NFL-League Wide Jersey Patch

capsfan1000

NEW YORK -- NFL players will wear a uniform patch this season to honor NFL Players' Association leader Gene Upshaw, who died Aug. 20.

The league announced Monday that the patch will have the initials GU and the number 63, which he wore while playing for the Oakland Raiders.

Upshaw died of pancreatic cancer just three days after he was diagnosed.

The patch will be worn on the left chest of jerseys and is scheduled to make its debut Thursday, when the New York Giants and Washington Redskins open the season. Upshaw's wife, Terri, and his three sons will participate in the coin toss.

Upshaw made the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1987 as the first player to play guard exclusively. He won two Super Bowls and made seven Pro Bowls in his 307-game NFL career.

He served 25 years as the executive director of the union from 1983 until his death.

The Raiders will also honor Upshaw in their opening game on Sept. 8 with a video tribute, and a replica of the uniform patch will be painted on the field in Oakland and at the Meadowlands.

"Gene was a truly unique, one-of-a-kind contributor to the NFL," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "No one in our game has ever combined Gene's level of achievement both as a Hall of Fame player and as an executive leader. No one did more for NFL players than Gene Upshaw. He deserves our everlasting respect and thanks."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3563858

I was expecting a helmet sticker in honor to Upshaw, not a league-wide jersey patch. If, as this article seems to state, every player in the league wears this patch, I think it'll be a bad thing. There will be clutter on several teams that are already wearing a patch, and if it's a league-wide thing it'll look out of the color scheme of some teams.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NEW YORK -- NFL players will wear a uniform patch this season to honor NFL Players' Association leader Gene Upshaw, who died Aug. 20.

The league announced Monday that the patch will have the initials GU and the number 63, which he wore while playing for the Oakland Raiders.

Upshaw died of pancreatic cancer just three days after he was diagnosed.

The patch will be worn on the left chest of jerseys and is scheduled to make its debut Thursday, when the New York Giants and Washington Redskins open the season. Upshaw's wife, Terri, and his three sons will participate in the coin toss.

Upshaw made the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1987 as the first player to play guard exclusively. He won two Super Bowls and made seven Pro Bowls in his 307-game NFL career.

He served 25 years as the executive director of the union from 1983 until his death.

The Raiders will also honor Upshaw in their opening game on Sept. 8 with a video tribute, and a replica of the uniform patch will be painted on the field in Oakland and at the Meadowlands.

"Gene was a truly unique, one-of-a-kind contributor to the NFL," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "No one in our game has ever combined Gene's level of achievement both as a Hall of Fame player and as an executive leader. No one did more for NFL players than Gene Upshaw. He deserves our everlasting respect and thanks."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3563858

I was expecting a helmet sticker in honor to Upshaw, not a league-wide jersey patch. If, as this article seems to state, every player in the league wears this patch, I think it'll be a bad thing. There will be clutter on several teams that are already wearing a patch, and if it's a league-wide thing it'll look out of the color scheme of some teams.

Depending on what it is, it won't be. Obviously it'll look good on the Raiders, but if it's a black patch it won't look out of place on most jerseys. Maybe just the ones with no black anywhere... i.e. Colts, Packers, Bears, Cowboys. But with most teams if it is a black and white (or silver) patch it shouldn't be an issue.

espnsig.gif

I like the idea of a league-wide patch (even if I don't like the mockup we've seen).

But for the entire season? Sheesh. Has the entire nation somehow become completely unable to deal with grief? Commissioners don't even get that treatment. Of course, they will have to now, the bar having been raised.

I heard the Raiders were also going to be wearing a black jersey (or at least a black armband on their home jersey) to commemorate his loss.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I heard the Raiders were also going to be wearing a black jersey (or at least a black armband on their home jersey) to commemorate his loss.

haha

Gene Upshaw doesn't deserve such an honor... I agree, one week or 2 weeks, but not a whole season!!! maybe they'll get rid of the annoying captain's patches to make room for this bullshyte

what's gonna happen when tagliabue bites the dust? eliminate jersey numbers so they can have a big "PT R.I.P." patch?!!!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Wasn't this guy generally disliked around the league? at least professionally? didn't he mess up the labor talks and strikes and cause the nfl players union to be as ridiculously weak as it is today and .... oh now i see why the league wants to honor him. I'm sure all the 3rd string players with non-guaranteed contracts can't wait to wear his patch.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Every stadium in the league will be sent out to sea and lit on fire, like a Viking funeral.

I was tempted to make a viking funeral crack, thanks for doing that.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived