Look what I discovered on my trip to the supermarket

patsox

New logo on receipts and EZ Shopper checkout displays (Sorry about the crappy scan. It's from my receipt):

Stoppy.png

Current logo which is still on signage for those of you who are unfamiliar:

stopandshoplogo.gif

This is kind of a shocker to me. The logo is obviously dated, but I think it's been around so long that it has reached iconic/classic status. The new logo in it's own right isn't an awful logo, but it's a little generic. It's not Walmart* generic (I think it's just the typeface that reminds me of that rebrand). However, I think that the symbol on the right might be a little abstract. By the way I'm interpreting it like this. If you take the bottom semicircle and take the three smaller semicircles it makes a big circle (like a stop light). This evolves into a bowl of fruit (the outcome of your stopping and shopping).

Edit: The colors on the abstract symbol were purple, yellow, and dark red IIRC and the wordmark was purple on a white background.

Well I'm not familiar with Stop and Shop (I guess it's a Mass. thing), but I like the traffic lights that they had in their old logo. I get wanting a more horizontally oriented logo, but they really could have updated while still keeping the lights.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well I'm not familiar with Stop and Shop (I guess it's a Mass. thing), but I like the traffic lights that they had in their old logo. I get wanting a more horizontally oriented logo, but they really could have updated while still keeping the lights.

Thanks for mentioning that actually. It made me realize I posted an older logo in the first post. This is the logo, albeit more scarcely used than the other one, that can be seen at Stop & Shops that have been remodeled within the past few years:

lpp_StopShop.jpg

S-S.gif

http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2008...op_unvei_1.html

Stop & Shop unveils new logo

August 21, 2008 07:01 AM

The Stop & Shop logo is getting a major facelift. The local grocery chain will unveil the new logo at its Quincy headquarters tomorrow.

Gone are the red and green traffic lights that served as the company's symbol since it opened in 1914 In their place: a yellow bowl with three colorful halves that can be interpreted as bowls of fruit, bread or ingredients, the company's spokesperson said.

“Customers talked and we listened,” Andrea Astrachan, consumer advisor at Stop & Shop, said in a news release. “The new look shows customers that we’re making changes and committed to providing great food and meal solutions at low prices everyday.”

Many of the stores will also get advanced product scanning and checkout technology, like handheld scanners that let shoppers keep a running tab of their purchases, and ring them up instantly at automated checkout stations. Stop & Shop has deployed the technology in about 90 of its stores since 2005.; the number will double over the next year, said Jim Dwyer, chief business development officer for Ahold USA, Stop & Shop's parent company.

Dwyer said that the new technology would help reduce labor costs, but that it's mainly intended to make life easier for shoppers.

"The objective is to make it easier for them to get in and out of the store," he said.

Mothers had complained about checkout lines where children are tempted by racks of candy bars and confronted by sexually-suggestive magazines. The new checkout lanes, called "smile aisles," have been purged of these distractions. Each remodeled store will have a few of these aisles.

The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company has more than 59,000 employees in its stores throughout Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Maine, New Hampshire, New York, and New Jersey.

(By Angel Jennings, Globe correspondent)

Nothing was wrong with the stop&shop logo, I think i've passed by one once.

Interstingly I believe superfresh still prints their old logo on their receipts.

and ACME still sells products with their old logo on it too...

yea, I noticed that one of their fish products still uses the acme oval logo, I was like "WTF that hasn't been used for years now!"

Its really odd considering that they recently updated their acme products graphics, yet the one fish product still uses the logo from the 90s.

the only one of these places that Ive heard of is Giant, and thats only because I saw it advertised on a dasher board while watching a hockey game on tv

In NorCal we have Safeway, Lucky, Save Mart, and Raley's. at least, those are the major ones. Lucky used to be Albertson's, which still exsists in SoCal and in Nevada.

Stop & Shop's sibling has accordingly unveiled its change:

41749082-21065104.jpg

I used to pass Giants in Upstate New York and their old-school look was pretty iconic, it'll be sad to see it go by the wayside.

07Bfast_Giant.gif

Giant.jpg

Thats the giant logo I usually see on giant stores,

Ah, Giant, perhaps the most complicated brand in the business. Let me clarify for you...

The two Giant logos on top are for Giant Foods, LLC based in Landover, Maryland. It doesn't have a presence in Upstate New York.

The other Giant logo is for Giant Food Stores, based out of Carlisle (Harrisburg), PA. After merging with Buffalo-based Tops Markets (which they have since divested), they DID have a NY presence but used the Tops and Martin's brands. That is because there's yet another Giant brand in NY. It's Giant Food Markets, a small chain based out of Binghamton. Tops also had a presence in PA and Ohio, where it was a direct competitor to Pittsburgh-based Giant Eagle.

The Landover and Carlisle operations are both subsidiaries of Ahold, which also owns Stop & Shop. Before being acquired by Ahold, they were unrelated entities. In states where both have a presence or markets where Giant Eagle exists, Giant (PA) uses the Martin's brand.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Ah, Giant, perhaps the most complicated brand in the business. Let me clarify for you...

The two Giant logos on top are for Giant Foods, LLC based in Landover, Maryland. It doesn't have a presence in Upstate New York.

The other Giant logo is for Giant Food Stores, based out of Carlisle (Harrisburg), PA. After merging with Buffalo-based Tops Markets (which they have since divested), they DID have a NY presence but used the Tops and Martin's brands. That is because there's yet another Giant brand in NY. It's Giant Food Markets, a small chain based out of Binghamton. Tops also had a presence in PA and Ohio, where it was a direct competitor to Pittsburgh-based Giant Eagle.

The Landover and Carlisle operations are both subsidiaries of Ahold, which also owns Stop & Shop. Before being acquired by Ahold, they were unrelated entities. In states where both have a presence or markets where Giant Eagle exists, Giant (PA) uses the Martin's brand.

That's too confusing. I'll just stick with Wegmans. :)

That's too confusing. I'll just stick with Wegmans. :)

You think that is confusing, I live in a market that had both Giant of MD and Giant of PA in the same area. Back when they were not in the same family Giant in MD was called Super G in Pa and Giant in PA was Martin's in MD. And because I live on the state line if you were talking to some one about shopping you had to say what state the Giant was in. After they got taken over by Ahold they all became Giants. Well sorta...the Martins in MD all closed because the Giants were union stores and the Martins were not. I guess the Giants up here will make the same change soon.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Big disappointment. We've been shopping at Shaw's and a local grocery store that is part of the Independent Grocers Alliances IGA, for you non-grocery store junkies. B) Now, this is the nail in the coffin. Way to look like a German produce stand, Stop and Shop. I am done defending them when non-New Englanders call it "Shop and Stop." In fact, I may join them.

You are dead to me, Shop and Stop. :cursing:

uconn2.pngliverpoolfc.png

Archived