OKC NBA to announce nickname, logo, colors September 3

Burmy

This whole procedure was like a blind date that you meet on one of those telephone dating hotlines.

The commercial (Clay Bennett) lures you in with these beautiful, big busted women who look like they should be on the cover of Playboy.

They (Bennett/the organization) follow it up by giving you free access for a trial period, where you talk to a girl who has a voice like heaven, and claims that she's not only on par with those hot babes you saw on the commercial, she's BETTER.

It ends with a large buildup, where you two hit it off perfectly, only to go on the blind date to find out your "dream girl" is 5'2, weighs 450 pounds, has buck teeth, lives at home with her parents, is unemployed and broke; looks and smells like she hasn't ever heard of the concepts of soap, water and deoderant and has the personality of a dry shoe.

So finish the story.... how'd the rest of your date work out?

Ask the "date" herself:

photo-521.jpg

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This whole procedure was like a blind date that you meet on one of those telephone dating hotlines.

The commercial (Clay Bennett) lures you in with these beautiful, big busted women who look like they should be on the cover of Playboy.

They (Bennett/the organization) follow it up by giving you free access for a trial period, where you talk to a girl who has a voice like heaven, and claims that she's not only on par with those hot babes you saw on the commercial, she's BETTER.

It ends with a large buildup, where you two hit it off perfectly, only to go on the blind date to find out your "dream girl" is 5'2, weighs 450 pounds, has buck teeth, lives at home with her parents, is unemployed and broke; looks and smells like she hasn't ever heard of the concepts of soap, water and deoderant and has the personality of a dry shoe.

So finish the story.... how'd the rest of your date work out?

Probably turned out to be:

photo-521.jpg

Add some ugly chin hair on that kid, and he looks like Joe Blanton. No wonder I hate Blanton so much.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not to offend the SuperSonics loyalists here, but all of the criticism of the Thunder logo got me thinkin'...what was so freakin' great about their last logo?:

SeattleSuperSonics_PRM_2005-2008_SO.gif

I don't know...that thing always looked like some sort of parks and recreation sign to me...nothing about it visually had anything to do with the name "Sonics" or "SuperSonics".

I certainly am not coming to the defense of the Thunder logo (it sucks), but it wasn't like their last one was a masterpiece either.

My two cents.

Not to offend the SuperSonics loyalists here, but all of the criticism of the Thunder logo got me thinkin'...what was so freakin' great about their last logo?:

I don't know...that thing always looked like some sort of parks and recreation sign to me...nothing about it visually had anything to do with the name "Sonics" or "SuperSonics".

I certainly am not coming to the defense of the Thunder logo (it sucks), but it wasn't like their last one was a masterpiece either.

My two cents.

Uh, AMEN!

That's what I've been saying.

All the OKC logo bashers need to sit down and figure out what makes some of the other logos in the NBA so much better. Trust me, I wrote about it in my blog, there are 4 or 5 maybe even 6 logos that are far worse. If I were to actually sit and rank them all, it would be middle of the pack to lower.

I'm not saying it's idea or perfect, but again far from the worst.

My two cents.

Uh, AMEN!

That's what I've been saying.

All the OKC logo bashers need to sit down and figure out what makes some of the other logos in the NBA so much better. Trust me, I wrote about it in my blog, there are 4 or 5 maybe even 6 logos that are far worse. If I were to actually sit and rank them all, it would be middle of the pack to lower.

I'm not saying it's idea or perfect, but again far from the worst.

While the Sonics' last logo, as well as others, may be rather bland and generic, it's at least decently bland and generic. The new OKC logo is just god awful bland and generic. Random colors (too many btw) not put together well, different fonts and used in way too contrasting forms, and generic clipart-looking graphics. The other teams with generic graphics at least somehow manage to give it enough that it works. I don't know how and I can't explain it. All I know is that OKC did NOT accomplish the same with their new "logo".

My two cents.

The Seattle logo makes me want to have my lunch at a game.

The OKC logo makes me want to lose my lunch at a game.

Just thought I'd show the Thunder logo with the colors adjusted...this shows the true Thunder Red...as opposed to the Illustrator version which skews incorrectly towards Orange:

OklahomaCityThunder_PRM_2009-9999_S.gif

It doesn't seem like it should be that big of a change, but I think with orange it had more pop.

ColorWerx, you have answered this already, but is that shade or red unique? It seems softer than reds you typically see associated with sports brands.

Just thought I'd show the Thunder logo with the colors adjusted...this shows the true Thunder Red...as opposed to the Illustrator version which skews incorrectly towards Orange:

OklahomaCityThunder_PRM_2009-9999_S.gif

It doesn't seem like it should be that big of a change, but I think with orange it had more pop.

ColorWerx, you have answered this already, but is that shade or red unique? It seems softer than reds you typically see associated with sports brands.

I just did a search of my pro colors and my collegiate colors, and I can't find it being used anywhere else - at least for actual franchises or institutions. And I've got quite a large amount of data to check against.

All that I've seen it used for was for the Central League (baseball) logo, and the 1992 NFL Pro Bowl logo (!).

How dare anyone talk about the recent Sonics logo in a negative light. That 'S-basketball' logo is classic and the designers should be proud of themselves for creating a logo that could've stood the test of time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm far from a Sonics fan but that logo (by itself) was fantastic.

edit: I do somewhat agree that the full logo looks like a park sign... I'm just kind of upset that Seattle lost their team.

Untitled-1.png

Heres my beef with the OKC logo, It makes for a good secondary logo but not as the primary. Thats like taking the New Jersey Nets secondary "NJ" logo, and slapping Nets' wordmark right above it and calling the logo. Put effort in being proud of your team name. I wouldnt care if you replaced OKC in the logo with the word THUNDER, Then I would kinda sorta accept it as a primary but to juust slap thunder above a logo that should be your alternate, ummm NO!

Thats the only problem I have its not the logo itself, never had a problem with the name because it was my second choice behind Barons. The colors ill get past even though they resemble the Warriors, doesnt matter cause the Hawks' colors resemble the Nets. With that said, Just make a legitimate primary thats my only beef. It fails as the main logo to represent the organization but not as a secondary.

How dare anyone talk about the recent Sonics logo in a negative light. That 'S-basketball' logo is classic and the designers should be proud of themselves for creating a logo that could've stood the test of time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm far from a Sonics fan but that logo (by itself) was fantastic.

edit: I do somewhat agree that the full logo looks like a park sign... I'm just kind of upset that Seattle lost their team.

Agreed. I liked the S-basketball. However, it didn't hold a candle to the old half-basketball/skyline logo.

This OKC nonsense is nowhere near as good as any of those.

Not to offend the SuperSonics loyalists here, but all of the criticism of the Thunder logo got me thinkin'...what was so freakin' great about their last logo?

I'm not sure, but looking at it makes me thirsty for Sprite.

The worst thing about the OKC logo is the missed opportunity. The Sonics use neutral colors, as no color is notoriously representative of a SuperSonic, but the bright colors do not work for "Thunder," especially when they could have been one of the sole dark-color teams in the NBA (not including black, of course).

My two cents.

Sure, it wasn't a masterpiece, but it had something that the Thunder logo lacks: An identity. The Sonics have had a basketball and an S in that style for a while now, and being one of the only (if not THE only) team with green and gold, it was identifiable. You see that logo, or even just the S-Ball logo, you know its the Sonics.

The OKC logo basically looks like 90s clip art. No identity to be found. Big disappointment logo-wise. The uniforms might be ok, but the logo is bad.

The Sonics logo at least looked like an identity. Sure, it's a basketball and an S, but it also tied into the history of the previous 1980's/early 90's look.

The Thunder logo isn't even a Thunder logo. It's a basketball in a shield with lines around it. Put "PONIES" or "CARPETBAGGERS" or "ROXX" above it, and it's the same logo.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Sonics logo at least looked like an identity. Sure, it's a basketball and an S, but it also tied into the history of the previous 1980's/early 90's look.

The Thunder logo isn't even a Thunder logo. It's a basketball in a shield with lines around it. Put "PONIES" or "CARPETBAGGERS" or "ROXX" above it, and it's the same logo.

Grasping at straws, aren't we? I'm so tired of the vitriol that you spew on these boards. BTW, it's time to change your sig.

Grasping at straws, aren't we? I'm so tired of the vitriol that you spew on these boards. BTW, it's time to change your sig.

Guess who's not invited to my birthday party?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

What the hell's your problem? So far, you've made 4 posts here. Two of these posts were attacks at AAO, one was an attack at DG_Now, and the other one was simply "OSHKOSH B'GOSH!" Here's an idea: why don't you try becoming a contributing member of the community here before you go acting like a bonafide jackass to everyone, huh?

Seriously, you've been a member since July. What do you know about his previous posting history. Perhaps you're a dupe account, in which case there should be an immediate IP address check.

As for your comment on DG "grasping at straws," he isn't. He's making a totally legitimate point. What you're doing is coming onto the boards and being dick.

EDIT: Who are you to talk about his sig? You don't even have a sig!

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Archived