Alphabet Man

The Thread of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad

I figured that he would've 'redeemed' himself after running a full 200 and breaking Michael Johnson's WR from the 96 Olympics, a record that many felt would be untouchable and stood for 12 years.

But eh.

I hear you, Flame, but people don't care about the 200 meters like they do about the 100.

People should though; Bolt ran a 9.69 in the 100 and 19.30 in the 200. He is even faster in the 200 than the 100 which is astounding. I mean, he just left everyone in the dust (in both races.)

Coming back to Michael Phelps for a moment: His mom and sisters were big supporters, but in case you were wondering, here's why Dad wasn't there with them.

Then again, if I were a world-class athlete - or for that matter, a celebrity of any kind - whose father happened to have the same name as the infamous "God Hates F@gs" minister from Westboro Baptist Church, I might not be terribly upset that he's keeping his distance from me.

We got a huge shocker is Softball... The Americans... LOSE! Japan wins the Gold Medal game against the USA.

So much for our dominance in Softball.

Why is it that American websites list the overall medal standings by total medals won, and all of the other sites I've been to (Australia, Canada, U.K., Germany, etc.) list them by gold medals won? I don't particularly think the overall medals standings are worth anything, I just found this a bit odd...

The West Coast just saw Bolt win the 200.

What's it to this jackass announcer that Bolt didn't beat the 100 record by enough? Why should he care? The man is clearly having a good go of things. Why should he have to please anyone else?

Seriously. Stop calling him a clown.

I guess IOC President Jacques Rogge shouldn't care about Bolt's boorish behavior either, huh?

Please. Like the IOC has any standing when it comes to morality on any issue. It's an organization dedicated to fleecing big money out of cities that most often don't get a return on their investment when it comes to hosting the games. Let the IOC not require several billions of dollars in stadium building funds for a two-week show, and they can criticize what one guy does after winning a race.

If the Olympic games were about the Olympic spirit, that would be one thing. But they're such an obvious cash grab dependent in part on compelling stars. Bolt is such a compelling star. Don't help create the environment that allows individuals to be part of the public eye -- and for track stars, this is their one and only chance -- and then complain when they take advantage of it. Bolt is a big story for two weeks in August 2008. By summer 2012, will his record still stand? Will he matter anymore? Does anyone care about Afasa Powell anymore?

I think we should let the man use his 15 minutes however he sees fit. It's his talent, his time, and his stage.

USA WOMEN WIN THE GOLD!!!

(I know I may be late with this here...but I'm on the other side of the globe...everything we get is tape-delayed.)

I just finished watching this here soccer game...#10 for Brazil missed so many daggone scoring chances during that second ET. Shoot...she missed a lot of opportunities the whole game. As for the US defense in the ET...way to not break down! (Although I did see where the U.S. was THISCLOSE to tacking on a second goal.)

Either way it goes... :flagusa:

(Side note: watching this entire soccer tournament has rekindled my interest in the international game of futbol...I used to play this here when I was in middle school, so I have some memory of it. But man...that was some match! And seeing a bunch of beautiful solid women running around giving it their all--their hearts, minds, and in the case of Brasil's #10, her soul--just made this here gold medal match that much more entertaining, for me at least.)

I figured that he would've 'redeemed' himself after running a full 200 and breaking Michael Johnson's WR from the 96 Olympics, a record that many felt would be untouchable and stood for 12 years.

But eh.

I hear you, Flame, but people don't care about the 200 meters like they do about the 100.

People should though; Bolt ran a 9.69 in the 100 and 19.30 in the 200. He is even faster in the 200 than the 100 which is astounding. I mean, he just left everyone in the dust (in both races.)

How do you figure he is "even faster in the 200 than the 100"?

The difference in the average speeds between the two was 100 metres per hour (0.1 km/h or 0.06 miles/hr) even WITH the toe-drag and 20m of showboating in the 100m and the full-out super run of the 200m.

He's clearly much faster in the 100.

I think the most ridiculous part of it is that his 40 time would be around 3.5...which is disgustingly incredible...

Why is it that American websites list the overall medal standings by total medals won, and all of the other sites I've been to (Australia, Canada, U.K., Germany, etc.) list them by gold medals won? I don't particularly think the overall medals standings are worth anything, I just found this a bit odd...

Because everyone everywhere else hates America.

Because America is in first place when it comes to total medals, if we go by gold then our big bad united states aren't in first.

I think they should all use a medal point system. 3 for gold, 2 for silver, 1 for bronze. That way a bronze medal doesn't count the same as a gold medal.

Because America is in first place when it comes to total medals, if we go by gold then our big bad united states aren't in first.

I think they should all use a medal point system. 3 for gold, 2 for silver, 1 for bronze. That way a bronze medal doesn't count the same as a gold medal.

Interesting...under a 3-2-1 system the standings would go a little something like this:

1. China - 190 points (46 15 22)

2. USA - 187 (29 34 32)

3. Russia - 99 (16 16 19)

4. Great Britain - 86 (17 12 11)

5. Australia - 73 (11 13 14)

6. Germany - 61 (11 8 12)

We got a huge shocker is Softball... The Americans... LOSE! Japan wins the Gold Medal game against the USA.

And there goes my argument for the US being too dominant. Wow, that's a huge upset right there.

Please. Like the IOC has any standing when it comes to morality on any issue. It's an organization dedicated to fleecing big money out of cities that most often don't get a return on their investment when it comes to hosting the games.

Oh, come on. Do you really think that that is their only reason for being around? That theyre really planning on doing that to a city every two years?

I dont mean this against you personally, but why do some people never lighten up and always need to see and assume the worst in things? I understand being realistic, but come on. The world may not be all sunshine and candy, but it isnt all doom and gloom either.

Please. Like the IOC has any standing when it comes to morality on any issue. It's an organization dedicated to fleecing big money out of cities that most often don't get a return on their investment when it comes to hosting the games.

Oh, come on. Do you really think that that is their only reason for being around? That theyre really planning on doing that to a city every two years?

I dont mean this against you personally, but why do some people never lighten up and always need to see and assume the worst in things? I understand being realistic, but come on. The world may not be all sunshine and candy, but it isnt all doom and gloom either.

It's called Liberalism.

:D

Clever ploy by the US team so that they can keep softball in the Olympics. :P

You do know to whom you were replying, right? We don't call him David Downer for nothing.

And there goes my argument for the US being too dominant. Wow, that's a huge upset right there.

NIt that shocking if you wtached the games the USA had their toughest games against Japan and a 1 game series anything can happen, if it were best of 5 or best of 7 USA wins 4 of 5 or 5 of 7 but winning all three games is tough. Perhaps if baseball ever returns to the Olympics they should do best 2 of 3 in the final like the CWS does.

Cheaters never win.

Actually, they do.

rings.jpg