Buffalo Pro Hockey

buffaloprohockey

Sterling...

IMHO, your latest offering is - at most - the SECOND-best logo you've designed for this project. While it is near perfect in its technical rendering, I find that when compared to your earlier offering... well, it comes up short in a number of areas.

* It's certainly simpler. Still, as I've often told you about your designs, I think that YOU get far more caught up in thinking that your designs are "too detailed" than anyone else does. I mean, compared to your Manitoba Moose alternate, your most recent previous submissions in this process ARE simpler... but, without giving up your trademark detailed style.

* What's more, in your quest for simplicity, you've created a logo that needs more color separation. The central bison, IMHO, is too monochromatic... as are the outer bison. I'm also not a big fan of having the dust clouds AND the outer bison AND the outer bison's horns ALL rendered in the same color. It's chromatically flat.

* I do like the overall head shape that you've settled upon for the outer bison.

* It doesn't come anywhere close to capturing the sense of unbridled power/speed/aggression that your earlier logo did. I believe that for a professional sports franchise, particularly hockey, a truly great logo should communicate those attributes. After all, they're the attributes necessary to achieve success in most professional sports endeavors. This latest logo is far too staid to accomplish the task of communicating that.

* Even with the inclusion of the dust clouds and the center bison's two legs, I don't get a sense of movement from this logo. It strikes me as far more static than your more recent previous efforts. I'm not feeling a sense of "stampeding".

* I understand your wanting to enclose the logo in a containment shape, however I feel that you've been a bit of a "slave" to your desires to do so.

* At minimum on this latest offering, even if you were to insist on maintaining the overall design, I would suggest making the hooves of the center bison and the horns of the outer bison white. Change the eyes of the center bison to blue. Utilize a third (i.e. lighter) shading of the brown/copper color for the dust clouds.

Still, all in all, I believe that you hit the mark with the "second generation" of this logo. If you felt a need to encapsulate the bison in a containment shape, I encourage you to tweak in figuring out how to do that. However, from where I'm standing, MUCH of what made that "second generation" logo so great has seemingly been sacrificed on the altar of a shield-shaped outline.

Brian in Boston

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate the help with this guys. There are thousands of logos out there that we aren't aware of. Of course, I'll be the first to pull my mark if I have infringed on anything that has a credible likeness to mine. Being in VA, I'm not familiar with what the city or local business might be using in Buffalo. I agree with Sterling's assessment that we are talking about Buffalo here and I'm sure that there are thousands of bison images in use for various purposes. I've PM'd Joe about all of this. If that logo is still out there I am very interested in seeing it.

BTW that Destroyer's alt doesn't do anything for me. Their primary mark is nice though.

Again I appreciate the board's community spirit.

IMHO, your latest offering is still the SECOND-best logo you've designed for this project

:D:wacko::D

Thats me similing BinB. I KNEW you were going to say that. And you aren't wrong. The first one is definitely more aggressive, energized and everything. I took a look at it (first one) several days ago and panic took over and it was as if I didnt even draw it. Suddenly the side Buffs looked like monkeys and the center ones head is too small and not hairy enough and ..................weeeee overthink much. Yes. I do.

I basically had to do the exercise of last nights to prove that isn't what I want either. Make sense? Plus I have found a couple nuggets of wisdom from doing this exercise...those being.

-I found a better way to do the side monkey buffs.

-I found a more effecient way to do the dust

-I now realize its a risky proceedure to do a largely black logo (on a black jersey) with only minimal highlights revealing form. It leaves NOWHERE to go when I want to try other color schemes as the bg still has to be black or near black for it to work.

Rest assured, this isn't the last try of the week. I'll get this yet.

Thanks as always for taking time from your day(s) to help a brutha out.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

By the way, on the subject of critiques, I don't want rozilla to think that I've been paying absolutely no attention to his Blast concept.

Very nicely done. It certainly provides Joe at Buffalo Pro Hockey a tremendous alternative to Sterling's Stampede package. Not only does your treatment provide a design for the alternative team name (Blast vs. Stampede), but the style of the design is substantially different as well. The two approaches give Joe a choice between a more detailed (NOT a bad thing Sterling... LOL), realistic rendering and a spare, interpretive approach. I love that feel of "iciness". It succeeds in communicating that idea of a winter's wind "blast", just as the dust clouds and flailing forelegs viscerally communicate "stampede" in Sterling's logo.

The forelegs clutching the hockey stick can still strike me as being a bit awkward... but then, a moment later, they don't. I suppose it's just my brain trying to wrap itself around the idea of a bison wielding a hockey stick.

Great job.

Brian in Boston

thirteen.jpg

this is the best one sor far Sterling! this is the perfect home jersey and logo to go with the road one u did a while back. as to who will win between u and rozilla, i think it will all come down to what the name will be. if joe names the team "blast" then rozilla will win, but if "stampede" is chosen, then u will win.

as for the possible simularities between rozilla's logo and a local buisnese's(sp?) logo, im sure that it will take care of itself. i dont think that rozilla's logo needs to be changed. i say this because if the logo notoriousap describes really is simular, then im sure that joe will simply not chose it. joe lives in buffalo, and if the logo notoriousap describes is as aboundant as he sais it is, he probablly knows about it. the fact that joe hasnt said anything leads me to believe that the logo that notoriousap describes ist as simular as he thinks it is. im not calling u a lier notoriousap, im just pointing out some key facts that must be concuderd before rozilla even thinks about scraping a perfectly good (and well desighned) logo.

OK. Back to the one that people seem to like the best (of mine).

First off, I apologize this is such a big image. There is really no reason for it except that I am really happy and like it, so..........BIGNESS!

For those with dial-up. sigh.........my apologies.

ANyway, I have told ye all my tale of woe as I couldn't figure out what about my raging guys didn't look like bison. It looked cool, but side guys were monkeys and front guy.......front guy was some sort of bull.

Well, I busted arse tonight and sometimes........sometimes life is good.

Here she is.

sixteen.jpg

Now, I think this is a big step forward for this one. However, it's also right back where it was a week ago in terms of color. I drew it in grey scale cause the color was confusing me and causing me to make UnSterling like marks and creative decisions. So js or Ro or anybody feels like helping me color this Capitals-style, I'll send you the vector and I'd much appreciate it. I'll take a crack tomorrow too.

Thanks all. G'night.

PS - I have one with tongue out and drool too........I'll post it later. I tried going craziER instead of dialing back first. It helps.

From the "Is this so crazy it just might work" files.

I wanted to show you guys the tongue one and thought........hmmmmm. Lets put all three of them as detailed face guys. Wow.

I dunno. I like it. Cause the others are neat but the rendering levels are so drastically different between #1 and #s 2&3 that it gets a wee bit silly.

This way, all the same for sho.

I love drooly.

But you tell me. ???

seventeen.jpg

I got to admit I wasnt sold when i saw just the head but when you combined it with the rest of the logo it blew me away... AWESOME work...

edit this was posted before the so cray it may work... im not sold on the 3 faces... the drool just looks goofy to me... sorry but thats just what i think... not that its not cool just doesnt fit in with the rest

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Sterling, dig the happy medium you came up with in the previous page. :D My only nitpick is the tuft beneath the main buffalo's head. It looks fine in the stand alone head shot but when combined in the stampede mark, the shading and shape throws it off. To me there appears to be 2 forelegs. Other than that you incorporated some of the main comments from the board and I think you have your most solid concept. Great job!

Putting the finishing touches on the secondary marks. Should have them ready by the deadline. In the meantime I have converted the logo and wordmark into the Caps color scheme. Here's what it looks like. The logo looks like it holds up at a reduced size as well.

BuffaloBlast5.gif

Looking good man, real good.

I am thinking it might look nice with the "ice blue" you had instead of the grey. I know its not a Washington color but. Just a thought.

great work though. I am super impressed at where you've brought this from and to how solid it is now.

i don't think i've commented yet.....

ro- absolutely terrific, the iciness perfectly conveys the name 'blast'....beautiful rendering of the buffalo....the wordmark is top-notch....and done in the caps color scheme is just perfect....i love it.

sterling - i absolutely love your work. you are sometimes far too critical of yourself....i love the middle buffalo in your most recent posting.....i would love to work on the coloring if you would e-mail me the file....i'm gonna try to do a wordmark for the stampede too. hopefully it will do your logo some justice.

you guys are absolutely amazing. it makes me proud to be a part of a community with designers of your caliber.

i would love to work on the coloring if you would e-mail me the file

Sure Joel. Absolutely. You'll have to wait til I get home today but I'll shoot it off to you.

ANd Ro - all your points are duly noted and very astute. I noticed those last night and was just too tired. I cleared a hurdle with the head and rushed the rest to get something posted. I've got to go back in and apply the same kind of lighting logic as I did on the forehead to the rest of his highlighted regions ...flanks/chin etc.. It is definitely not reading correctly now. I think these will be pretty easy to fix though.

And boy am I stoked to get some Stampede wordmark help too! Woo!

Can you tell I've been avoiding it? I know where I want it to go, but.

well guys only 2 days left and you are still comming up with new stuff. excellent. look out for a st. Catherines team, detroit possibly and a few more. am working to help close a couple of those deals in those cities right now, should be done in a few weeks. so i will do my part to get all of you some more work. joe

Sterling...

I prefer the version on the previous page (in the "supercool"/"poopy" post) to this latest rendering. I recognize what you were trying to achieve with the latest version, but when you go with the more "restrained" flanking bison it serves to highlight the central bison more effectively... while still communicating the idea of a "stampede". Also, while I hate to nitpick... the dust clouds need to tweaked, as they're starting to look a bit too "stylized" again.

Oh... and while I appreciate the reality of the bison's lolling tongue and spittle, he also looks like he might have just dropped a tab of acid. LOL.

Other than that, TERRIFIC!!!

Rozilla...

The only potential problem that I foresee is how DARK the overall logo seems... particularly with regard to the mass of the bison's body. I realize that this is a result of working within Joe's preference for the Washington Capital's color scheme. However, as I've suggested to at least one other entrant, why not add a lighter color (in your case "ice blue") to the scheme - particularly as a highlight in the bison's body area - while maintaining the rest of the Cap's palette. I think that it would just make the bison *POP* more!

Brian in Boston

Archived