The Thread of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad

Alphabet Man

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's wild to see that the Chinese team and their fans were going bananas for winning gold, the Japanese team being despondent by winning silver, and the American team going just as bananas as the Chinese for winning bronze. It's an odd combination.

But it makes sense if you know the whole picture

For China it was Gold or Bust as their Coach said he would kill himself if they had lost. (Knowing the Chinese Gov he would have some help)

For Japan they won Gold in 2004 they are bitter rivals with China so Silver is a bitter pill

For the USA we were banged up and just winning a medal is a huge acomplishment.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Quickly, I will say this...NBC for the most part has kept with their commentators and they have gotten much better [i won't mention familiar names like Trautwig, Hicks (sucks at golf), Lampley, Hammond, Breen, Ted Robinson). Even most others, we on this thread know aout from somewhere.

Tim Daggett (a spare on the '84 team but has gotten much better since 96)

Teddy Atlas (tells us of the beter pro prospects, and realizes AIBA is rigged)

Chris Marlowe (he won a gold in '84 and is now a good PBP and does the Nuggets)

Joe Jacobi (He was the first gold medalist I had dinner with in 1992.. REALLY good guy)

The only reason Bush is in Beijing and not doing something worthwhile is because only five people like him anymore and Beijing is one of the few places he won't be booed. The man has a right to spread some goodwill, but it doesn't make him some kind of hero. That ship sailed a long time ago.

Well, that, and he doesn't want to contemplate/talk about how his entire Central Asia/Caucaus region foreign policy is getting blown to smithereens by a massive Soviet Russian tank/jet blitzkrieg.

Right. Any way he looks, it's bad news for Bush. If I were him, I'd be hiding out at sports contests too.

I caught a quick glimpse at Lou Dobbs Tonight last night and he made that point. He showed that picture of Bush with the beach volleyballers, but then showing a graphic of Russian troops advancing into Georgia and did that for the next couple of pics. Bush and the swimming, then Russia moving further in. But, what can Bush really do other than words? Send troops there? The military is stretched thin as it is.

Sports and politics, unfortunately do mix, especially at the Olympics. What the :censored: do you think the Chinese are using the Olympics for? What about the 1936 Olympics? Taxpayers funded stadiums are also an example. If sports weren't so important to people, then politics would never get involved. I'm sure the Cubans are thrilled that the women's volleyball team beat the Americans yesterday.

I must say, the Chinese hope the whole Phelps continues his quest for 8 golds, because it's been overtaking the pollution, and human rights issues.

Also, India gets its first ever individual gold medal in the 10m air rifle. Speak volumes about the differences between India and China when it comes to the Olympics. :blink:

I saw, I came, I left.

And another WR he is amazing. I dont know much about swimming but he has to be the best swimmer ever he just stes these records like t hey are nothing.

Part of it's the new suit he and the other swimmers are wearing. Records have been dropping like flies since that came out.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Spain holds off the Chinese rally and wins in OT. Chinese basketball isn't quite there yet, and the Spaniards look good.

The looked good at the end, but as defending world champions, I expected more from Spain. What's the deal with some of the Spaniards wearing the first name on the back of the jersey and just having their country's abbreviation on the front? USA, I get, but ESP?

I saw, I came, I left.

The only reason Bush is in Beijing and not doing something worthwhile is because only five people like him anymore and Beijing is one of the few places he won't be booed. The man has a right to spread some goodwill, but it doesn't make him some kind of hero. That ship sailed a long time ago.

Well, that, and he doesn't want to contemplate/talk about how his entire Central Asia/Caucaus region foreign policy is getting blown to smithereens by a massive Soviet Russian tank/jet blitzkrieg.

Right. Any way he looks, it's bad news for Bush. If I were him, I'd be hiding out at sports contests too.

I caught a quick glimpse at Lou Dobbs Tonight last night and he made that point. He showed that picture of Bush with the beach volleyballers, but then showing a graphic of Russian troops advancing into Georgia and did that for the next couple of pics. Bush and the swimming, then Russia moving further in. But, what can Bush really do other than words? Send troops there? The military is stretched thin as it is.

Sports and politics, unfortunately do mix, especially at the Olympics. What the :censored: do you think the Chinese are using the Olympics for? What about the 1936 Olympics? Taxpayers funded stadiums are also an example. If sports weren't so important to people, then politics would never get involved. I'm sure the Cubans are thrilled that the women's volleyball team beat the Americans yesterday.

I must say, the Chinese hope the whole Phelps continues his quest for 8 golds, because it's been overtaking the pollution, and human rights issues.

Also, India gets its first ever individual gold medal in the 10m air rifle. Speak volumes about the differences between India and China when it comes to the Olympics. :blink:

Bush let it be known to Putin how he was not happy about the Russian invasion, and as previously mentioned, what else can he do? He can't just go stand in front of a tank and stop the whole thing. He even spoke pretty publicly and frankly about how, China has shown some good changes, but much is still needed, and even said what still needed to change, and at a press conference with the China PM. Plus, the athletes all got a kick out of him being there and being so social with them. And it didn't look like some awkward publicity stunt type of thing where they're all together, but look extremely uncomfortable. He was having a good time and so were they. Did you see the Women's BB team waving to him at the Men's game as he was leaving? I think his stay there was good for all our athletes.

Boukpeti of Togo wins the Bronze in whitewater, the first medal ever for Togo! He was on pace for gold, but there was one spot he kinda slowed down on, still it's fun to see things like that.

"Togo's first medallist at an Olympics, white water kayaker Benjamin Boukpeti, said it was finally time for him to visit the country he competes for." :lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/7718858

I saw, I came, I left.

Why is tennis in the olympics? Isn't every tournament on the tour an international competition?

Either way, Beijing has a pretty nice facility for tennis. Actually, all their buildings lok good. I'm impressed, it looks better than I thought it would.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Why is tennis in the olympics? Isn't every tournament on the tour an international competition?

Either way, Beijing has a pretty nice facility for tennis. Actually, all their buildings lok good. I'm impressed, it looks better than I thought it would.

You do realize that every sport in the Olympics has international events outside of the Olympics? I don't mind the Tennis in the Olympics it gives the sport another major tournament every 4 years instead of random US Open warm-ups that no one cares about.

Boukpeti of Togo wins the Bronze in whitewater, the first medal ever for Togo! He was on pace for gold, but there was one spot he kinda slowed down on, still it's fun to see things like that.

"Togo's first medallist at an Olympics, white water kayaker Benjamin Boukpeti, said it was finally time for him to visit the country he competes for." :lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/7718858

That's funny. Having spent a month in Togo, I'm more Togolese than that guy. I call dibs on his medal.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived