The Thread of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad

Alphabet Man

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Team USA loves the Dunks!

USA definitely had more of them, but the dunk of the game would have to be Yi Jianlian's tip slam for his first points of the game.

I was hoping for something more competitive for both halves, however.

If it had been more competitive than the 101-70 drubbing, people would have been bemoaning the "effort" of Team USA, and the sky would have been falling.

Interesting finals in some of the other games, too:

Group A:

Lithuania 79, Argentina 75 - the defending gold medalists are not the same team they were in 2004, but they should advance out of group play.

Group B:

Spain 81, Greece 66 - a matchup of the teams widely considered the biggest threat to challenge Team USA for the gold--all 3 are in Group B. Spain has a roster 7 deep of NBA players, including the Gasol Brothers, and keep your eye out for a kid off the bench named Ricky Rubio that is getting all kinds of buzz as a top 5 pick in the 2009 NBA Draft.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

If anyone is watching right now, Alicia Sacramone's father is my dentist, so that's pretty cool kind of knowing a big-time Olympian. He's there now watching, and he was on local TV last night commenting on the father-in-law who was murdered. Too bad she messed up, hopefully she can come back.

Can someone here tell me why sychronized diving gets to stick around while softball and baseball get the axe after these Games?

Synchronized diving is sending their best. Baseball doesn't allow their major leaguers to go. Softball, because USA will always win it. ^_^

Can someone here tell me why sychronized diving gets to stick around while softball and baseball get the axe after these Games?

One reasonable explanation might be than more countries participate in synchronized diving than American-developed base sports, and that increased worldwide participation is a better justification for keeping a sport in the Olympics than appealing to Southern jingoists who take far too much personally.

For every sport than Americans might be comfortable with, there are others than have far more worldwide reach (at least based on population that cares) or would be more immediately interesting to people not already familiarized. If softball and baseball get to stay, should we add cricket? Rugby? Hurling? A billion people in India and millions more throughout Europe, Southeast Asia, and South Africa would probably be thrilled to see cricket added to the Games. Should we? If not, why not?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

One reasonable explanation might be than more countries participate in synchronized diving than American-developed base sports, and that increased worldwide participation is a better justification for keeping a sport in the Olympics than appealing to Southern jingoists who take far too much personally.

For every sport than Americans might be comfortable with, there are others than have far more worldwide reach (at least based on population that cares) or would be more immediately interesting to people not already familiarized. If softball and baseball get to stay, should we add cricket? Rugby? Hurling? A billion people in India and millions more throughout Europe, Southeast Asia, and South Africa would probably be thrilled to see cricket added to the Games. Should we? If not, why not?

I'm all for adding cricket. The US has a team, I believe. I think cricket could take off here if given the opportunity.

How many people here can name a synchronized diving tandem without looking at the television or looking it up online? If you say, "I can.", you're either related to them or you're lying. Sychronized diving does not have the popularity baseball/softball do, no way in hell you can dispute that.

Then again, I am of thought that I'd demote these judged-scoring events to demonstration status in the Olympics. Whenever you're relying on personal bias to determine a winner, you are never guarenteed equal footing for the athletes involved.

IIRC before the Athens Games, one of the online poker sites lampooned these questionable events by launching a campaign to make poker an Olympic sport.

As for these Olympics, so far so good for Team USA, at least up until tonight, with the womens' gymnastics team running into serious problems. Still, it looks as though they will be able to advance.

Edit/Update: The Olympic poker movement is apparently still alive and well, at least if this Google search is any indication.

CCSLC signature.png

Watching the gymnastics has me thinking (First off, only reason I care is that a certain Ms. Johnson is from West Des Moines, so I got a bit of a local pull here): Is it me or do they all look like they're underaged?

Watching the gymnastics has me thinking (First off, only reason I care is that a certain Ms. Johnson is from West Des Moines, so I got a bit of a local pull here): Is it me or do they all look like they're underaged?

The announcers brought this up during China's team performance, and even went so far as to insinuate (by their reference to "competition passports" and noting that almost all of the Chinese gymnasts were officially listed as 16 years old) that TPTB in Chinese sports were systematically tampering with their birth records.

CCSLC signature.png

Thank to the interwebs, I can get my team handball fix. :woot: well, those penalty shots are not are easy as it looks.

Wow, when you said "Team handball FTW" a couple of posts ago, I assumed you were sarcastic. After all, that's probably the first time that phrase has ever been said in human history...

It's actually kinda fun to watch. I just thought you were joking.

Thank to the interwebs, I can get my team handball fix. :woot: well, those penalty shots are not are easy as it looks.

Wow, when you said "Team handball FTW" a couple of posts ago, I assumed you were sarcastic. After all, that's probably the first time that phrase has ever been said in human history...

It's actually kinda fun to watch. I just thought you were joking.

Yeah, it is hard to tell whether I'm joking or not sometimes ^_^ After trying it out one time in gym class in high school, I was quite hooked and really looked out for it in the Olympics since.

I just watched a Kazakhstan - France women's handball match. I really enjoyed it. It was close match throughout until France score a couple of times and shut down the Kazakh's attack near the end. Though, they might have to throw in some variety in music. The intro to Linkin Park's "What I've Done" was constantly playing during breaks, particularly before penalities.

I saw, I came, I left.

Not just you. After reading about the controversy involving the supposedly forged passports for the Chinese team, and seeing said team perform, I think that report has some merit. Some of those girls look like they're 12 for crying out loud, and even then, they put them in the same skimpy looking uniforms. Definitely a problem here.

VmWIn6B.png

EDIT: Nevermind the original post.

I just saw the Chinese girls on television and they are remarkably young. It looks like a scandal brewing, but how could anyone prove age tampering? If China wants the official records to be doctored, they'll be doctored, huh?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived