Buffalo Pro Hockey

buffaloprohockey

To follow up on what Ro and Joe have chimed in.

I don't mean to put across the challenge or whatever intending that we all get paid large amounts of cash and put in charge of an entire league's design.

I think clearly there are two contrary school's of thought on this. One, I and some of the other guys on here do this for a living. Cash is king, gotta pay the bills, yada yada. If we wanted to approach the NEHL on THAT level, I would probably approach them on my own, or with a firm, as anyone would, and then there may be budgetary concerns and the business world would creep in.

I am talking about looking at it on a different level. That being, that I wish I could just bottle up the feeling I've been fortunate to have with the Moose, and share it with you guys. It's pretty indescribeable. So, throwing individual credit, percentages of commissions and all that other nonsense out the window, this is a chance to just team up and make a difference in one little league , in one little corner of the pro hockey world that is real and tactile. One you can go see in person. A jersey you can buy, show your friends, wear on the pond. Some of us may not "do" a logo that is chosen, some of us may only advance the process through ideas, or through recoloring, or text treatment. You can still look at it years from now and say, "Hey, I had something to do with that." This would be a Creamer collective project and I dont know that Joe could guarantee anything in regards to what came of it. But, it seems to me to be a pretty unique opportunity for some of the board to get their ideas in use, for real, if money isn't necessarily an issue.

Thats why I am talking about helping in the manner I am. What the hell do I care? Whether it's my drawing of a cannon and someone's else's idea. The end result is the same. I'll help where I can. I might as well, it's either that or I join the USFL revamp process. This seems to have a greater potential payoff. (emotional, not financial)

That's all I'm saying. So thanks Ro, for bringing the topic up so quickly, I never meant that we HAVE to come to a consensus and try to sell it. Not my point.

And as paynomind said, there should be a little bit of organization to this. Either separate threads or a sticky or going one at a time, whatever.

I think that cougars start is already ahead what they have.

PS - for the vets, I know this sounds suspicously like the TB Lighting thread that was my second ever. I don't mean to beat a dead horse. I have no desire to make this board anything that it isn't fit to become. I believe in you guys. Sue me. Good, nay great work comes out of here. Make no mistake. The Lighting may be too big to listen to us, but if Joe is willing to take a look, we'd have no reason not to show him something.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see where you are coming from Sterling and as a community project this is a great place to start. Wasn't trying to sour things. I was just trying to put out some thoughts that had been circulating in my head lately regarding people asking for advice and because of that Umlegend thread. I guess I feel guilty that I should have said something back when that thread was posted. It seemed kinda fishy to me. I hope that the posters who put in a lot of effort on that don't get screwed.

We'd all like to make some $$$ but I'd be just as willing to get some exposure that leads to other projects. I know exactly that feeling you want to share cuz I've been lucky to experience that with St. Francis College, NY. Seeing the student body there buying merchandise with my logo on it and going to sporting events on campus and on the road is the greatest.

I would probably pursue this on my own if it was a moneymaker but the success of the Blast/Stampede contest on the boards just goes to show how far all of us CAN go if we all work together like Sterling suggested.

I personally feel that this a collective effort on these could serve as an avenue to get our own design sites and firms some credibility. I think if money is to be involved, then everything should be submitted privately. I think the work through the board should be a non-monetary award and a good way to our names out there. If money were to be involved through the board, I think things would then become hectic and distribution would be dificult to maintain.

I too am reminded of the TB thread, however I feel as though the nucleus of the board has grown (talent-wise and participation-wise). I think this is a great opportunity both on an individual and grou level.

See, this is where my idea of the board's big guns and design hopefuls coming together to make a proper SLUDnet site comes to mind...

I've been a regular around the board for a loooooooong time...I've seen designs go from being executed mainly on Paint or PSP to almost all of us having a form of Illustrator or Photoshop, and in the last 6months alone, the quality of work being produced around here has increased leaps and bounds. (Obviously, I'm excluding myself from this, but I'd like to think I have the odd decent idea here & there)

By operating as a true collective, particularly one without any promise of financial gain or recognition, the Stampede and Blast logos went from the cookie cutter logos Joe brought us to the crappy Blast one I did, to the logos simmered to perfection by Sterling and Rozilla (with everyone else's aid and love, of course). That's when I knew that this place was more than a website, but a real community, and a place that I'm glad and proud to come to every day to see what's new. We don't always agree, and there are a couple of guys who I'm sure I'd pop in the mouth if I ever met them on the street, but above all, we're a big, extended, dysfunctional family. ANd that's pretty sweet.

CC, if you want to set up a separate forum for SLUDnet and potential design jobs, I think that would just be the cat's pajamas. Everyone keep posting your concepts and designs, jersey recolors, in the main group. But when an opportunity like the NEHL comes along, or anything else for that matter, I think a separate forum would help keep it organized a little better, as well as keep things from getting lost in the crowd of the main board.

Way to go boys, you've all done my cynical old heart proud. And no, I'm not gonna name who I'd pop in the mouth...chances are, you know who you are. ANd no, JQK isn't one of them (although I do wanna sit and drink with that boy sometime, Jagrmeister is the one thing that will make my wife make me sleep on the couch from).

Welcome to DrunjFlix

As far as I know, UMLegend just hasn't gotten back to anyone. I hate to assume the worst , most likely he just realized there wasn't much $$ in high schools. I hope that he did not jack the work.

I hate to bring out my 20/20 glasses, but I doubted the viability of that whole thing as well. My sympathys to the guys who busted tail on 11 pages or so worth of ideas.

ANyway, regarding the NEHL. I hate to instigate and then disappear, but I rebuilt my machine and lost my FTP passwords. I am tracking them down and will be able to post concepts soon, hopefully by Friday. I am working on some stuff though and if anyone has a new direction for the Connecticut Cougars they are having trouble visualizing. Send me a PM or post your idea.

Should we start a new thread for the cougars? So as that this thread gets attention and isn't ignored by folks who read the first discussion, and ignore this topic?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

well guys, time to annouce our winner. Sterling has won our contest for the Buffalo Stampede. We will be announcing this at a press conference in buffalo on monday night at the sabres - columbus game. Thank you all who worked so hard and submittedyour ideas. This was a great experience for me. Usually when you go to a message board you expect very little. Thank you so much for exceeding my expectations! joe kolodziej

OH! Hey! I didn't even see that. :wacko:

Daydreaming I guess, was halfway through my post and had to start over.

Well that is obviously fantastico news! Yay me! THanks a million Joe! I've said it before, but the people here who really put in the time are responsible for this. I didn't see the thread early, and wouldn't have pushed in remotely the direction I did without the feedback....(assuming that is, that the Stampede want my final version and not the first. If it's the first, you all did nothing thbbbb. :D ).

Seriously, thanks to everybody for the encouragement and ideas.

And thanks for the hard work of every other entrant, it pushes and brings out the best in all of us.

I picture the landscape of sports logos like a prison cell wall, and in in cellblock Creamer, there are now two notches carved...Bring on the rest!

EXCELLENT job, Sterling. Glad we could all help you out, but truthfully, all the heavy lifting was done by you! We are all just critics, and you know what they say about critics!

Congrats, and let us know how the process goes form yoru end, getting jerseys, etc.

Well deserved.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Congrats, my man! Very nice work. I know who to gun for in the next contest now

Thanks Nitro. Means a lot. But if we get you in on the next one, we'll be the one's chasing you.

I was talking to a friend about this contest and we laughingly came to the conclusion that provided the teams moniker is an angry herbivore........I've got a aptitude for it and a decent chance and coming up with a successful solution.

But there are some serious players roaming here. Any one of ten to fifteen guys (as the WIN showed us) who can light it up, so I can't wait for the next round.

Archived