host have to be in the stadium to cover the opening ceremony (in fact they are acting like they will be showing it live tonight). Considering the Today Show is 4 hours long and the Ceremony only 3 I don't see why they couldn't do 1 hour of news and have the rest be the opening ceremony. They could always re-air in prime time for those who miss it in the morning.

Anyways as I have said for hockey, I say for this: thank god for the internet and CBC.

The link provided isn't working apparently. Here is another feed although it's not in English nor does it have Ron Maclean's puns.

http://www.justin.tv/fenixuy1

EDIT: Better quality still not in English though.

http://a1729.l2168647534.c21686.g.lm.akama...reflector:39612

I'll still look for the CBC or BBC feeds and post them if I can find them.

EDIT 2:

Here is the BBC Feed, obviously in English.

http://www.justin.tv/mstv3

Well the Opening Ceremony is about finished now and the torch has been lit. I was about to say that it was rather unremarkable until the torch lighting which was insane.

The guy who lights the Torch flies and then runs around the side of the roof to the Cauldron.

I blacked out what happened for those in the States who didn't go online to watch it like I did.

Well the Opening Ceremony is about finished now and the torch has been lit. I was about to say that it was rather unremarkable until the torch lighting which was insane.
The guy who lights the Torch flies and then runs around the side of the roof to the Cauldron.

I just saw that as well. That really was a HOLY S***! moment

I saw, I came, I left.

Haha, it's just annoying, I still support most of our athletes (the ones that don't cheat [roids] and aren't NBA players I hate, though that can be pushed aside for 2 weeks I guess) but NBC sorta force feeds it down my throat to me.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I blacked out what happened for those in the States who didn't go online to watch it like I did.

Coolest :censored: ever.

Archived