Jersey Wearin' Protocol

hjwii

I'm 19, and only started buying jerseys a couple of years ago. I prefer to only buy jerseys of teams that I support. My fairly small collection currently consists of 4 Anaheim Mighty Ducks jerseys (a home, alternate, and two road jerseys, one of which was bought for me as a Christmas present and was too big), 2 Anaheim Ducks jerseys (a personalised old style home with a horribly inaccurate Captain's C, and an Edge road jersey), and 1 of my University's American Football team, the Anglia Ruskin Phantoms, who I once played for.

As much as I like them, I tend to not wear the Mighty Ducks jerseys out of the house very often, for obvious reasons (especially not the white one), although I wear my personalised Ducks jersey more often, usually only when it isn't warm outside. Both that and my Edge jersey are currently worn the most. Most of my jerseys are worn to games, or when a game is on TV, or when lounging around. My ARU Phantoms jersey is a piece of crap, so I haven't worn it since the last time I played for them.

As for being 'too old' to wear jerseys, I don't think it matters. It's more of a case of how comfortable you feel wearing them, and/or whether you feel like it.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny this topic comes up - I was just thinking about this the other day.

When I was in high school I would wear jerseys at least once or twice a week. It was a combo of my Alabama football jersey, Alabama basketball jerseys (both the new and old design), one of my three or four NBA jerseys, and one of my three NFL jerseys. Now that I'm in college, most of my sports related wear is t-shirts. The jersey selection has been scaled back to a couple of soccer jerseys and my App football jersey I wore to LSU. People told me that your clothing tastes will change in college depending on your major (for me its Accounting and Marketing), and I didn't believe them. Now I open my closet to Polo shirts...I guess they were right.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

21 years old, owner of about 125 jerseys.

I also find myself wearing jerseys slightly less, but I definitely still wear them. To class, it's a t-shirt, polo, or jersey. Out somewhere for the night, it's usually a polo or T. Hanging out with the guys, watching a game, or at my Wednesday informal fraternity meeting I'll usually wear a jersey. At the Wednesday meeting, it's kinda been a tradition for me to wear a jersey...I've had brothers ask me which one I'm going to wear that week, so I'll probably keep going with that.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I'm 26, I've got about 100 and I wear them to sporting events and around the house on weekends. I don't think I'd wear them out in public if I cared about my appearance, but if I'm just going to the grocery store I don't really care if I've got on an Everton shirt.

My favourite jersey-wearing moment was walking back home after a Knights game here in London with my friend - I wearing a vintage Canucks flying-V jersey (not reproduction, authentic vintage), he wearing Mooterus. Some random guy stopped us and was like, "Those are some SICK jerseys! That's AWESOME!"

PapelbonSpaceship.png

bannerlong.jpg

23 here, and I only have 3 jerseys, a mid-90's black Orioles baseball jersey, a Phoenix Coyotes blank back jersey, and a Chicago Bears Berrian jersey, all of which I got either at a rather nice discount, or for less than $20. I do hope to grow my collection more, but I hate spending more than $60 on a jersey. I do enjoy wearing them to class, as the jerseys have the unintended side effect of hiding the sweat from having a car that lacks an air-conditioner.

JerseySiggy.png

Signature Eternally Under Construction

Hearing how many jerseys some of you have, I am wondering: How much money do you think you've spent on jerseys?

Seeing the collections here I thought the same thing.

As for myself I never bought a jersey at full price. I think the average I've spent would be around 20-30 dollars per jersey. The most I've ever paid was 80 dollars for an Authentic LAA Road Jersey (the one that says Anaheim across the chest), and got the Garret Anderson name and number for free. I also have a game used Anaheim Angels (the old winged A style) for 30 bucks. I usually buy all my jerseys when they go on sale and I'm lucky because SDSU has a flea market every year where they sell game used jerseys cheap. One year I bought two football, basketball, and softball jerseys for around 40 bucks, and the lady running the sale threw in a game used football and practice jersey for free.

sig.jpg

Hearing how many jerseys some of you have, I am wondering: How much money do you think you've spent on jerseys?

Had the same thought myself. I feel like I earn a good living, and Uncle Sam seems to think I deserve to be in the top tax bracket, but mentally I can barely justify a single jersey a year. I actually average about a jersey and a half a year, and I have a total of about 20, counting that Habs throwback-style sweater I got as a souvenir from a visit to Montreal, a thrift-store "Farmers State" baseball jersey bought at Ragstock for about $5 in 1996, a Nats fashion jersey the team sent me gratis back in the day, and the various soccer jerseys I picked up while living overseas back when the dollar was strong and European merchandise was basically free to Americans. (And honestly, even that 20ish jerseys seems excessive to me when I think about it.)

Which is not to cast aspersions at anyone for how they dispose of their disposable income. It's just that for this uniform fan, discount jerseys take enough effort to track down, and non-discount jerseys cost so much, that a new jersey purchase is a pretty big deal.

Then again, perhaps my less-free-spending jersey ways have to do with the fact that I've already got three Twins jerseys, three Nats jerseys, two throwback Senators jerseys, a Cedar Rapids Kernels jersey, and a Wild sweater, so at this point jersey purchases are less about actual fan team support and more about liking the aesthetics of the jersey in the abstract, that it's a different kind of decision to get one. A Burlington Bees or Harrisburg Senators or State College Spikes or Portland Beavers jersey, to cite some personal favorite designs, are a lot harder for me to justify than any teams I would actively root for, and I already have good jerseys for most of the teams I cheer on.

20082614447.png

I'm 26, I've got about 100 and I wear them to sporting events and around the house on weekends. I don't think I'd wear them out in public if I cared about my appearance, but if I'm just going to the grocery store I don't really care if I've got on an Everton shirt.

My favourite jersey-wearing moment was walking back home after a Knights game here in London with my friend - I wearing a vintage Canucks flying-V jersey (not reproduction, authentic vintage), he wearing Mooterus. Some random guy stopped us and was like, "Those are some SICK jerseys! That's AWESOME!"

Man, all you needed was a guy wearing a Gorton's fisherman jersey, and another guy wearing a Wild Wing jersey, and you would have been set.

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

No. It's about the setting and the moxie of the wearer, not the age of the wearer.

Agree. I'm 34 and have about 50 jerseys and more then 100 hats. I still wear jerseys even at work - Astros rainbow, soccer shirts, while some are not for work, like basketball jerseys or Hawthorn Hawks jumper. But age doesn't matter if you wear it with style.

I'm 43. I wear caps all the time. As for jerseys. It depends. On game days, I'll throw on my Michigan or Lions jerseys, but usually only on a game day. I'll wear my Tigers jersey to games. I'll wear my Red Wing jersey, just about anytime. To me there is something casual about wearing a hockey jersey. During the winter time, it seems to be a no-brainer to throw it on.

Not much - Most of my jerseys come from thrift stores or second-hand/vintage clothing shops. There's one in Covent Garden, London that consistently has a ton of great stuff - last time I was there I got a game-issue Canadiens sweater, 2 pairs of 80's Chicago Bulls game shorts, a Sand-Knit Timberwolves blank jersey and a Winnipeg Jets jacket, all for £10-15 each. I also get a lot of cheap stuff off ebay - the only jerseys I've ever payed full price for were my Hornets jerseys.

About 6 years ago I started selling off a lot of my jerseys on ebay - I'd started collecting c. 1991 and had a huge collection of vintage stuff(100+ jerseys). I was able to sell each jersey for well over £100, and managed to put myself through uni with the profits... :D

I'm 38 and recently lost a lot of weight so now I can fit into jerseys, so I have gone nuts buying them. I try to wear them at appropriate times. I wore my gopher football jersey on gameday. I'll be wearing my Adrian Peterson jersey tonight. My pride and joy is a 2002 USA olympic jersey with Modano 9

minn.png

I think it depends on the location. If you're relaxing around the house, going to a game, it just happens to be a game day (such as NFL Sunday), going to the movies, or you're just running errands I see no problem with it. However, I have found that if I go around town, I've been choosing better fitting team t-shirts or polos over my jerseys lately. Maybe I am actually aging =b. I think where it's inappropriate are:

1. Wearing a jersey to the gym to workout in (unless you're playing basketball)

2. Wearing a jersey to work if everyone else usually wears nice clothing

3. Wearing a jersey on a date (yes I've seen this)

4. Wearing a jersey to go to the bars/clubs (obviously unless it's a sports bar)

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I don't wear jerseys, I'm 30-plus. Give me a crisp pair of jeans, nigga, button-ups.

The only time I ever wear a jersey anymore is either when I'm lounging at the house, playing a sport, or going to a sporting event. In the case of the latter, I generally prefer either a hoodie or a t-shirt, unless it's a baseball game (where I most likely will wear a Tigers jersey).

I'm 43 (almost 44) and I really can't do it. And I think there's 2 reasons for that:

1) The "wearability/comfort" factor. Most jerseys are made of mesh (basketball, football, hockey), and/or polyester, and have generously (i.e.: low) cut necks. Thus, it usually mandates wearing some type of other shirt underneath. I'm one of those people who don't wear the t-shirt under a dress shirt, polo shirt, etc., so wearing an undershirt tends to feel alien or weird to me to me (and down here in the South, very hot as well).

2) How they relate to pants. The whole "tucked-in, not tucked-in" thing bothers me. With jeans, it's not THAT big of a deal-- you leave it untucked, but tuck in your undershirt. But most of the time in a non-work situation, I'm wearing shorts. Untuck your jerseys and sometimes it's hard to tell if you're wearing pants at all (unless you're wearing those baggie, long board-type shorts, which as a 43 year old, I don't do, either).

Thus, the Tampa Bay Lightning jersey, Mike Alstott Bucs jersey, Tony Boselli Jags jersey, generic Atlanta Braves jersey, and autographed, game-worn auctioned-off New Orleans Zephyrs jersey sit in my closet, while I wear (and wear out) logo-ed polo/coaches shirts, t-shirts, and sweatshirts:

DADPOLO.JPGDADTSHIRT.JPGDADSWEAT.JPG

It is what it is.

My most expensive jersey is one I didn't pay for. It's an '82 Angels Reggie Jackson jersey. My girlfriend bought it for me as a birthday gift. It cost 99 bucks. None of the others cost over 25 bucks. I only buy the closeouts. The nice thing is that around here Buckeyes jerseys go from $75 to $19.99 as soon as the player graduates of leaves for the NFL. I was at Finish Line one time and the person waiting on me said the thought is that no one will buy a #11 jersey since Anthony Gonzalez isn't wearing it now. Same with a #7 Ted Ginn. I think that's pretty silly since those numbers circulate through players every few years but I'll still gladly take the deal.

My NFL jerseys are all closeout deals. I got a Jim Brown Reebok replica throwback for $9.99 at JC Penney. My entire collection of about 15-20 jerseys didn't cost more than 400 bucks total. That's over the last 5 years or so.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm 33, and within the last year or two, I've started wearing my jerseys less and less. Now, I still do wear them occasionally to work (I don't have any kind of dress code to worry about), and wear them less and less to games as well (I work in sports radio, therefore, games are kind of my work).

At this point, I'm down to three Cubs jerseys, and two hockey jerseys. Back in college, I probibly had upwards of 50 jerseys total. I now find myself buying my seven year old daughter jerseys (she likes different teams than I do, which makes it interesting)...

Moose

Archived