Uniform Oddities

oakland ehs

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Watch a Bengals game and you will see every player it seems like has a different uniform cut. It's especially bad with their white jerseys.

That bugs me to no end, although I've noticed it more on the home jerseys, and especially with defensive lineman.

In recent years I've begun to notice discrepancies among different player's helmet stripes as well. It never used to be that way. Even with different helmet makes and models you had a uniform striping pattern. Now if you look at Chris perry the first three stripes are crammed together at the front of the helmet, but if you look at Carson Palmer his first three stripes are really far apart. That annoys me more than the jerseys.

I think that changed a couple of years ago when the Bengals switched to painted-on tiger stripes from decals.

Also, the Bengals were always one of the cheapest teams in the NFL and preferred to issue Riddell helmets - which they got at a discount since they were the "official helmet of the NFL". You would often see a player who had worn an Air Power (Bike/AHI/Schutt depending on the year) helmet elsewhere show up with a Riddell helmet as a Bengal. I guess they decided to appear less "cheap" since they moved into Paul Brown Stadium and they pretty much let a player wear what they want.

Hell, last year Chad Johnson wore 3 different helmets - a Schutt Pro Air II with a regular OPO; a Schutt Air Advantage with an extended OPO; and a Riddell Revolution.

This year Carson Palmer is using the new Schutt Air XP - at least he was in the game against the Packers - since Schutt has discontinued the Pro Air II.

I've also heard that the Bengals were so cheap that they were one of the few teams to use the short-lived Riddell Facemasks. Also, is it true that the players had to purchase their own helmet back then? If so, it's amazing they even went to one Super Bowl.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Great pic - never seen one that big.

Where'd you get it?

I truly do not recall. It's been on my computer since December '06. If I had to guess, it would either be this board or from one of Lukas' Page 2 columns.

FWIW, I used that pic for a little PS experiment...

davidwells86t.jpg

It's not perfect, but it was fun putting together. B)

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Not sure if this qualifies, but I remember in the 80's (and maybe the 90's and after) certain players in the NFL - particularly Walter Payton - would draw their shoe sponsor's logos on with a marker after taping them, so you could still tell what brand shoes they were wearing. He'd do this with black Roos...taping them up and leaving the black toe exposed, and then the kangaroo logo would appear over the tape drawn-in.

98Falcons.png

Watch a Bengals game and you will see every player it seems like has a different uniform cut. It's especially bad with their white jerseys.

That bugs me to no end, although I've noticed it more on the home jerseys, and especially with defensive lineman.

In recent years I've begun to notice discrepancies among different player's helmet stripes as well. It never used to be that way. Even with different helmet makes and models you had a uniform striping pattern. Now if you look at Chris perry the first three stripes are crammed together at the front of the helmet, but if you look at Carson Palmer his first three stripes are really far apart. That annoys me more than the jerseys.

I think that changed a couple of years ago when the Bengals switched to painted-on tiger stripes from decals.

Also, the Bengals were always one of the cheapest teams in the NFL and preferred to issue Riddell helmets - which they got at a discount since they were the "official helmet of the NFL". You would often see a player who had worn an Air Power (Bike/AHI/Schutt depending on the year) helmet elsewhere show up with a Riddell helmet as a Bengal. I guess they decided to appear less "cheap" since they moved into Paul Brown Stadium and they pretty much let a player wear what they want.

Hell, last year Chad Johnson wore 3 different helmets - a Schutt Pro Air II with a regular OPO; a Schutt Air Advantage with an extended OPO; and a Riddell Revolution.

This year Carson Palmer is using the new Schutt Air XP - at least he was in the game against the Packers - since Schutt has discontinued the Pro Air II.

I've also heard that the Bengals were so cheap that they were one of the few teams to use the short-lived Riddell Facemasks. Also, is it true that the players had to purchase their own helmet back then? If so, it's amazing they even went to one Super Bowl.

True about the Riddell facemasks - if you look closely at a lot of Bengals who wear the Riddell VSR-4 helmets some of them still will have the Riddell facemasks on them since they come with the helmet from the factory. I hadn't heard about them having to buy their own helmets back then, but it wouldn't surprise me.

You mean the World League facemasks?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not exactly. The world league used mostly plastic facemasks, am I right? I'm talking about facemasks like this worn by Tim Krumrie.

69.krumrie.alt.jpg

Yes, these are just one version of the Riddell masks that Cincinnati used. I do remember that Anthony Munoz did use the plastic facemask like the WLAF teams.

• 7 months later...
Isn't the story behind that one the Bullet in the inside/out jersey and blue shorts is playing on the Spurs but the uniform was lost for him so he played in that AGAINST the bullets?

I can't find the name of the guy, but the player (actually a Spur) is wearing an inside-out Bullets uni with their road shorts. His uniform was lost in a mix-up with the airline on the trip, and this was a makeshift loaner from the Bullets.

EDIT: Found a page from the Wizards' website with a snippet on this ...

Game 6, back on the Bullets' home court, proved to be the strangest game in the series, and perhaps the entire playoffs. First Spurs guard Mike Gale lost his uniform in a bag mix-up with the airline and was forced to wear a Washington road uniform turned inside-out. Then during the third quarter, just after San Antonio had taken a 62-61 lead, the Capital Centre lights went out for eight minutes. After the lights went back on, Washington emerged with a 103-100 victory to advance to the Eastern Conference Finals.

Wow! I had no idea the Spurs were in the Eastern Conference when they entered in the NBA.

They and Houston both were for a while. When Dallas was added as an expansion team, they switched to the West. I think it was Chicago and Milwaukee that moved from the West to the East when that happened.

This thread brought to mind the Great Wrong-way Falcon Debate. In the preseason one year I saw a Falcon with his left sleeve logo facing the wrong way (both should face forward as on the helmet). Someone actually questioned whether I made it up because I didn't have a pic. No, somehow there was no pic of a 4th string WR playing special teams with about a minute left in a meaningless preseason game. You're wondering the same thing - how could no one have taken a picture of that guy in a game situation like that? :rolleyes:

Anyway, the next season it happened again and this time there WAS a pic - this one:

09000d5d80307161_gallery_600.jpg

Ironically, one could argue that the helmet and left sleeve logos SHOULD face 'backwards' (to the right as you view it) in that one of the points of the Falcon logo looking as it does is for it to form an 'F'. This was more obvious in the original logo as opposed to the 'drunken stumbling bird' version they have now.

atl_100.gif

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I'm going to have to dig up some pics after seeing the "wrong way" Falcon. A few years ago (I think before RBK) the Bucs were notorious for wrong way ships on white jerseys.

KISSwall09.jpg

Not exactly. The world league used mostly plastic facemasks, am I right? I'm talking about facemasks like this worn by Tim Krumrie.

69.krumrie.alt.jpg

Yes, these are just one version of the Riddell masks that Cincinnati used. I do remember that Anthony Munoz did use the plastic facemask like the WLAF teams.

Imagine what his face would look like if he HADN'T been wearing a face mask...............

69.krumrie.alt.jpg

Imagine what his face would look like if he HADN'T been wearing a face mask...............

It would probably look perfect, because if he HADN'T been wearing a face mask, he wouldn't have been playing football.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

69.krumrie.alt.jpg

Actually, while that is a Riddell mask, I remember many players on many teams in the late 80's wearing those. I believe that this is the "Cheap Riddell" referred to. I remember many of the Bengals wearing this style mask circa 1988.

stanford.jpg

69.krumrie.alt.jpg

Actually, while that is a Riddell mask, I remember many players on many teams in the late 80's wearing those. I believe that this is the "Cheap Riddell" referred to. I remember many of the Bengals wearing this style mask circa 1988.

stanford.jpg

Can the Bengals just go back to wearing that uniform?

*sigh*

Archived