Clippers-- Worst Look In B-ball?

B-Rich

Last night I attended the Hornets-Clippers game. The Clippers wore their alternate uni (they played the night before in Dallas, so I guess the away reds were dirty or something). Anyway, IMHO, it was one of the plainest, least inspired boring looks i've seen:

clipsalt.jpg

Of course, it's not much worse than their regular home or away combo:

clipshome.jpgclipsaway.jpg

Why is this look so plain and uninspired? And so WRONG? First of all, why doesn't the name plate have the same font style as the logo? It used to, back in the day. What's with the change to script? And with an interesting, inspired name with all kinds of motif tie-ins--sailing ships, nautical stuff, the whole "Clippers" thing-- why does the logo and uni make no connection whatsoever?

My guess is that this all ties in to the team's cheapskate owner, Donald Sterling. He bought the team in 1981, and the following year he dropped the nautical motif logo for the one which simply featured the basketball, and also dropped the blue and orange for red, white and blue. Two years later, he moved the team to LA.

When I look at the Clippers throwback unis-- with the interesting colors and nautical flags, etc., I'm inclined to think--"what a waste".

:huh:

It is what it is.

I don't think the nameplate has to be the same font style as the logo... it may have been at one point, but a cursive font would make many names rather difficult to read... and to have another basketball team with their name written in plain block font across the front would not make for a more interesting uniform.

Really, I don't get what your point is here. Lots of NBA uniforms are below the creativity average of the latest design trends. (see: Celtics, Bulls, etc. etc.) That doesn't mean they're bad.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I'd still like to see the nautical flags down the side of the shorts, however. That'd be the only thing I'd add to these uniforms -- other than maybe a new home city on the alternate :D . Get them outta Los Angeles, damnit!

IUe6Hvh.png

I actually like the Clippers alternate jerseys compared to their regualr jerseys atleast.

However it has been discused at length that the Clippers are in dire need of a complete overhaul.

They need to move too, but thats another story.

Their current logo makes them look like a Lakers knock off, which they are.

They at the very least new uniform and a new logo, and a new color scheme will not be a bad idea either.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Personally I think the Clippers look is better now than it has been in years. They're throwback uniform's with the nautical flags are nice but I don't think we're going to see them go back to something like that. Simplicity is what makes a great uniform. The Boston Celtics have one of the top 5 uniforms in the NBA.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

I've posted these logos many times before and isn't it weird that the Clippers look/style keeps getting questioned.

clippers.jpg

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

no he made those :Oo:

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Last night I attended the Hornets-Clippers game. The Clippers wore their alternate uni (they played the night before in Dallas, so I guess the away reds were dirty or something). Anyway, IMHO, it was one of the plainest, least inspired boring looks i've seen:

clipsalt.jpg

Of course, it's not much worse than their regular home or away combo:

clipshome.jpgclipsaway.jpg

Why is this look so plain and uninspired? And so WRONG? First of all, why doesn't the name plate have the same font style as the logo?  It used to, back in the day. What's with the change to script? And with an interesting, inspired name with all kinds of motif tie-ins--sailing ships, nautical stuff, the whole "Clippers" thing-- why does the logo and uni make no connection whatsoever?

My guess is that this all ties in to the team's cheapskate owner, Donald Sterling. He bought the team in 1981, and the following year he dropped the nautical motif logo for the one which simply featured the basketball, and also dropped the blue and orange for red, white and blue. Two years later, he moved the team to LA.

When I look at the Clippers throwback unis-- with the interesting colors and nautical flags, etc., I'm inclined to think--"what a waste".

:huh:

Wow, they're such a poorly run franchise they can't even spell their own players' names right: I'm 99.99% sure it's WILCOX, not WILLCOX...

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

I doubt that was the Clippers fault. Keep in mind that the organizations themselves to make the jerseys. These jerseys were probably contracted out to someone else. Looks like Reebok made the mistakes.

Retired Number's To Come

GMS is right, those are kc51's, he originally made it with different colors I think, or changed them, anyways he made 2 sets.

No kidding! :notworthy:

Retired Number's To Come

The move to Anaheim was possible when the then-Anaheim Arena was being built. They stayed because LA was talking about trying to build their downtown "bigger than Anaheim's" arena. Of course, the team needs a whole overhaul, not just logos. But first things first get a new look that the players and all Clippers fans (if there are any).

Chris, when you had that original logo contest, didn't someone have a really good look Clippers logo?

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I think that those Clipper alternates are the nicest jerseys in the league. They're very professional looking.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Archived