The Thread of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad

Alphabet Man

On MSNBC this afternoon, they had their correspondent talking about the loss of the Baseball and Softball in the future. She claims it was because a majority of the IOC is European and they just don't understand/compete/want Softball and Baseball in the future Olympics.

That is very true, and a bigger part then anyone wants to admit.

Its not the US dominance in softball because then they should eliminate Ping Pong because of China's dominance.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On MSNBC this afternoon, they had their correspondent talking about the loss of the Baseball and Softball in the future. She claims it was because a majority of the IOC is European and they just don't understand/compete/want Softball and Baseball in the future Olympics.

That is very true, and a bigger part then anyone wants to admit.

Its not the US dominance in softball because then they should eliminate Ping Pong because of China's dominance.

It's not the US dominance at all, it's just the lack of globalization of baseball -- probably the same reason why cricket and rugby isn't in the olympics

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

It's not the US dominance at all, it's just the lack of globalization of baseball -- probably the same reason why cricket and rugby isn't in the olympics

I was thinking the real reason why cricket isn't in the olympics was because it takes three days to play one game

We just had people telling us that Australia was going to give Team USA a "good game" because the Aussies lost by 11 or something without Andrew Bogus...err, Bogut. Hell yeah they needed to put the boots to 'em to show all the haters. And Team USA is going to have to keep putting the boots on whoever they play (if they can), because nothing they ever do is good enough. They have to win gold and dominate every game they play or they'll be looked at colossal failures.

Woah, hey now. I think you're referring to how I said it should be a good game, but that doesn't make me a hater. I just meant that I want to watch a good, competitive game, for the sake of watching a good game. I thought Australia was a good story for having eliminated Russia and made it to the elimination round, and frankly, it's about time Team USA plays a half-way decent game. They play like crap and win by a lot because, as much as the competition is hyped, there is really no competition at all. I just want one team to match up well with them so I don't have to witness the commentators slurp Kobe and Lebron like it's an NBA game, while Team USA goes on a ridiculous run of fastbreaks. Solid games > Highlight reels.

I'm not hating on USA, and I hope they win it all, but as a spectator, I'd either like the game to be exciting or fundamentally sound, and their beat-downs of Germany, etc. have been neither.

And Bogut is solid, by the way. He got into foul trouble this game, though, which clearly hurt his team.

I agree, though, that if they don't win, people will think it's the apocalypse.

We just had people telling us that Australia was going to give Team USA a "good game" because the Aussies lost by 11 or something without Andrew Bogus...err, Bogut. Hell yeah they needed to put the boots to 'em to show all the haters. And Team USA is going to have to keep putting the boots on whoever they play (if they can), because nothing they ever do is good enough. They have to win gold and dominate every game they play or they'll be looked at colossal failures.

Woah, hey now. I think you're referring to how I said it should be a good game, but that doesn't make me a hater. I just meant that I want to watch a good, competitive game, for the sake of watching a good game. I thought Australia was a good story for having eliminated Russia and made it to the elimination round, and frankly, it's about time Team USA plays a half-way decent game. They play like crap and win by a lot because, as much as the competition is hyped, there is really no competition at all. I just want one team to match up well with them so I don't have to witness the commentators slurp Kobe and Lebron like it's an NBA game, while Team USA goes on a ridiculous run of fastbreaks. Solid games > Highlight reels.

I'm not hating on USA, and I hope they win it all, but as a spectator, I'd either like the game to be exciting or fundamentally sound, and their beat-downs of Germany, etc. have been neither.

And Bogut is solid, by the way. He got into foul trouble this game, though, which clearly hurt his team.

I agree, though, that if they don't win, people will think it's the apocalypse.

Wait...you're not a hater? Sorry if I got confused. :)

Face it, Team USA has played well. The only things lacking are three-point and free throw accuracy at the level you'd expect. Have you actually watched them play? They play suffocating defense, and their passing has been exceptional. If they were playing like crap, how in the :censored: were they getting these fast breaks and blowing these teams out?

Bogut is solid, but he's not number 1 overall pick solid. He's not a bust, but he's not yet to a Chris Kaman level of play either.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Bolt just took the 200M with ease... well, at least he didn't showboat until after the race this time.

You know what was also crazy about the result? The second and third place finishers were DQ'ed for crossing their lanes. :blink:

I saw, I came, I left.

yea they dont call it cricket for nothing the fans are so bored all you hear is crickets

No, that's the reaction to your "jokes".

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

yea they dont call it cricket for nothing the fans are so bored all you hear is crickets

no, no... crickets have better reasons to make noise...

So it IS the cricket match, then.

I see, my mistake.

:P

The just occurred to me: I think one of the issues about cricket being in the olmypics isn't so much about the popularity to global outreach, it's what do you do about the West Indies team?

Going by the World Cup fields, cricket does have at least one decent squad in every continent except South America (there is India, which has 1 billion people) while rugby does have a decent squad in each continent.

I saw, I came, I left.

Bah my jokes are gold baby pure gold

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Turn in your unwanted, unused, or broken gold for cash, at Cash4Gold.com.

Turn in your unwanted or broken gold for cash, at cash4gold.com!

Get started.

win?

oBIgzrL.png

Bolt wins the 200m with another world record, running all-out all the way through this time.

Meanwhile the second and third-place finishers both got DQ'd for stepping on their inside lane lines. :lol:

All the Bolt posts come 10 hours after the race... I guess NBC finally showed the race.

While I understand why the USOC made the protest (in retaliation to their own DQ), the protest eventually took away the only medal the Netherlands Antilles probably would have won in these Olympics

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived