9-year-old banned from pitching...

tohasbo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back on topic for a second... ^_^

I think this is another case of parents getting overly protective of their kids and their egos. Every team has an ace. Even at 9-years-old. You tell your team, "look, the kid may throw fast, but you can't be afraid of him." Even at that beginner level. You stay in, you take your hacks. That's the nature of the game.

philly.png

It's just the PC pussification of America(GBM took the phrase before me), every kid is overprotected by their parent in some forms anymore. And you wonder why we don't look too kindly of the future with brats(not all kids) taking over this country b

To me it's part pussification, part the intrusion of politics into little league play. Note how they bring up that they tried to make the kid play for the defending champion....which is run by the employer of a league admin.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yeah, it's pussification all right.

I pitched when I was 9-12, and while I couldn't get the ball beyond 55 or so (in fact to this day the fastest I can throw's about 65). During the first game I pitched one of my friends (who was on the opposing team) was chiding me, "You aren't that fast!" he yelled from the dugout. "You aren't that good. You shouldn't be pitching."

As it turned out, this kid hit first. With the first pitch, I threw as hard as I could and plunked him. I was aiming for his ribcage but he ducked and got nailed in the noggin. After that every hitter I faced that day was scared ****less for fear of getting hit.

Kids don't learn from being overly protected; they learn by trial and error. My friend (who still reminds me of this incident on the rare occasion I see him) tells me he hasn't mouthed off at anyone like that in the 29 years since it happened. And it's entirely possible I saved him a serious ass kicking later in life; if a coach pulls him aside and says, "Don't talk smack to the pitcher," maybe he doesn't learn to control his tongue and he gets the snot beat out of him in high school, or in a bar, or wherever.

Life's lessons aren't taught in a classroom.

nav-logo.png

Thanks goodness Sidney Crosby was never treated like that. Imagine if a league would have banned him because he was "too skilled". There goes the kid's dream of perhaps playing in the MLB...unless he finds some other league.

To me it's part pussification, part the intrusion of politics into little league play. Note how they bring up that they tried to make the kid play for the defending champion....which is run by the employer of a league admin.

and there's the real story isn't it? It's not that the kid was too good it's that he wasn't on the League director's team. That's the saddest part that parents can create something like this and then try to rationalize their point.

Sidenote: Why are sporting goods stores still selling dark colored baseball pants in youth sizes? They've never looked good. Not in the early part of the 20th century, not in the 30's, not in the 70's and certainly not now. Baseball pants should come in two colors, gray and white (exceptions being light blue and the padres tan)

PvO6ZWJ.png

Back on topic for a second... ^_^

I think this is another case of parents getting overly protective of their kids and their egos. Every team has an ace. Even at 9-years-old. You tell your team, "look, the kid may throw fast, but you can't be afraid of him." Even at that beginner level. You stay in, you take your hacks. That's the nature of the game.

100% true, but parents don't want their kids to look bad, sadly. Parents are way to involved in the game and should back the :censored: off once in a while. As for the kid, I feel sorry for him. He think it's all his fault, when in reality, it's the parents who are scared their kid will strike out and not be able to say to other parents "That's my kid! He's the best! Going to the MLB!" Even though, none of their kids will ever be in the Majors.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

What would George Carlin say?

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

and there's the real story isn't it? It's not that the kid was too good it's that he wasn't on the League director's team. That's the saddest part that parents can create something like this and then try to rationalize their point.

Sidenote: Why are sporting goods stores still selling dark colored baseball pants in youth sizes? They've never looked good. Not in the early part of the 20th century, not in the 30's, not in the 70's and certainly not now. Baseball pants should come in two colors, gray and white (exceptions being light blue and the padres tan)

That would be four colors then, wouldn't it?

I've noticed stuff like this for awhile. It seems to have started with the parents of the generation of kids immediately following "my time" (I'm 26, BTW). I believe the correct term for this phenomena is "helicopter parents." I remember an incident that happened in the bursar's office when I was in college where the kid in front of me immediately called his mother on the phone to handle his problem without even trying to deal with it on his own first.

What's extremely telling to me about this situation is the ease that the other parents (seem to be) willing to go along with the "he throws too fast to play" nonsense without even questioning why this hasn't been brought up until now or the integrity of the guy who has a lot to gain by the kid not pitching.

But if the kid can compete at a higher level, I say let him. The parents will pay for it even more when this kid is fanning the s**t out of their kids in high school.

"PC is taking away my freedom one day at a time."

-NJTank

Seriously, this is some bull. Even though I figured stuff like this would happen once they stopped keeping score in certain kids' leagues, it's still shocking. It really is some bull.

As someone who coaches little league baseball, I can tell you first hand that the politics of youth sports are crazy. My team was the RayJays since we had to merge the Blue Jays and Devil Rays because two coaches who were also league administrators decided to stack their teams with the best players.

40 mph is fast for a kid that age but the batting cages we took our team to pitched between 35-45 mph, and I would even pitch at decent speeds during practice, so it isn't like kids that age couldn't be prepared for some heat.

That is, I think, the key element to the story.

This isn't about the pussification of America, or helicopter parents, it's about influence peddling.

Archived