OKC NBA to announce nickname, logo, colors September 3

Burmy

Finally, I love the site. I've been a long-time lurker/user and look forward to coming back more often.

BOOMER SOONER! :D

Just wondering, how can you lurk if you joined in the last week?

I kinda wondered that too. Maybe he's talking about lurking on Chris' logo site, and not the forum.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your PMs are turned off, so I'll ask here:

Are you also Kingpen over on SoonerFans? Just askin' :)

mfoster (aka mfosterftw over on SF)

yup. and ouinsider where I'm a mod. ;)

I'll try to figure out the settings and turn on my PMs.

i've been visiting the site for a long time, but tried joining the forum last week. I couldn't get in so I forgot about it til the other nite.

Courtesy of Uniwatch:

Breakdown of the "logo."

LOL I saw and read the article the come with it.

Logo Doctor Hates Oklahoma City Logo

September 11, 2008 5:17 PM

Very interesting breakdown of the new logo (PG-13 for one word) which never really bothered me before but now suddenly seems horribly amateurish.

For instance, why must it say Thunder OKC, instead of OKC Thunder? Why four colors? Is that a clip-art basketball? Why aren't the letters of the word Thunder wider at the top? Is there really no creative way to show Thunder visually? Doesn't it seem like the letters OKC are falling off that shield thing?

None of this much matters to the quality of the product on the court, and I suspect this level of scrutiny is mainly a product of the negativity surrounding the ownership. Plenty of organizations survive poor logo design.

But there is also this: Just because anyone with a computer can crank out something that could be called design, doesn't mean there is no such thing as serious professional design. Those are the people you'd ideally have on your logo project.

Your PMs are turned off, so I'll ask here:

Are you also Kingpen over on SoonerFans? Just askin' :)

mfoster (aka mfosterftw over on SF)

yup. and ouinsider where I'm a mod. ;)

I'll try to figure out the settings and turn on my PMs.

i've been visiting the site for a long time, but tried joining the forum last week. I couldn't get in so I forgot about it til the other nite.

The reason you couldn't get pm's was because you have to have 2 posts first. When you have 1 post you are just "previewing". But now you can receive pm's.

So, to review, if you're from Oklahoma, the logo is fine and everything is great.

If you're from anywhere else, this is a disaster and terrible design.

Is that about right?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Courtesy of Uniwatch:

Breakdown of the "logo."

Someone here should take this analysis (which is spot on) and redraw the logo. I'd bet the results would be head and shoulders above the real one.

No it wouldn't. Even if you address the sloppiness of the lines and curves, it's still fundamentally bad design.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It might be wishful thinking but maybe the OKC logo is just temporary for this season and hopefully they will have a full blown real logo for 2009-2010.

No, it's wishful thinking. There's a rule that disables any team from changing logos before at least 5 years. Why would OKC be an exception? You heard it right, 5 more years of blunder. It's truly, such a real shame.

It might be wishful thinking but maybe the OKC logo is just temporary for this season and hopefully they will have a full blown real logo for 2009-2010.

No, it's wishful thinking. There's a rule that disables any team from changing logos before at least 5 years. Why would OKC be an exception? You heard it right, 5 more years of blunder.

:down:

No, it's wishful thinking. There's a rule that disables any team from changing logos before at least 5 years. Why would OKC be an exception? You heard it right, 5 more years of blunder. It's truly, such a real shame.

We've all heard about this rule, but has anybody actually seen it or is this just another case of repeating what we've heard? Are there actual bylaws printed that say this? And is it so limited that it doesn't allow exceptions?

Such rules would certainly apply to franchises with an established brand. But a relocation like this -- where a complete rebranding is being done, apparently, on the fly -- isn't an every-day occurrence in the league. If such exceptions were allowed, this would surely fit the bill.

Archived