(Another) Tampa Bay Rays concept

elliott

Hello again y'all, I have only done one other full-fledged rebrand before, that was for the Mariners. Here is the link. I have also done one other Rays concept, but now I am doing a Rays rebrand!

All logos are original and made by me, of course. I wanted to focus on the sun motif, rather than the small sparkle of light that they have now. I also wanted to get away from their generic font. The number font is custom, I'm getting into using fontstruct.com, if you have never tried it you might want to check it out. The primary logo was really done after the wordmarks, so I'll post the wordmarks first.

Rays--RebrandWRDMRK.gif

I realize that 'Tampa Bay' might be a little long for a wordmark but I went for it anyways.

Here are the logos. The crest has the baseball diamond in the background like their current primary. It's just blue, instead of white. Everything else is new. The cap logos are based off the wordmarks.

Rays--RebrandLOGOS.gif

Here is the font sheet.

Rays--RebrandNMBRS.gif

Ok, the uniforms, finally.

Rays--RebrandJerseys.gif

Rays--RebrandJerseysAlt.gif

Whew, that was a lot of images, I don't have much else to say, but I would love to get everyone's opinions. I did put a lot of time and effort into these designs over the last week, so I do hope you like it.

The heavy emphasis on sky blue just doesn't look right... it doesn't stand out enough on the white jerseys and looks almost green on the grey.

The sun rays really don't fit on those jerseys either, they make them look way too cartoonish for an MLB team... for the alternate, it would be fine, though.

The number font really doesn't match anything, it's very boxy compared to the wordmark, and the name-font, from the sheet, doesn't seem like it would work for just about anything.

I think the idea has potential, but it's not there yet.

i don't like the font or the primary logo. The line through the sun makes it look like a hat on the baseball. It could be a good alternate logo I guess. I could see a minor league team wearing this but not in the majors. Overall though, it's pretty good.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

It is a little bit of a different take, and for that it's refreshing. I like the idea behind using light blue because it is a somewhat unique color to MLB (Royals and Blue Jays notwithstanding). The sun on the primary looks far too much like a hat; you could mitigate this by making it a yellow sun with baseball stitches or something, but that doesn't exactly scream Major League, either.

I would ditch light-blue-on-gray. I don't think it gives significant enough contrast. A powder-blue road uniform might be a way to go here.

Consider thickening your workmark font, it may not be read well from a distance.

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

I don't think it'll work. I believe it is a little cartoonish. Sorry but it also is a little eye numbing.

Hmm....if you mean the color scheme I took it right from the Rays logo.

Thanks for the comments so far guys, I do agree that it is very cartoonish. I don't think I will update it because I don't really want to completely rework it. Sorry that most of you don't really like it, but that's life, you win some and you lose some!

I actually don't mind these--I like the BP cap with its use of yellow (my complaint with their actual unis). I'll bet, though, that with the amazing success they've had this year, that the new look is growing on people. I hated it at first, but after 80-something wins I don't mind it so much.

The two ends of the sun are both different and it's really pissing me off, tbh. The primary logo's two last "rays" should be separate from the actual sun. Another thing in the primary logo is the ray interferes with the outlining. Other than that, me likey.

The two ends of the sun are both different and it's really pissing me off, tbh. The primary logo's two last "rays" should be separate from the actual sun. Another thing in the primary logo is the ray interferes with the outlining. Other than that, me likey.

Yeah it looks like the baseball is wearing a hard hat.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Archived