Jersey Wearin' Protocol

hjwii

A previous thread on wearing a jersey/cap just for the look of the logo/colors got me thinking... and it's really not related, but...

Can you be too old to wear a sports jersey?

See, I'm *cough cough* 39 now. I started collecting jerseys and caps about 30 years ago (an orange Houston Astros cap was my first, only took a summer to wear it out...). Over 30 years, one ends up with many items in their collection... I have about 40 caps and maybe 60 jerseys (25 baseball jerseys, 20 soccer, 10 hockey and a few others, give or take). When I was in high school and college, and even up til I was about 30, I never thought twice about wearing them. But, as I get older, I wonder if I I'm too old to wear a shirt that has "LUGNUTS" across the front? Then again I'm just a big kid at heart, so I kinda like wearing a "Lugnuts" shirt...

So, let me know? Am I too old? How old is this board? Does anyone wear their jerseys just for the hell of it? Or do I have to be going to a Saints game to wear my Saints jersey?

And, if you've read this far, how many jerseys in your collection?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm only 24, but have started to feel too old to wear jerseys at the grocery store.

however, i've just learned to restrain myself when it comes to purchasing "other team" jerseys, and just stick to collecting anything and everything that MY teams have ever worn.

then i wear them to games, or around the house while watching my team on tv.

caps, i'll wear anywhere, though.

however, if i were to see you at the grocery store, in a lugnuts jersey, i'd probably silently think to myself "that guy's awesome. i should wear my jerseys more often."

Good question....I'm 27, and I think Jay-Z rapped about the fact that he doesn't wear jerseys cuz he's over 30, or something like that. I dunno.

I have close to 200 jerseys...and about 70 hats...it's fluffin crazy. But one thing I defintely notice is that I've cut down on wearing them when I go out. More often than not, I only wear my jerseys if I'm getting together with my friends to watch a game, or am just loungin around the house. Or, in some instances, I'll wear one when I meet up with my friends for Sunday breakfast.

When I graduated from college four years ago, I specifically remember buying a Tedy Bruschi jersey right before graduation, literally thinking "Wow, this will probably be the last jersey I'll ever buy now that I'm about to go into the real world."

Yeah, right. About 100 jerseys later....I'm still buying them. I figure by the time I'm 30...I may cut down and start selling them.

Oh, and I'd never knock someone for wearing a jersey. It's all good to me. Even if it says "Lugnuts" (which, I agree w/ ColeJ - "that guy's awesome.")

Disagree. Soccer shirts are fine for tucking in. I think football jerseys are tuckable, depending on the sitaution/length--they look goofier hanging real long.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Disagree. Soccer shirts are fine for tucking in. I think football jerseys are tuckable, depending on the sitaution/length--they look goofier hanging real long.

I agree that football jerseys are tuckable. I'd prefer that they be shorter, because untucked is more comfortable. And I'd never buy a basketball jersey because they would look ridiculous tucked, but they're too long otherwise.

But I disagree on soccer shirts. I'd never tuck one in. The ones I buy don't seem long enough to be tucked in, at least for casual wear.

I'm 27 and I've found myself wearing jerseys less and less. In fact, it's extremely rare that you'll find me wearing one these days if I'm not at, on my way to, or just left a game. I had a pretty good collection when I was in my early 20's (had a job at Eastbay that hooked me up with a nice employee discount), but I ended up selling most of them once I got to college and needed book and food money and never felt a need to replace them. Now I tend to opt for t-shirts and hoodies due to cheaper costs and the fact that actual jerseys are clearly designed for teenagers.

I could see myself wearing soccer shirts just for the hell of it though.

Agreed there. I almost always wear my football jerseys untucked, and if it's so long that it would be tucked then it's too big for me to buy. The only football jersey that I tuck in is the one that I'm wearing right now, and that is my high school jersey which is just too long to wear untucked.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Can you be too old to wear a sports jersey?

No. It's about the setting and the moxie of the wearer, not the age of the wearer.

A college-age kid wearing a jersey at a game at the stadium, but being sheepish about it because he's not entirely comfortable wearing a jersey? That guy shouldn't wear the jersey.

A 54-year-old senior policy analyst at the U.S. Capitol on a playoff day wearing his team's jersey in total confidence, complete with his own name on the back, tucked in like a sweater vest over his shirt and tie (and under his jacket when going onto the floor of the Senate to pass a note to his boss)? That guy is just fine wearing the jersey.

Just to cite two jersey-wearing incidents I've witnessed in the last year. Point is, if it's a jersey-wearing event, your age isn't really important. And if you're able to wear the jersey with confidence, then your age and the setting don't really matter.

The fact that you're asking suggests that you're not as confident about wearing the jersey as you need to be to pull it off in non-sports settings. Which is fine -- most of the time, I can't pull off a jersey in non-game settings myself. I'm pushing 35, and I wear jerseys to ballgames, when puttering around the house, to sports-watching events at friends' houses and bars, while driving on long road trips, and to certain public events like patriotic parades and the like. Outside of that list, I get self-conscious, and if a jersey makes you self-conscious, you just shouldn't wear it.

On the other hand, I'm totally comfortable wearing my vintage Hawaiian shirts in any setting, so I often do, and frankly they're not much more formal than a baseball jersey. But because of my level of comfort, I can totally pull off the Hawaiian shirt in even the most formal settings, whereas I really can't even pull off a jersey at the grocery store.

Bottom line? Wear what you're comfortable wearing, when, where, and how you're comfortable wearing it. But be straight with yourself about your level of comfort and confidence, and don't push your own limits.

20082614447.png

I would never judge someone because they had a sports jersey, and even if people do judge you, it's their problem. I don't wear jerseys anymore (I'm 21 now), but I would never stop if I enjoyed wearing them. So basically, whatever you think is right... is right.

I only tend to wear soccer shirts outside of the house now, and even then its my very plain Australian soccer shirt or the old school Liverpool one which aren't covered in sponsors logos. I've grown out of wearing my rugby jerseys outside of watching events.

I think once you're the same age or older than the athletes who wear them, you've got to start thinking twice.

liverpool-1.png

I only tend to wear soccer shirts outside of the house now, and even then its my very plain Australian soccer shirt or the old school Liverpool one which aren't covered in sponsors logos. I've grown out of wearing my rugby jerseys outside of watching events.

I think once you're the same age or older than the athletes who wear them, you've got to start thinking twice.

My dad is 65 and still wears jerseys of all sorts in public - drives my wife and I nuts.

I'm 38, and my wife won't let me wear one with her in public - unless we're going to a Yankee game. I'm a Yankee fan living in Boston, and the one indulgence my wife allows me with my uniform collection is to wear my Yankee jersey to the Stadium.

I have a pretty cool collection (Seattle Pilots, SF Seals, Hollywood Stars, NY Knights, New Haven Ravens [home/away], Prince William Cannons, Asheville Tourists, and a bunch more), but they're all banned from wearing in public.

I can wear them to halloween parties, and that's about it.

Great thread. I am 38 and have had the same mental conversations with myself. At what point do I kill the jerseys? I finally settled on the following.

Flyers--Only at games. No other time.

Phillies--I will wear the player t-shirts I can get for $10 at TJ Maxx. That's it.

Eagles--This is more complicated. I will wear them to games. I will occasionally under certain circumstances wear selected jerseys out once in a while. I've pulled together about 8 or 9 Eagles jerseys from various eras, so it's sort of a collection as well. But since I got my Sand-Knit vintage kelly green Montgomery earlier this year, I kinda feel like I'm done (cost me less than a new Reebok, and much better quality, BTW). I still love jerseys--I look at them on ebay and occasionally will want to bite, but I know that unless it's my team now it's sorta throwing money in a hole.

My long term thought process has been when I become older than the oldest active player I will no longer wear a jersey. But we'll see.

Caps--don't worry about them. You can wear caps until you're 100. Maybe not the silly minor league types, but anything vintage major league is perfectly acceptable.

Bring back the Whale!

If I ran into someone wearing a soccer jersey in public, I'm not sure I'd even realize it.

depends on the shirt. I know when I head out, there's a half decent chance I'll come across someone wearing a Mexico or Chivas shirt, as there are a lot of Mexicans here. On the flipside, I rarely see anyone wearing a US national shirt.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I'm 18 and I have huge collection of jerseys and hats from my favorite teams. I only wear the jerseys on game days (my football ones anyway.), but hats I wear everday. During baseball I try only to wear my Giants' hats or their minor league teams. Like now, I alternate between my Raiders hat and my Giants hate since both seasons are going on.

raiders-2.png

I remember the first time I ever saw Christmas Vacation with Clark Grizwold wearing his Blackhawks jersey I thought he pulled it off rather well. That said, I think I wear my jerseys less and less. Not so much because of the look, but more so because of how they fit. Most of the jerseys I buy now are authentics (as opposed to replicas) and especially with hockey and football jerseys they are cut to be worn over pads. I went to the Royals winter convention last year and bought a couple game used jerseys thinking they'd be great to wear, but they're way too long and I'm not going to tuck them, so I don't wear them.

Archived