Tucson Toros...

Blackjack76

I bet I'm the only one on the boards who remembers when now-mayor of Winnipeg Sam Katz tried to buy the Toros and move them to Winnipeg in the mid-80's.

Everything was signed and ready, until AAA and MLB stopped the sale. At that time, we would have been the Astros' AAA affiliate.

Carry on.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I bet I'm the only one on the boards who remembers when now-mayor of Winnipeg Sam Katz tried to buy the Toros and move them to Winnipeg in the mid-80's.

Everything was signed and ready, until AAA and MLB stopped the sale. At that time, we would have been the Astros' AAA affiliate.

Carry on.

Years later the state of Arizona got their revenge and moved the Jets to Phoenix :P

My gut is, if the Dodger return to Albuquerque, the Dukes return. If the Isotope name was so loved, then why is there Dukes merchandise being sold? Don't believe me? http://www.nmlook.com/dukes/ I'm taking a guess that the people in Albuquerque would ditch the Isotope name in a heartbeat for the return of the Dukes. Send the Isotopes back where they belong, Springfield!

Hey, thanks for posting that link to the Dukes shop. I had no idea that that stuff would be available anywhere! Just found me a new hat.

If the Isotope name was so loved, then why is there Dukes merchandise being sold?

Because, it enables the team to make extra money by selling throwback Dukes merchandise and current Isotopes gear.

Yeah, but this Zia Graphics claims to be an independent retailer, not connected with the Isotopes directly. Apparently, they sell merch. for anything connected with New Mexico.

I seem to remember when the Dukes moved to Portland, the owners kept the rights to the name and logos. When Albuquerque got the new team, the ownership said that they would rather start with a new identity than buy back the Dukes name. So, unless they made a deal somewhere, I guess that any money made off of Dukes merch. goes into the pockets of the Portland Beavers ownership.

I seem to remember when the Dukes moved to Portland, the owners kept the rights to the name and logos. When Albuquerque got the new team, the ownership said that they would rather start with a new identity than buy back the Dukes name. So, unless they made a deal somewhere, I guess that any money made off of Dukes merch. goes into the pockets of the Portland Beavers ownership.

Actually, it goes into the pockets of a gentleman by the name of Fred Matteucci, as well as his merchandising partner - Zia Graphics.

Mr. Matteucci secured the trademark rights to the Albuquerque Dukes name and logo in October of 2004, after the previous owners allowed protection on the brand to go dead. Matteucci secured the Dukes name in the hope that he could convince the owners of the Isotopes to dump their new identity package and revive the old one. To date, beyond scheduling some Dukes Retro Nights, ownership of the Isotopes has shown no iclination to switch back to the Dukes name.

In February of 2005, Mr. Matteucci forged a partnership with Zia Graphics to produce and sell Dukes merchandise. I had thought that Mr. Matteucci had offered to cut the Isotopes ownership group in on the profits from Dukes merchandise sales in exchange for linking to their website, but that's not the case.

In any event, Mr. Matteucci and the folks at Zia Graphics have been selling Dukes merchandise for over three years and Isotopes ownership still hasn't blinked. Why should they? Reportedly, sales of Isotopes merchandise is still going strong. It simply shows that both brands can successfully exist in the marketplace - one as the current identity and the other as a retro brand.

Archived