Browns brown pants.

Elfman

They do need stripes down the side.

Why?

Does Florida State need stripes on their pants?

Does Michigan need stripes on their pants?

Does Notre Dame need stripes on their pants?

Does UCLA need stripes on their pants?

Does Penn State need stripes on their pants?

Does Texas need stripes on their pants?

All are traditional football uniforms, which most around here, get exicted talking about.

The Browns look good and the players like them. Its the players game; not the fans and not the folks around here.

And, the browns all MATCH perfectly too. The big bad Cowboys can't even do that.

Way to blow his comment out of proportion. He's not saying all football pants need stripes. He's just saying that these ones do.

He's right, by the way. Orange-white-orange stripes on the pants and while socks with brown-orange-brown stripes might well make these pants a winner. As they are, the solid brown by itself doesn't work out.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why?

All are traditional football uniforms, which most around here, get exicted talking about.

The Browns look good and the players like them. Its the players game; not the fans and not the folks around here.

And, the browns all MATCH perfectly too. The big bad Cowboys can't even do that.

First off, the Browns have, and have had, a traditional football uniform for the majority of the past half-century. It just happens to be a tradition which involves - gasp! - stripes (which you hate, therefore it must be awful and needs to go away.) So why break that with a set of pants that clashes with the remainder of the uniform's features?

It must be a trick of the light on the shiny material, but at times, the pants look black; other times, they're almost a darker shade of pewter. And either way, it doesn't look like the proper shade of brown. Despite that, the look would not be as bad (though still by no means good) if there was something in the sock to provide contrast. On the couple of players wearing higher white socks, the look is improved. But I guess since the players like wearing ankle socks, that automatically makes it a better look, and any argument against it shall be shot down.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

most of the DBs and some of the LBs are wearing white socks. that dont look tooo bad. but all white ftw

That's what I hope most players do because plain brown socks looks terrible with brown pants. The pants aren't horrible, but they aren't good. If they would just add stripes to match their other pants I think that it would look good.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

the Browns are playing awful right now. Hopefully these are ditched for the sake of good luck.

Dude even through a punch and missed, and the ref made sure to include that he did indeed miss. :P

Anyways, I pretty much agree with everyone else, stripes on the pants and striped socks would improve this look a lot. I would much rather see the orange pants make a return, though. They were just as unique as brown for a pants color, and looked better.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Are you watching this game in HD? Oh my gord, those pants are U-G-L-Y. HD now stands for "Holy Doody, Batman!"

I give the Browns credit for trying. But never again, please.

I leave you with a joke:

A sergeant runs into his general's tent and yells, "Sir, we have word the enemy is preparing to attack us! What do we do?"

The general says, "Sergeant, fetch me my red scarf. If I'm hit with a bullet, it will hide a little blood, and the troops' morale will not suffer at seeing their commader hurt."

A few minutes later, the sergeant runs into the tent and yells, "Sir, we have word that the enemy is on its way! What do we do?"

The general says, "Sergeant, fetch me my red shirt. If I'm significantly wounded, it will hide a lot of blood, and the troops' morale will not suffer at seeing their commander seriously hurt."

A few minutes later, there is a tremendous sound of gunfire and explosions. The sergeant runs into the tent, bloodied and semi-conscious. "Sir," he says, "the enemy is here! What do we do?"

The general says, "Sergeant, fetch me my brown pants."

Are you watching this game in HD? Oh my gord, those pants are U-G-L-Y. HD now stands for "Holy Doody, Batman!"

I give the Browns credit for trying. But never again, please.

I leave you with a joke:

A sergeant runs into his general's tent and yells, "Sir, we have word the enemy is preparing to attack us! What do we do?"

The general says, "Sergeant, fetch me my red scarf. If I'm hit with a bullet, it will hide a little blood, and the troops' morale will not suffer at seeing their commader hurt."

A few minutes later, the sergeant runs into the tent and yells, "Sir, we have word that the enemy is on its way! What do we do?"

The general says, "Sergeant, fetch me my red shirt. If I'm significantly wounded, it will hide a lot of blood, and the troops' morale will not suffer at seeing their commander seriously hurt."

A few minutes later, there is a tremendous sound of gunfire and explosions. The sergeant runs into the tent, bloodied and semi-conscious. "Sir," he says, "the enemy is here! What do we do?"

The general says, "Sergeant, fetch me my brown pants."

:lol:

Excellent.

I actually like them. I would prefer the white striped socks, though.

I kind of want to say I'd like to see the Browns go with a lighter brown-ish tan color (the addition of which would go against all I stand for) and add to that throwback look (the grey mask still needs to go though).

Okay - based on tradition, the basic Browns unis are classic. I even love the seal brown/burnt orange combo. However, what makes the Brown's unis work is tradition and balance of the colors. come on - no stripe. What did they do? Stop halfway? No pun intended here - but you know the saying "you can't polish a turd". Well, not only are they trying to "polish" a turd, they are "emphasizing it".

Well, for the first time I can ever recall, a team is looking exactly how it's playing.

Don't look now, but the 30-3 blowout has become a 6 point game -- not that preseason wins and losses matter. :rolleyes:

6uXNWAo.png

Okay - based on tradition, the basic Browns unis are classic. I even love the seal brown/burnt orange combo.

Certainly not a big deal, but the Browns stopped calling their Brown "Seal Brown" after the original Browns moved to Baltimore after the 1995 season. The "new" Browns went to a much darker Brown when they came "back". But, they just called it "Brown". Then, in 2006, they started using a custom color that is somewhere between the two colors. Here's a comparison:

Circa 1979 through 1995:

ClevelandBrownsBrown_1995_SOL_SRGB.jpg

1999 through 2005:

ClevelandBrownsBrown_2005_SOL_SRGB.jpg

2006 through present:

ClevelandBrownsBrown_9999_SOL_SRGB.jpg

Why?

And not to pile on about this apples to oranges comment, but another thing all these these teams have in common? All these examples are LIGHT colored pants... white, gold, yellow... this all works. Dark just doesn't work stripeless... I've never seen it.

And for the record... yes, I think Penn State and Texas both need pants stripes. :D

Archived