The Thread of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad

Alphabet Man

Ever since reading the result, I was waiting for his reaction to post this:

Beladontapprove.jpg

Points to him for speaking his mind, at least. Not the fluffed up sugarcoated NBC stuff weve mostly heard.

About the actual result. I dont really agree with it either, and Im not saying that there is something definatively wrong with the judging, but looking at everything thats happened, this does look a teeensy bit shady. But whatever...

...though it still doesnt help knowing that the Chinese gymnasts arent supposed to be there anyways.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know not many people care about the USA basketball team, so probably much fewer care about Australia, but they did pretty well.

Andrew Bogut had a killer slam in the Boomers' defeat against Russia, eliminating them. They went on to win one more game (their last in pool play) to push themselves into the "playoffs," and this team was supposed to be second-last (Iran was projected to be the worst).

I agree that USA should take nothing for granted, because Australia in the pre-Olympic warm-ups gave USA their toughest challenge/closest game to date, and they now get to face them again with a lot on the line. Revenge? (They also had a number of their players, including a couple of starters, sit for the pre-Olympic warm-up, so they'll be full-strength for the first time against USA. They did pretty well half-strength, so we'll see. I'm hoping for the first competitive game for the U.S. in these Olympics.)

Lolo Jones reaction makes me go lol.

That's because you're a prick. Someone trains their whole life for this event, does it perfectly 99% of the time, messes up on the world's biggest stage and you laugh about it? Wonderful, just wonderful. No wonder you are in the situation you are in, you're a miserable person.

Not apologizing.

You have no sense of humor.

I certainly do when there's comedy involved.

I feel really awful for Lolo, though I thought it was pretty bad that they spent about 10 minutes agonizing with her over it before finally spending about three minutes with the American girl who won.

Meh.

I feel really awful for Lolo, though I thought it was pretty bad that they spent about 10 minutes agonizing with her over it before finally spending about three minutes with the American girl who won.

Meh.

It got to the point where the replays were so incessant, my girlfriend made me change the channel. I realize it's an unexpected result and a heart-wrenching mishap on a global stage and all that, but NBC did everything short of plastering "EPIC FAIL!" on the screen, and it really was unsettling. Lolo gets all kinds of bonus points in my book for the incredible composure and class she showed in that post-race interview, including stopping mid-thought to hug the silver-winning Aussie walking by and congratulate her.

Go get 'em in London, Lolo.

Adventures_of_Lolo_2_Cover.png

Meh.

Yeah, I noticed that...I would think that they would've flipped immediately to the other American that won, but nope. They really milked the crap out of that particular story.

Johnson and Liukin finish 1, 2 to finish off womens gymnastics...

...and, when told USA got two more medals than China in womens gymnastics, Bela gave a reaction that allows me to use this, contrasting the one I posted up top...

roflbot-iMQq1.jpg

Archived