Customized jerseys

CJR

Okay, so I followed the advice of someone on this board and ordered a CCM Vintage Red Wings jersey a few weeks ago from Jersey Express.  They emailed me earlier this week to show me the customization template they were using to make sure I got what I wanted and I replied pointing out errors in it.  I spent a day finding pictures of what it should look like and pointing Jersey Express to them.  I never got to see the updated template.

Today my jersey came and I don't know if it's because I expected it to be better from all the work I put in or if I'm just being picky but I think the "Captain's 'C'" seriously sucks.

Photo of my jersey

Photo of one of the originals

The second photo has the 'A' instead of the 'C' but you can see what it should be.

Am I just being too picky or does their finished product really look wrong to anyone else?

Edited to fix the fact that I screwed up the URL

I think they blew the whole thing.  It looks to me like the stripes on the original jersey are larger all around.  The diamond might be the actual size as the one used on the originals, but because the stripes on the replica appear narrower it doesn't fit.

The stripes are off which makes the "C" look off.  If they wanted to sneak it past you,they could've centered the diamond a little better and you're all set.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I thought the stripes only looked off because the orignal photo is on a player wearing pads and the new one is flattened out, but that's just me.

Also, take a look of the shape of the original diamond and the one on mine.  The original is much more square and shorter because of it.

Original template

At least the diamond is square in that one, but it's still too big.  There's also not a red border around it.

After they made a big deal to me about the lettering going in the position it is on the template, they ended up putting it so the bottom of the letters is close to lined up with the bottom of the top red stripe.  That's where I said it went.  They said their template was backed up with photographic evidence from some collector but all the photos I found said it was wrong.

Legal question:  They say there are no returns on customized items but since I paid them, aren't they obligated by a contract (written or otherwise) to deliver what I want, and since even after I showed them what I wanted they didn't deliver it, they have to try again?  Am I right?  Am I even making sense?

The DETROIT letters look a little off-font, or a little small or something.  It's close, though.
Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Actually, this is a little nitpicky, but it could make everything else look a bit off, it looks like the stripes start lower in regards to the shoulder stitching than on the ones from '91-92. it also looks like the "C" patch is just too tall. It also looks like they used the wrong number font. Seems like I remember these having what amounts to basic "softball league" type digits. at least they placed the name in the right spot. nhluniforms.com shows a font like that, as well.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

I agree that the stripes seem to be about an inch too low, but that's a CCM problem so I'll deal with it because they're not going to change the whole line for an inch.  That has compounded things though, because the name and numbers on the back (which I think looks fine) are too high in relation to the stripes.  It also raises questions about the placement of the 'C', which I'm guessing would be raised like the name and numbers were.

My big problem is with the shape and size of the diamond and the 'C'.  Because I'm so annoyed about this and you guys are the only people as obsessive about logo/jersey details as I am, I've redrawn (to scale) how it is and how it should have been, you can see the difference really well without interference from the stripes.

Wrong way (what I got)

Right way (what I should have gotten)

I'm giving them through the weekend to respond to my email before I call to see what's up.

Edited to add this disclaimer: My drawings aren't perfect, they're just close representations.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, I had sent the them the link to that page already and they still got it wrong.  The good news is I got in touch with them and they realized it was a mistake and paid for me to send it back so they could fix it.  It's great now.  A little off on certain things, but as good as I expected.  I was ready to post on here telling everyone to avoid Jersey Express but now I use them for everything thanks to their great customer service.

Man I know where you're coming from. I recently went through the same thing with a Blues Pronger jersey I had done at a nearby sports store. They botched all the numbers, letters, and didn't put the name on a nameplate. I went back and they gave me a load of BS about how those were the team specs (even though they were wrong?) and how they couldn't re-do it. I ended up just selling it on eBay and I got some decent green, and now I ordered a new one thorugh nhl.com because I know they'll do it right. Anyway, I realize you're in a tougher situation since this is a rare throwback. I'm not really sure what to reccomend, I don't know if they'd be willing to re-do it.

Just my two cents, but I once got a Tampa Bay Lightning 3rd Lecavalier jersey.  I ordered it from StarStruck.com (now owned by someone else).

What they did for me was "correct" a mistake.  I ordered "Lecavalier," #8.  When I got it, it had a #4 on it, as well as the Captain's "C."

I pointed out to the phone rep that not only was 4 the wrong number, but that I asked for 8.  Eventually her manager got on and pointed out to me that Vincent Lecavalier wears number 4, NOT number 8, so as a favor to me, they changed it.  He was very smug and felt he pretty well shut me up.

Ah, I pointed out to him, Lecavalier does indeed wear #4!  Thank you so much!  BUT....  

But indeed.  But, I continued, he wore number 8 his rookie year, which is the only year while he was there that the team wore the third jersey.  Additionally, while he is a captain now, he wasn't then.

The guy seemed floored by all this info.  In the end, all I got was $5 refunded to me.  Woo-hoo!  That was supposedly to pay to have the "C" removed.  As for the number,the company maintais that they were correct to change the number to 4 since that is indeed the number he wearsnow,and was wearing when the jersey was ordered.

I gave the jersey to my little sister. She just thinks the waves and lightning bolts look cool.  She doesn't care anout the numbers. More power to her.

Like I said, just my two cents about something that went wrong for me.

Rob

Yeah, some of these places can really be ridiculous. I mean, you asked for #8 and they still gave you a 4. Why do they think they know more than we do about these things? Don't they realize what fans we are, and how obsessed with detail we are? No, you must be wrong, because Lecavalier wears #4 now. Ha.

Man I know where you're coming from. I recently went through the same thing with a Blues Pronger jersey I had done at a nearby sports store. They botched all the numbers, letters, and didn't put the name on a nameplate. I went back and they gave me a load of BS about how those were the team specs (even though they were wrong?) and how they couldn't re-do it. I ended up just selling it on eBay and I got some decent green, and now I ordered a new one thorugh nhl.com because I know they'll do it right. Anyway, I realize you're in a tougher situation since this is a rare throwback. I'm not really sure what to reccomend, I don't know if they'd be willing to re-do it.

Yes, some people can really bite with the job they do. I have a couple that I don't even wear now because they look bad to me. Minor things "normal" people would not notice but, I know it's there and it bugs the hell out of me.

You may notice two things with NHL.com, 1- they take a LONG time. 2- my friend got a USA jersey done by them, while the lettering is done well, they stiched the letters through both the name plate and jersey. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a name plate?

I guess I am to blame for your problems YzerFan, since I recommended them. But, I have never been wronged by them so that's why I did. I am glad that they helped you out, they are really good at helping the customer out.

I guess I am to blame for your problems YzerFan, since I recommended them. But, I have never been wronged by them so that's why I did. I am glad that they helped you out, they are really good at helping the customer out.

You're not to blame, they are.  Thankfully, they were great about it and fixed it and it's all good.

Archived