Sign in to follow this  
Mac the Knife

2008-09 English Premier League Season

Arsenal lost to Fulham. Got outplayed for the whole 90 minutes, too. The Gunners have been sub-par, IMO, through their first three games. They didn't do as well as most expected against Twente (though a 2-0 victory is nothing to complain about), scored their only goal so far in the 4th minute of their first EPL game, and basically got dominated by Fulham. Auspicious start.

Eh, 3 points out of six isn't auspicious. :)

BTW, among the rest of today's matches Stoke won a thriller over Aston Villa and Spurs lost (again!)

Hah, Spurs are :censored: ing up. I guess since I'm new to this Arsenal supporter thing, this should be the ultimate schadenfreude, right? :P

The Hammers got beat down

Arsenal lost to Fulham. Got outplayed for the whole 90 minutes, too. The Gunners have been sub-par, IMO, through their first three games. They didn't do as well as most expected against Twente (though a 2-0 victory is nothing to complain about), scored their only goal so far in the 4th minute of their first EPL game, and basically got dominated by Fulham. Auspicious start.

I just watched my recording of that match. I might as well not have bothered. "Sub-par" doesn't do it justice; Arsenal looked completely flat out there, against a side that lost to Hull - Hull! - in last week's opener, no less. That's the worst effort I've ever seen from the Gunners since I started following them in '06, and that includes their 4-0 drubbing by ManU in last year's FA Cup. Arsene Wenger needs to light a fire under their @$$es, and fast.

I just watched my recording of that match. I might as well not have bothered. "Sub-par" doesn't do it justice; Arsenal looked completely flat out there, against a side that lost to Hull - Hull! - in last week's opener, no less. That's the worst effort I've ever seen from the Gunners since I started following them in '06, and that includes their 4-0 drubbing by ManU in last year's FA Cup. Arsene Wenger needs to light a fire under their @$$es, and fast.

Meh, it'll get better when Fabregas is in the midfield orchestrating things. With that said, a solid holding midfielder would be nice (Denilson isn't one and Eboue sure isn't), and so the low-level rumours of Xabi Alonzo or Gareth Barry going to the Emirates continue their sinister rumblings.

And once again, it would make life a lot easier for everyone if Arsenal would actually shoot. This is why I love Samir Nasri joining up with the club: the boy loves to shoot.

Meh, it'll get better when Fabregas is in the midfield orchestrating things. With that said, a solid holding midfielder would be nice (Denilson isn't one and Eboue sure isn't), and so the low-level rumours of Xabi Alonzo or Gareth Barry going to the Emirates continue their sinister rumblings.

And once again, it would make life a lot easier for everyone if Arsenal would actually shoot. This is why I love Samir Nasri joining up with the club: the boy loves to shoot.

That was the thing, Nasri seemed like he was the only one that really wanted to take advantage of any chance he had. Everybody else either didn't take the shot or skyed the ball into outer space.

But you're right. Fabregas returning will definitely be a much needed boost. One they need. IDC if they were a little bit shorthanded. Arsenal should not be getting utterly upstaged by Fulham.

The Hammers got beat down

This pleases me to no end.

And what's up with Man City? I thought they were supposedly skint? How are they sniffing around Bellamy now?

Not a good week for the Magpies but a few big names are on the move to the EPL

It seems you're right so far - with Cesc back in the lineup, Arsenal have followed up the Fulham loss with back-to-back blowout wins at home, first against FC Twente (4-0) in a Champion's League qualifier, and then against the Magpies (3-0) in Round 3 of the Premiership. Eboue's back-heel setup of van Persie's second goal against Newcastle was the stuff of season highlight reels. It could easily have been 8-0 or thereabouts it not for some great goaltending by the Magpies' Shay Given.

On the other hand, Wenger has once again passed on any major transfers into the club, leaving the Gunners' midfield dangerously thin. Better hope Cesc doesn't go down again for any significant amount of time.

It seems you're right so far - with Cesc back in the lineup, Arsenal have followed up the Fulham loss with back-to-back blowout wins at home, first against FC Twente (4-0) in a Champion's League qualifier, and then against the Magpies (3-0) in Round 3 of the Premiership. Eboue's back-heel setup of van Persie's second goal against Newcastle was the stuff of season highlight reels. It could easily have been 8-0 or thereabouts it not for some great goaltending by the Magpies' Shay Given.

On the other hand, Wenger has once again passed on any major transfers into the club, leaving the Gunners' midfield dangerously thin. Better hope Cesc doesn't go down again for any significant amount of time.

If Fabregas goes down...we know what we're gonna see from the team, and it ain't gonna be pretty.

But, it was good to see how the team bounced back, especially against Newcastle.

with Man Utd and Man City both spending over £30M yesterday now no-one can complain about Chelsea "buying the Premiership" anymore

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF YID ARMY.

OH WHEN THE SPURS!

GO MARCHING IN!

OH WHEN THE SPURS GO MARCHING IN!

OH I WANT TO BE IN THAT NUMBER!

WHEN THE SPURS GO MARCHING IN!

OH WHEN THE SPURS!

GO MARCHING IN!

CHELSEA FANS....

WHERE WERE YOU?, WHERE WERE YOU?

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN YOU WERE :censored:!

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF YID ARMY.

OH WHEN THE SPURS!

GO MARCHING IN!

OH WHEN THE SPURS!

GO MARCHING IN!

CHELSEA FANS....

WHERE WERE YOU?, WHERE WERE YOU?

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN YOU WERE :censored:!

Big talk for a draw. I guess you'll take it when you surrender the other eight points that have been up for grabs. :P

Curbishley is gone from West Ham, not surprising really. I can't imagine there will be many managers clamouring for that job.

Keegan is still at Newcastle, after I heard twice yesterday that he was definately leaving. I wouldn't hold my breath on this one though.

It's official Keegan is gone from St James and maybe it's for the best

Now I am a complete novice at this football, but tell me.

WTF did Hull City come from?

They were promoted to the big time and they stun the Gunners

Now I am a complete novice at this football, but tell me.

WTF did Hull City come from?

The Championship. :P

My Villans are in 3rd, I'm happy

We now lose Martins for 6 weeks and we need more scoring

We now lose Martins for 6 weeks and we need more scoring

And a new owner, manager, et al.

I'm afraid this season is all about consolidation. And with the upstarts playing relatively well so far, I don't know if you'll have any protective cushion from relegation.

Spurs 4-4 Arsenal.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Harry Redknapp's blue 'n white army!