Did Anybody Here See "the Passion?"

habsfannova

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanna go see it. People say it's kinda hard to say "Wow, what a great movie" because it is so breathtakingly epic, painful to watch at points.. i've heard of people breaking down because the beatings were THAT bad... you feel the pain Christ went through...

Wether your christian or not, it should be a movie you see.

I'm interested to see it (just to see what all the fuss is about)... but I refuse to pay for it... one way or another, I'll figure out a way to see it...

However, to those who have seen the film, I'd like to know your take on the whole anti-semetic claims... being Jewish, it's kinda touchy... so instead of going by the anti-defamation league and all these other "prominent" Jewish figures, I'd like to hear what people closer to my age and such have to say about it...

It's all I want to see it for, because I could care less about the violence... regardless of how graphic it is.

My roommate, although not an atheist as I am, shares a lot of the same views as I do about religion. He attended the movie with a Catholic friend (he's like a pastor I think). He liked the movie a lot, but said it was the most violent movie he's ever seen, including Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, and Reservoir Dogs combined. He said people left the movie because they were that horrified by the violence.

What's more is Jesus actually endured much, much worse torture than what is depicted in this movie. It even say in the book of John, and I quote...

John 21:25 "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen."

"Extreme" enough to cause a woman in the Midwest to actually drop dead of a heart attack during the crucifixion scene.

Brian in Boston

She was from Wichita, Kansas. That is really weird. I want to see it, i'm a believer in Christ. Though i wouldn't call myself a "Christian". I don't like labels, because then it puts you in a group in which you might not share all the same ideals.

I'm an atheist, and I thought it was amazing.

How could you be after seeing this movie? It just doesn't make sense.

I don't understand why people think a movie is gonna make people believe in something.

I saw Star Wars and I still don't believe in Ewoks.

I'm an atheist, and I thought it was amazing.

How could you be after seeing this movie? It just doesn't make sense.

I don't understand why people think a movie is gonna make people believe in something.

I saw Star Wars and I still don't believe in Ewoks.

Don't think that quite the right comparison to make

The far right is making this into an evangelical movie. The far left it using it to attack religion...

I think the point most people are missing here, is that it is a movie. Just a movie. It is a movie about the most important historical figure of the last 2000 years, if not of all history. It depitcs his awful, brutal, painful death. However, at the end of the day, it is a movie.

To The the Far Right: STOP MAKING THIS INTO A MOVIE ABOUT "The Word"!!! You only drive people away from your point of view, morons. Can't someone on that nutty side of the political spectrum shoot Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell please? Your the far right, you have gun nuts... kill those asspuppets...

To The Far Left: Just shut up. No one pays attention to you anyways...

I was at church and they showed a trailer of it, I couldn't watch that... when ever a nail went it felt like a spear going through my chest and i could feel the pain on the side

I'm goin with a youth group and hope i dont faint or something, but my mom gave good advice "when its too violent, just thank Jesus for going through that for you" and i will probably have to do that the whole time..

i wish he would have done more happy times thou...

However, to those who have seen the film, I'd like to know your take on the whole anti-semetic claims... being Jewish, it's kinda touchy... so instead of going by the anti-defamation league and all these other "prominent" Jewish figures, I'd like to hear what people closer to my age and such have to say about it...

I'm going to use an analogy that requires people to read things through the whole way. So bear with me please...

The German regime in the '30s and '40s did some very terrible things to people. However, to consider that 99.9% or more of the German population today had anything to do with that is ludicrous. Nobody blames today's Germany for the evils of past regimes. One shouldn't regard WWII movies as anti-present-day-Germans.

In the same way, this movie shouldn't be regarded as anti-present-day-Jews. According to the most reliable facts we have, a mob of Jewish people from around 30 A.D. had Jesus put to death. Modern day Jews had nothing to do with that decision, and nobody (at least that I know) blames them for Christ's death. Therefore one shouldn't regard The Passion as trying to stir anti-Semitic sentiments.

That's my view anyway...

...as to the movie itself... we saw the trailer, and yeah, it looks quite intense... however I hope it will be, because every time I read Matthew 26-28, I find it quite intense. I'm planning to see the movie this weekend.

Guest -*Sterling84*-

JQK - Exactly.

This is what turns me off of religion on a daily basis anyway. Bending a simple message of kindness and love to suit whatever your particular argument may be. Extremists on both sides are really turning me off the whole thing.

Eewww.

I was sad to see, cause the rest looks beautifully shot and authentic, that they pound the nail through his palm.

You can't crucify someone like that. Your body weight and jarring motion of lowering the cross into the hole, forces the nail to tear through your cartilage and tiny hand bones and you.........fall off basically. A lesson they probably didn't have to learn more than once.

Crucufixion victims had to be stuck through the wrist.

The German regime in the '30s and '40s did some very terrible things to people. However, to consider that 99.9% or more of the German population today had anything to do with that is ludicrous. Nobody blames today's Germany for the evils of past regimes. One shouldn't regard WWII movies as anti-present-day-Germans.

In the same way, this movie shouldn't be regarded as anti-present-day-Jews. According to the most reliable facts we have, a mob of Jewish people from around 30 A.D. had Jesus put to death. Modern day Jews had nothing to do with that decision, and nobody (at least that I know) blames them for Christ's death. Therefore one shouldn't regard The Passion as trying to stir anti-Semitic sentiments.

Very true... another reason why those reperations (sp?) (the descendents of slave owners in the 1800s) shouldn't take place.

Does the family of John Wilkes Booth have to pay the family of Abe Lincoln? silly.

This is what turns me off of religion on a daily basis anyway. Bending a simple message of kindness and love to suit whatever your particular argument may be. Extremists on both sides are really turning me off the whole thing.

Yeah, I hate it when people tell me that I'm going to "Burn in hell" for not being in their religion... what's up with that? If someone says "God bless you" I thank them... you gotta look for true intentions... obviously i'm a non-believer, but I'd never dare tell anyone off for saying "God bless you" to me, they mean it in the best way!

Some people get offended when someone 'wishes them well' in the way their religion gets them too, and I can't understand that.

Dang both sides of extremists.

Archived