2008-09 English Premier League Season

Mac the Knife

Arsenal lost to Fulham. Got outplayed for the whole 90 minutes, too. The Gunners have been sub-par, IMO, through their first three games. They didn't do as well as most expected against Twente (though a 2-0 victory is nothing to complain about), scored their only goal so far in the 4th minute of their first EPL game, and basically got dominated by Fulham. Auspicious start.

Eh, 3 points out of six isn't auspicious. :)

BTW, among the rest of today's matches Stoke won a thriller over Aston Villa and Spurs lost (again!)

Hah, Spurs are :censored: ing up. I guess since I'm new to this Arsenal supporter thing, this should be the ultimate schadenfreude, right? :P

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Arsenal lost to Fulham. Got outplayed for the whole 90 minutes, too. The Gunners have been sub-par, IMO, through their first three games. They didn't do as well as most expected against Twente (though a 2-0 victory is nothing to complain about), scored their only goal so far in the 4th minute of their first EPL game, and basically got dominated by Fulham. Auspicious start.

I just watched my recording of that match. I might as well not have bothered. "Sub-par" doesn't do it justice; Arsenal looked completely flat out there, against a side that lost to Hull - Hull! - in last week's opener, no less. That's the worst effort I've ever seen from the Gunners since I started following them in '06, and that includes their 4-0 drubbing by ManU in last year's FA Cup. Arsene Wenger needs to light a fire under their @$$es, and fast.

CCSLC signature.png

I just watched my recording of that match. I might as well not have bothered. "Sub-par" doesn't do it justice; Arsenal looked completely flat out there, against a side that lost to Hull - Hull! - in last week's opener, no less. That's the worst effort I've ever seen from the Gunners since I started following them in '06, and that includes their 4-0 drubbing by ManU in last year's FA Cup. Arsene Wenger needs to light a fire under their @$$es, and fast.

Meh, it'll get better when Fabregas is in the midfield orchestrating things. With that said, a solid holding midfielder would be nice (Denilson isn't one and Eboue sure isn't), and so the low-level rumours of Xabi Alonzo or Gareth Barry going to the Emirates continue their sinister rumblings.

And once again, it would make life a lot easier for everyone if Arsenal would actually shoot. This is why I love Samir Nasri joining up with the club: the boy loves to shoot.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Meh, it'll get better when Fabregas is in the midfield orchestrating things. With that said, a solid holding midfielder would be nice (Denilson isn't one and Eboue sure isn't), and so the low-level rumours of Xabi Alonzo or Gareth Barry going to the Emirates continue their sinister rumblings.

And once again, it would make life a lot easier for everyone if Arsenal would actually shoot. This is why I love Samir Nasri joining up with the club: the boy loves to shoot.

That was the thing, Nasri seemed like he was the only one that really wanted to take advantage of any chance he had. Everybody else either didn't take the shot or skyed the ball into outer space.

But you're right. Fabregas returning will definitely be a much needed boost. One they need. IDC if they were a little bit shorthanded. Arsenal should not be getting utterly upstaged by Fulham.

It seems you're right so far - with Cesc back in the lineup, Arsenal have followed up the Fulham loss with back-to-back blowout wins at home, first against FC Twente (4-0) in a Champion's League qualifier, and then against the Magpies (3-0) in Round 3 of the Premiership. Eboue's back-heel setup of van Persie's second goal against Newcastle was the stuff of season highlight reels. It could easily have been 8-0 or thereabouts it not for some great goaltending by the Magpies' Shay Given.

On the other hand, Wenger has once again passed on any major transfers into the club, leaving the Gunners' midfield dangerously thin. Better hope Cesc doesn't go down again for any significant amount of time.

CCSLC signature.png

It seems you're right so far - with Cesc back in the lineup, Arsenal have followed up the Fulham loss with back-to-back blowout wins at home, first against FC Twente (4-0) in a Champion's League qualifier, and then against the Magpies (3-0) in Round 3 of the Premiership. Eboue's back-heel setup of van Persie's second goal against Newcastle was the stuff of season highlight reels. It could easily have been 8-0 or thereabouts it not for some great goaltending by the Magpies' Shay Given.

On the other hand, Wenger has once again passed on any major transfers into the club, leaving the Gunners' midfield dangerously thin. Better hope Cesc doesn't go down again for any significant amount of time.

If Fabregas goes down...we know what we're gonna see from the team, and it ain't gonna be pretty.

But, it was good to see how the team bounced back, especially against Newcastle.

with Man Utd and Man City both spending over £30M yesterday now no-one can complain about Chelsea "buying the Premiership" anymore

fivebaseball3.png

Joe Morgan on 'Moneyball' - "Why would I wanna read a book about a computer, that gives computer numbers?"

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF YID ARMY.

OH WHEN THE SPURS!

GO MARCHING IN!

OH WHEN THE SPURS GO MARCHING IN!

OH I WANT TO BE IN THAT NUMBER!

WHEN THE SPURS GO MARCHING IN!

OH WHEN THE SPURS!

GO MARCHING IN!

CHELSEA FANS....

WHERE WERE YOU?, WHERE WERE YOU?

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN YOU WERE :censored:!

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF YID ARMY.

OH WHEN THE SPURS!

GO MARCHING IN!

OH WHEN THE SPURS!

GO MARCHING IN!

CHELSEA FANS....

WHERE WERE YOU?, WHERE WERE YOU?

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN YOU WERE :censored:!

Big talk for a draw. I guess you'll take it when you surrender the other eight points that have been up for grabs. :P

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

• 4 weeks later...

Now I am a complete novice at this football, but tell me.

WTF did Hull City come from?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 1 month later...

Spurs 4-4 Arsenal.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Harry Redknapp's blue 'n white army!

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Archived