Resurrection of the USFL

JH42XCC

The only way I think another league could ever succeed is if it is a full blown minor league system, with affiliate teams being in close proximity to the big teams(i.e. Miami's affiliate being in Palm Beach, Naples, or Ft. Lauderdale). The fans close enough to root for a team but not close enough to go to the games would be able to see pro football or some sort, plus it would give reserves(such as 3rd string QBs who never play) a chance to get game playing time. They could play the games during the week and have weekly call-ups(like having the 3rd string QB play during the week and be there on Sundays just in case). Think of the TV ratings for NFL network and ESPN with football all week long.

That strikes me as a really interesting idea. The primary drawback might be that reserves (ex., 3rd string QBs) would be practicing with their affiliate team all week instead of the parent team, which could leave them ill-prepared if they are forced into action. The other concern would be finding enough players to field 32 farm teams. It might work better if teams shared affiliates (ex., Ravens and Redskins sharing a team in Annapolis, Eagles and Steelers sharing a team in Harrisburg).

That's one problem I see - the other is the vast potential for injuries.

The risk is too high to have all the backups playing full-contact against other backups desperate to prove their worth.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only way I think another league could ever succeed is if it is a full blown minor league system, with affiliate teams being in close proximity to the big teams(i.e. Miami's affiliate being in Palm Beach, Naples, or Ft. Lauderdale). The fans close enough to root for a team but not close enough to go to the games would be able to see pro football or some sort, plus it would give reserves(such as 3rd string QBs who never play) a chance to get game playing time. They could play the games during the week and have weekly call-ups(like having the 3rd string QB play during the week and be there on Sundays just in case). Think of the TV ratings for NFL network and ESPN with football all week long.

That strikes me as a really interesting idea. The primary drawback might be that reserves (ex., 3rd string QBs) would be practicing with their affiliate team all week instead of the parent team, which could leave them ill-prepared if they are forced into action. The other concern would be finding enough players to field 32 farm teams. It might work better if teams shared affiliates (ex., Ravens and Redskins sharing a team in Annapolis, Eagles and Steelers sharing a team in Harrisburg).

The risk is too high to have all the backups playing full-contact against other backups desperate to prove their worth.

Presumably, these would be the backups to the backups (i.e., the No. 54-80 guys who didn't survive training camp), with the exception of a few players, so injuries shouldn't be as much of a concern.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Realistically, this could actually serve as NFL Europa. The ownerships know they are goingto get bottom tier NFL talent. No one's going to go up against the NFL even with the antitrust broken up. I think the Europa model would work better in the states that are hungry for football. Demographicvs should be used by the commish. I assume that is why they were so high on the Home Depot Center. I wwouldn't discoiunt it right off but until there is a commited effort and faces for the teams that aren't based on non-paying students, it'll be a pipe dream. I hope it becomes reality but the truth is it would probably squeeze out the Arena League.

Presumably, these would be the backups to the backups (i.e., the No. 54-80 guys who didn't survive training camp), with the exception of a few players, so injuries shouldn't be as much of a concern.

It's those few players who worry me, though. The Patriots' third string quarterback at the beginning of the season is now the backup. Especially since I can see this new league as being particularly brutal, having a lot of desperate players with a lot to prove.

The one thing I do not want to see is washed-up/retired NFLers trying to play, and the league allowing it for marketing purposes. Imagine Jerry Rice, Jerome Bettis, Drew Bledsoe, Doug Flutie, and Ricky Williams (for a different reason) playing in this league. Gross.

Not sure if anyone else has seen this but I found another old USFL site:

http://www.usfl.info/

I like the idea of it being a farm league. I think it would work better that way. It would also be nice to see the old cities getting the new teams use their old names/colors with an updated look. And for those cities that didn't get a team again, maybe they could use some of the old names in the new cities.

Old Teams:

Arizona Wranglers

Denver Gold

Memphis Showboats

Oklahoma Outlaws

San Antonio Gunslingers

Birmingham Stallions

Houston Gamblers

Michigan Panthers

Orlando Renegades

Tampa Bay Bandits

Boston Breakers

Jacksonville Bulls

New Jersey Generals

Philadelphia Stars

Washington Federals

Chicago Blitz

Los Angeles Express

Oakland Invaders

Pittsburgh Maulers

Here is what I wouldn't mind seeing the names be for the new teams.

New Teams:

NORTH-WEST DIVISION

Los Angeles (Express)

Las Vegas (Wranglers)

San Jose (Invaders)

Portland (Breakers)

San Antonio (Gunslingers)

Open Spot could go to:

Dallas (Outlaws)

Houston (Gamblers)

Salt Lake City (Gold)

SOUTH-EAST DIVISION

Orlando (Renegades)

Little Rock (Maulers)

New York - West Point (Panthers)

Baton Rouge (Bulls)

Two Open Spots could go to:

Cincinnati (Blitz)

Memphis (Showboats)

Mississippi (Bandits)

New Jersey (Generals)

Alabama (Stallions)

Hey wasn't there someone on here doing concepts of updated looks for the USFL? I think I might work on some.

HOME STADIUMS

Northwest Division

Los Angeles: Home Depot Center (Carson, CA)

Las Vegas: Sam Boyd Stadium

Portland: PGE Park

San Antonio: Alamodome

San Jose: Spartan Stadium (San Jose State University)

One open spot could go to:

Dallas: Cotton Bowl or Gerald J. Ford Stadium (SMU) or Pizza Hut Park (Frisco, TX)

Houston: Robertson Stadium (University of Houston) or Rice Stadium (Rice University)

Salt Lake City: Rice-Eccles Stadium or Real Salt Lake Stadium (Sandy, UT)

South-East Division

Baton Rouge: Ace W. Mumford Stadium (Southern University) or BREC Memorial Stadium

Little Rock: War Memorial Stadium

New York (West Point): obviously... Michie Stadium (U.S. Military Academy)

Orlando: Citrus Bowl or Bright House Networks Stadium (UCF)

Two open spots could go to:

Alabama: Legion Field (Birmingham, AL)

Cincinnati: Nippert Stadium (Univ. of Cincinnati)

Memphis: Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium

Mississippi: Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium

New Jersey: Rutgers Stadium (Rutgers Univ. - Piscataway, NJ) or Red Bull Arena (Harrison, NJ)

YOZXkBG.png?1

Archived