Xtreme Makeover: NFL Edition

chestnutz

So, in searching for something to do, I decided to start a new series. How long I'll go, I'm not sure. Xtreme Makeover: NFL Edition! Complete with poor spelling of Xtreme!!!!!!!!

So first up is Minnesota. Their logo has irked me for years. Too detailed, not enough flava flav, just blah. I also hateeee their alternate logos and their script. The weird abstract M and V are freakin weird. Their uniforms could've been better, too. I set out to modernize the Vikings my way. I darkened the purple a good amount, and also made the yellow more gold.

I tried to modernize the Viking head logo as best as I could. The one thing I really had trouble with was the hair. Getting shadowing and details on everything was tough, but I think I did a decent job. I changed the horns as well. For alternates, I added a rendering of a ship, an MV logo with horns, and just the hat. The script follows true to what most NFL teams are going with for wordmarks now, just a simple nickname text with smaller city name below it, while also giving a Viking vibe.

vikingslogos.png

The uniforms I'm especially proud of. The piping is supposed to go along the same pattern as the horns, so everything is unified to a degree. The numbers are what the Rams use now. I also added a gold alt, even though I know everyone will hate it, every team should have a horrible mustard color alternate :D

vikingsuniforms.png

So, tell me what you think. I'm going away for a week and a half, so if you guys have any suggestions of what team to do next, please go ahead and suggest.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I must say, I really really like that MV logo. It is very simple, but it makes so much sense and works very well. I personally think it seems unnecessary to have a viking ship logo for the team, especially when it doesn't show up on the uniforms and the other secondary logo looks so good. The same goes for just the helmet. I like colors and even the yellow alternate. I think you did piping the right way, as opposed to how they have it now(color patches inside the piping, and trying to make the shirt line up with the pants).

Well done all around, though I feel like something needs to be done about the new Viking's eye area.

I think you should tackle(pun intended) the Jaguars next because based on the style of this I would love to see what you would have in store for them.

I really like the darker purple and the gold.As much as I dislike their current set, I think losing the side panels (like you have done) would make the current set very good. I think you should keep the current horn for the helmet. The primary is a very good update, but seems to be missing something.

I do like the MV logo, very simple, very effective. Overall, I'd say you did a very good job with this. Did I mention how much I hate the Vikings?

I look forward to more!

Have you seen Maroon 5's logo? I'm not a maroon 5 fan, but I have seen their logo that looks almost exactly like your MV in a music video, the one with Rihanna. Sans horns, of course.

Edit: Ok here, is a pic.

45931.jpg

It's not exact, but similar, I guess.

I think the viking head update is fantastic, they should use that.

I don't like the color changes. Personally, I would have used the current colors. The piping seem a little minimal when the logo set has so much potential, but it's not terrible.

On the white jerseys and pants - fill in the area inside the piping with purple, and make the piping yellow. That will make the set more mix-and-match friendly.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I also added a gold alt, even though I know everyone will hate it, every team should have a horrible mustard color alternate :D

As a Nashville Predators fan, I concur wholeheartedly. :P

I love the logos, especially the Maroon 5 logo. The only thing that would improve it and/or the wordmark is an outline or if you coloured the M or V gold. I'm not too sure the helmet logo is strong enough to stand on its own, and I'm not too positive how it or the ship logo could be used other for merchandising purposes.

The jerseys are pretty solid. My only gripe is yellow piping on white, but that's just my prerogative. (Sorry, I just heard the song...) It gets lost easily, IMHO. Never liked it on Michigan or on the Preds' white sweaters, but it's whatever.

Edit:

Your "MV" logo : Maroon 5 :: D-backs "db" snake head logo : David Blaine

(Eat your hearts out, College Board.)

I love everything about this except for the darker purple. It's an amazing concept- the logos and everything- I actually even like the mustard yellow. That being said, I think the purple needs to be more of a purple and less of a navy.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

So, in searching for something to do, I decided to start a new series. How long I'll go, I'm not sure. Xtreme Makeover: NFL Edition! Complete with poor spelling of Xtreme!!!!!!!!

So first up is Minnesota. Their logo has irked me for years. Too detailed, not enough flava flav, just blah. I also hateeee their alternate logos and their script. The weird abstract M and V are freakin weird. Their uniforms could've been better, too. I set out to modernize the Vikings my way. I darkened the purple a good amount, and also made the yellow more gold.

I tried to modernize the Viking head logo as best as I could. The one thing I really had trouble with was the hair. Getting shadowing and details on everything was tough, but I think I did a decent job. I changed the horns as well. For alternates, I added a rendering of a ship, an MV logo with horns, and just the hat. The script follows true to what most NFL teams are going with for wordmarks now, just a simple nickname text with smaller city name below it, while also giving a Viking vibe.

vikingslogos.png

The uniforms I'm especially proud of. The piping is supposed to go along the same pattern as the horns, so everything is unified to a degree. The numbers are what the Rams use now. I also added a gold alt, even though I know everyone will hate it, every team should have a horrible mustard color alternate :D

vikingsuniforms.png

So, tell me what you think. I'm going away for a week and a half, so if you guys have any suggestions of what team to do next, please go ahead and suggest.

Why does the horn extend past the edge of the helmet? And what happened to the Viking's eyes?

applogosig17.pngapplogosig16bychapeeko.png

Courtesy chapeeko

i really like all of those, but on the wordmark, i would drop the "s", so that "minnesota" is between the "V' and 's.' ALso, i think you got a good idea on the boat alternate, but for some reason it doesn't say "vikingss", fix those and you, my friend, would be the biggest boss ive seen thus far.

That's not a viking ship. it's a clipper or windjammer. Viking ships had one square sail, one mast and usually had some sort of dragon or ornamental head on their boats.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I love seeing re-brand series', mostly because I love doing them too, but never have the time to finish them. So kudos to you if you finish this.

The updated Viking head is amazing, very modern, yet still looks similar enough to the current logo. The 'MV' logo is very clever, simple, and it works well. The ship though looks a little too corporate to be a sports logo, same with the font. I like the current font better with the horn on the V and the stylized lettering.

The home and alt away uniforms are good looking, but the white on white away uniform doesn't seem to have enough color in it. I'll have to agree with BringBackTheVet that it would look better with the pant panels filled in purple and the piping to be yellow.

I really hope you proceed and finish this. Can't wait to see the rest!

Ok guys, as promised, I'm back from Alaska and have another team done. The Nawleans Saintsicles!

Not sure why I did that, but anyways. I've always thought the Saints would look great in white helmets. I think buccoB did one with a white helmet a while back, but other than that I haven't seen a Saints concept without their gold helmet. This is extreme makeover folks, so we're throwing tradition out of the door!

Well, not completely. I originally thought of using that cool pattern on gates and stuff in New Orleans (I think it was conr4d who made a Hornets bball uni utilizing that). As I went over it in my head, I thought it just wouldn't work that well on a football uni, and that going classic and throwbackish, while still including the white I wanted to emphasize. So that's what I did, no TV numbers or sleeve logos, and just plain old stripes.

But then I started thinking, how good would the Saints look WITHOUT white? I was torn, white or no white. So the alternates don't have white, and IMO the home alt looks pretty damn snazzy.

BTW, sorry if there are misspellings or wrong numbers on the unis, I was going completely off of memory of players and numbers on the Saints, and I'm not a big fan of them.

I also decided to keep the fleur, but added 2 completely brand spankin new alternate logos and a new script. The script felt New Orleans to me, so I went simple with that. The crown I saw used in a Saints anniversary logo, and decided to give it some tweaks and I put it on the collar instead of a wordmark on the uniforms. I also added a football with two horns, symbolizing New Orleans rich jazz tradition, as a pant logo.

Have at it! I'm thinking about doing the Raiders, Dolphins, or Eagles (my team) next.

saintsuniforms-2.png

Saintslogossvg.png

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Archived