Phillies Retro Night

BBTV

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, I dont get why they didnt wear them, and I was there!

The scoreboard even was showin the old phillies wordmark and logo on the screen.

Oh well, I caved in and bought a retro hat by american needle, I felt odd gettin it, but might as well own something retro of the philes, hell I have a ball in glove brewers hat.

But by the alley store they had an old guy wearing what the ushers wore back in the 70s with a turnstyle, and had a bunch of stuff from the vet behind him.

That is kinda dumb if you go retro you must wear retro

Yea they expected the fans to go all out, yet they wont? thats stupid.

As I said I bought a retro hat, even tho I dont have any retro shirts, which I dont plan on havin, ah it will be good to wear with regular shirts.

Yea, I dont get why they didnt wear them, and I was there!

The scoreboard even was showin the old phillies wordmark and logo on the screen.

Oh well, I caved in and bought a retro hat by american needle, I felt odd gettin it, but might as well own something retro of the philes, hell I have a ball in glove brewers hat.

But by the alley store they had an old guy wearing what the ushers wore back in the 70s with a turnstyle, and had a bunch of stuff from the vet behind him.

I know how you feel EDDIEJ. The ANGELS was to wear thier 80's uniforms vs. the BLUE JAYS on JULY 5th but was cancelled because MLB decided to celebrate the 4th OF JULY which is cool but I was at that game even bought a retro ANGELS hat from the REGGIE JACKSON ERA. I'd still enjoyed the game though.

BTW...

The BLUE JAYS was going to wear thier 80's uniforms too.

MONICA SANTA MARIA (DEC 6 1972- MAR 15 1994)

KRISSY TAYLOR (MAY 15 1978- JUL 3 1995)

YOU WILL BE MISS.

For those on the board who may not have been posting when the Phils wore the old maroon unis, let me tell you when they scrapped them in 92, it was cause for celebration. They were tired at that point, and while they had much success in the 70s and early 80s, they stood more at that point for guys like Don Carmen (5-15 in 1989), Von Hayes (5 for 1) and Steve Jeltz (career .210 shortstop--remember THAT Phils fans next time you boo J-Roll). And for the powder blue away--they went out of style and even the Phillies decided it best to go to a grey away set in I believe 88 or 89.

At any rate, the unis looked dated. The needed to change, the new design was welcomed and universally accepted--they couldn't keep the new red hats in stock (pretty much you bought an adjustable in '92 unless you knew a special store to get them) and everyone was thrilled. I still think they look good--and for those that complain about the pinstripes, they've worn them now for I believe 59 or 60 consecutive years.

So enjoy the retro logo and uni as I do, but don't wish for it as an every day--it had it's time.

Bring back the Whale!

I have a game worn Phillies jersey from 1984 (a good friend played for the team) - yes it has a zipper.

And I was combing through my closet this morning and noticed the "P" appears to be dark red/maroon and the pinstripes are most certainly red. I'm not sure if at one point in time they were darker and the numerous washings/wearings through the season made the stripes fade a bit, but the pinstripes are most certainly red.

For those on the board who may not have been posting when the Phils wore the old maroon unis, let me tell you when they scrapped them in 92, it was cause for celebration. They were tired at that point, and while they had much success in the 70s and early 80s, they stood more at that point for guys like Don Carmen (5-15 in 1989), Von Hayes (5 for 1) and Steve Jeltz (career .210 shortstop--remember THAT Phils fans next time you boo J-Roll). And for the powder blue away--they went out of style and even the Phillies decided it best to go to a grey away set in I believe 88 or 89.

At any rate, the unis looked dated. The needed to change, the new design was welcomed and universally accepted--they couldn't keep the new red hats in stock (pretty much you bought an adjustable in '92 unless you knew a special store to get them) and everyone was thrilled. I still think they look good--and for those that complain about the pinstripes, they've worn them now for I believe 59 or 60 consecutive years.

So enjoy the retro logo and uni as I do, but don't wish for it as an every day--it had it's time.

That's exactly what I've been trying to say for three days now. I'm glad someone else feels the same way.

I have a game worn Phillies jersey from 1984 (a good friend played for the team) - yes it has a zipper.

And I was combing through my closet this morning and noticed the "P" appears to be dark red/maroon and the pinstripes are most certainly red. I'm not sure if at one point in time they were darker and the numerous washings/wearings through the season made the stripes fade a bit, but the pinstripes are most certainly red.

Yeah, I posted about that in one of the previous pages. I don't think it was always that way (I know that in the late '80s, everything was dark) but for a time in the early / mid '80s, I am nearly certain (and I guess you're now confirming) that the stripes were still red.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

To see an amazing selection of game worns for sale, check out Ed Dolan's website....It also makes great reference

Click, or CP

Ed Dolan: http://www.eddolan.com/index.htm

Odd... I don't recall ever seeing the Phillies with radially arched NOB until 1992. I'm not sure what's up with this jersey.

morandini.mickey.1991.home.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I wonder if the baseball stitching inside the P coincides with the switch to the maroon pinstripes. IIRC, that happened in '85 or '86?

The only way Ryan Howard hits for the cycle is if he its a single, double, and two homers - and just stops at third on one of them.

He's tied his career high in triples (2) and stolen bases (1) this season. Don't hate... :P

I wonder if the baseball stitching inside the P coincides with the switch to the maroon pinstripes. IIRC, that happened in '85 or '86?

The baseball stitching in the logo was eliminated starting in 1975 when zippers were introduced along with NOB. It then returned in 1988, along with buttons...the last year of the powder blue road jersey. Not sure about the pinstripe color though, I think it may have had to do with when they switched from Wilson to Rawlings jerseys, again, not sure.

Dave Hollin's 1991 road

I might be alone on this, but I much preferred this jersey to the powder blue roads and to the current look. I think the gray looked great with the maroon.

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Dave Hollin's 1991 road

I might be alone on this, but I much preferred this jersey to the powder blue roads and to the current look. I think the gray looked great with the maroon.

I just don't get it - the number 5 on the back doesn't match the 5 on front, and again with the radially arched NOB. I'm willing to concede that my memory may be a little hazy from that long ago, but I just don't remember the style of 5 used on the back of that jersey, or the non-vertically arched NOBs.

Archived