The Thread of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad

Alphabet Man

Ouch... Liu Xiang, far and away China's biggest track star, drops out of his only event in these Games, the men's 110m hurdles. Apparently he had the same kind of hamstring problem that Tyson Gay had.

CCSLC signature.png

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ouch... Liu Xiang, far and away China's biggest track star, drops out of his only event in these Games, the men's 110m hurdles. Apparently he had the same kind of hamstring problem that Tyson Gay had.

NBC said Xiang hurt his Achilles

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Eh. I see as this: You've trained your whole life for an event that comes once every 4 years, and you only have a few shots at it. If you win at whatever you do, and can be called the Best in the World, you can act however you want, because you earned it. So put me in the crowd of the one that isn't angry at Bolt or Phelps celebrating. They earned it.

Well, yes. That's my opinion, but not put as succinctly. I only brought Phelps into the equation because he was wildly celebrated on this board for his accomplishments, and I thought it a bit much that Bolt would be put down for the exact same behavior.

My only problem with what Bolt did is that he was showboating during the race. I don't know why, but I was actually pissed that he didn't bust it all the way through the line. Maybe it's jealousy. I was a slightly above average sprinter at the DIII level, but I would have given anything to have been blessed with Bolt's size and tremendous speed. Even with him cruising, he ran the fastest time ever (even tying the fastest wind aided time)! I marveled at seeing 9.69 on the board, but I would have loved to have seen 9.63 or 9.59 up there. Bolt could have told the world, "come and beat THIS!" I'm not saying the record won't stand for a long time, but I always thought that you were supposed to give it your all, not necessarily worry about winning, but just leave it all on the track. Bolt left at least .05 on the track, and to me, that's just not acceptable.

I heard an interesting point in response to that In the IAAF circuit, a bonus is awarded for each world record. So, I'm thinking that he's saving his absolute best for those events.

I saw, I came, I left.

I am so glad to hear the old late 90's baseball and NBA on NBC themes again during the Olympics. Besides the basketball theme, where can I find the old baseball theme ? Any help would be appreciated

I'm glad post 340 concurs with post 282,,, Where can I find the theme for baseball ?

In baseball, USA runner smacks into China catcher as he tries to catch the ball, causing some argument between both managers and the ump...and someone apparently didnt think to turn off the mics near them.

oBIgzrL.png

In baseball, USA runner smacks into China catcher as he tries to catch the ball, causing some argument between both managers and the ump...and someone apparently didnt think to turn off the mics near them.

I'm not even sure what I'm wincing at, the play, or the lack of thought.

This just in: Nastia Liukin

wins the silver medal in uneven bars, failing to win the gold thanks to the tie-break system.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

This just in: Nastia Liukin wins the silver medal in uneven bars, failing to win the gold thanks to the tie-break system

Dammt! I hate it when I read the results early!

Curse you 12 hour delay!

After reading further somewhere else, she lost the gold to a Chinese gymnast..............figures. Im sure Bela Karolyi called fix once again. Ill have to reserve judgement until I actually see it, but given other events weve seen so far, I dont blame him for thinking so.

oBIgzrL.png

This just in: Nastia Liukin wins the silver medal in uneven bars, failing to win the gold thanks to the tie-break system.

Curse you 12 hour delay!

EDIT: After reading further, she lost the gold to a Chinese gymnast..............figures. Im sure Bela Karolyi called fix once again. Ill have to reserve judgement until I actually see it, but given other events weve seen so far, I dont blame him for thinking so.

Michael Phelps may be your hero, but Béla Károlyi is MINE.

:P

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

This just in: Nastia Liukin wins the silver medal in uneven bars, failing to win the gold thanks to the tie-break system

Curse you 12 hour delay!

EDIT: After reading further, she lost the gold to a Chinese gymnast..............figures. Im sure Bela Karolyi called fix once again. Ill have to reserve judgement until I actually see it, but given other events weve seen so far, I dont blame him for thinking so.

Michael Phelps may be your hero, but Béla Károlyi is MINE.

:P

Now now. Nobody ever said someone cant have more than one hero, or that we cant share heros. :D

oBIgzrL.png

Surprised nobody talked about this...but Germany's basketball team already being eliminated + USA taking the game serious as hell = 49 point blowout. JEEZ!!!

I really think there's no reason why this team could take gold. They've been smashing people like old times since the Olympics started.

I am so glad to hear the old late 90's baseball and NBA on NBC themes again during the Olympics. Besides the basketball theme, where can I find the old baseball theme ? Any help would be appreciated

I'm glad post 340 concurs with post 282,,, Where can I find the theme for baseball ?

Right here

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Said by one of the NBC commentators after one of the competitors wiped out in the womens' 100m hurdles semis: "In the women's hurdles, you've got to make it over that first hurdle." Gee, ya think?

CCSLC signature.png

Michael Phelps isn't the only American juggernaut in these Games. Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Treanor still haven't lost a set, much less a match in beach volleyball and are now in the gold medal final. Granted, they did have a little help from their Brazilian semifinal opponents, who served straight into the net on the last match point. What's the Brazilian-Portuguese word for "D'oh!"?

CCSLC signature.png

Michael Phelps isn't the only American juggernaut in these Games. Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Treanor still haven't lost a set, much less a match in beach volleyball and are now in the gold medal final. Granted, they did have a little help from their Brazilian semifinal opponents, who served straight into the net on the last match point. What's the Brazilian-Portuguese word for "D'oh!"?

Perhaps they're saying ObrigaD'OH?

I saw, I came, I left.

Surprised nobody talked about this...but Germany's basketball team already being eliminated + USA taking the game serious as hell = 49 point blowout. JEEZ!!!

I really think there's no reason why this team could take gold. They've been smashing people like old times since the Olympics started.

It's basketball, Flame. That's why. Most of the cats here only talk about basketball when they are trashing it. If Team USA takes the gold, you won't see :censored: here, but if they lose, watch all the haters crawl out like maggots.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived