The Thread of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad

Alphabet Man

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not surprisingly, its on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW67awStKVY

That video doesn't seem to want to play all the way through.

Fortunately there is a considerably higher-quality video of the incident on the NBC Olympics site.

Edit/update: Olympic "silly season" is officially upon us now, as TV coverage turns to the compelling, historically weighty events of synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics.

CCSLC signature.png

Ara Abrahamian move over.

You are no longer the worst sore loser at the 2008 Games in Beijing

A Cuban taekwondo Angel Matos has reached a Phelpsian standard in lows with a full karate kick to the head of the ref in the Bronze Medal Match in Beijing

oly_g_matos_300.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/jud...tory?id=3549903

All I'm going to say is... well... WTF?

I'd say the lifetime ban is warranted, but I'd also consider a ban on Cuban jins in the 2012 Olympic tournament.

LvZYtbZ.png

I figured that he would've 'redeemed' himself after running a full 200 and breaking Michael Johnson's WR from the 96 Olympics, a record that many felt would be untouchable and stood for 12 years.

But eh.

I hear you, Flame, but people don't care about the 200 meters like they do about the 100.

People should though; Bolt ran a 9.69 in the 100 and 19.30 in the 200. He is even faster in the 200 than the 100 which is astounding. I mean, he just left everyone in the dust (in both races.)

How do you figure he is "even faster in the 200 than the 100"?

The difference in the average speeds between the two was 100 metres per hour (0.1 km/h or 0.06 miles/hr) even WITH the toe-drag and 20m of showboating in the 100m and the full-out super run of the 200m.

He's clearly much faster in the 100.

Much late for a response; I was on vacation this weekend. What my logic was based on was Bolt's time in the 100 (9.69 seconds) and his time in the 200 (19.30 seconds.) 100 x 2 is 200 and 9.69 x 2 is more than 19.30 which is why I came to the conclusion that he is faster in the 200 than the 100.

sillydemocracy128640140170122924.jpg

Isn't china communist though?

That's the point.

well the picture and the words in my mind say that the Cuban is saying china is a democracy and that they should change but i now see what your saying

The ref he kicked is from Sweden.

sillydemocracy128640140170122924.jpg

Isn't china communist though?

That's the point.

well the picture and the words in my mind say that the Cuban is saying china is a democracy and that they should change but i now see what your saying

The ref he kicked is from Sweden.

So basically, the Cuban was showing Sweden the right way to protest a loss?

I saw, I came, I left.

Speaking of diving, the Chinese DID NOT get gold in all 8 events. Matthew Mitcham got the gold in the 10m platform.

That dive was disgustingly good...there was virtually ZERO splash either...I see maybe 4-5 dives a year granted (of course only the olympics) and that was still just incredible...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Now here's an interesting story, Iceland is in the final of the team handball competition.

With all the frostbite, you'd think they'd have a problem fielding a team.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Now here's an interesting story, Iceland is in the final of the team handball competition.

... and ironically, Iceland have never won a medal in the WINTER Olmypics.

Also, have a look at the average temps in Iceland... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland#Climate

I saw, I came, I left.

... and ironically, Iceland have never won a medal in the WINTER Olmypics.

Also, have a look at the average temps in Iceland... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland#Climate

Well damn. Thanks for taking all of the fun out of it for me. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived