Raster To Vector Info

WEIRDWOLF

Ok..this is probably an ignorant question and I am prepared for the abuse but when you say you are going to vectorize a graphic are you using a software that automates the task leaving only some cleanup to do or are you doing the vectorizing by tracing it by hand in Illustrator

I don't need an explanation of the difference between raster and vector. I'm just curious about the process that you go through to get to the completed vectorized graphic. If you do use a program to automate the task...what program is it and which are the best ones out there to purchase?

Deep In the Bowels Of Arrowhead

If i wanted to vector any of my old raster images its a matter of retracing with illustrator... got very good at tracing... if there is a decent raster to vector program I havent heard of it... its all about the redo

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

there are programs that can somewhat auto-trace, but they're not too good. Adobe has Streamline and Corel has OCR-trace. you can also you the magic wand or lasso tools in photoshop and export paths to illustrator (create the vector paths from psd, but it's not too great either). it's much easier and more accurate to redraw with the pen tools in the illustration software you prefer.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

Bottom line WEIRDWOLF is that it's better to trace the image yourself. You don't have to use Illustrator either. There's a lot of programs out there that have the capability of dealing with vector images. Illustrator maybe the industry leader but it's not the lone vectorizing program.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

But it is the only one I'd reccomend you use...

Its the only one 99% of print shops, screen shops, designers, etc have. Standard is an understatement.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Thanks everybody! Very helpful info. I kind of figured that was the case but I didn't want to miss out on some great secret if there was one. Geesh, I am a little disappointed that no one called me a "newbie loser" or something worse. 99% of the other forums on the web would have berated me in some way. Whats wrong with you guys!?! LOL I guess I'll have to go back to ww.whipyourself.com for the required abuse. Thanks again!!!

Deep In the Bowels Of Arrowhead

Its the only one 99% of print shops, screen shops, designers, etc have. Standard is an understatement.

Include regina in the 1%... i swear all the places here only use Corel Draw... and I use AI 10...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Excuse me but Macromedia Freehand is a close second to Illustrator. In fact, a lot of people consider it a tie between them as the industry leader. It surprises me that a logo guro such as yourself doesn't know such a thing.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Include regina in the 1%... i swear all the places here only use Corel Draw... and I use AI 10...

You can still open Illustrator files in Corel Draw however.

Archived