Striped Endzones

yoo

:cursing:

anybody else hate them,i get teams trying to go retro,but c'mon Green bay,while they did have lines there in the 60's,i'm pretty sure they didn't have a big ass logo at the 50

*i know the steelers do it until the Pitt Panthers season is over,well at least in one endzone.the other says pittsburgh,but not in the Steelers wordmark

yoo3.png

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

striped endzones : football :: paintless courts : basketball

At least the Indianapolis Colts will keep the dream alive.

Let's talk all endzones. What's with the Browns using Brush Script WordArt? It looks terrible. Match the wordmark, please. Don't they realize this?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

*i know the steelers do it until the Pitt Panthers season is over,well at least in one endzone.the other says pittsburgh,but not in the Steelers wordmark

I don't understand why they don't use Pittsburgh in both end zones (until Pitt is done and they could put Steelers in one).

I want some Piet Mondrian compositions in the endzones. It'd be quite stijlish.

Nice! I would prefer the work of Kandinsky, Klee, and Leger, but Mondrian would be cool.

Seriously, I like the striped end zones. I think some of the logos these days are too much. Though I much prefer the ones without the extra background color.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

I don't mind striped end zones for Notre Dame, the Packers, and the Steelers/Pitt- anyone else? They can pull it off as it's a classic look for those classic teams. I wouldn't want to see the Falcons, for example, going to striped end zones.

As for other unusual end zone designs, I like the checkerboard, but Tennessee owns that look so it's hard to see any other team adopt that look without thinking they're ripping off Tennessee. I know Fresno State has used it for awhile so I guess they own a small piece of that look.

I love argyle end zones. Does anyone use them these days? Missouri has used them recently, but I'm not sure if they have them now. That's an end zone design that needs to make a comeback.

Oh, I agree regarding the Browns. I would rather see the stripes rather than the crap they have now. Ever since they went "retro" with the uniforms, they used this TERRIBLE generic script. I guess it matches their TERRIBLE clip-art 3-D helmet logo. I think if they want to go retro, they should try to match this old word-mark show below. At least it would make sense. It reminds of of when the Jaguars used that generic wordmark in their endzones.

J A C K S O N V I L L E

browns46.jpg

One awesome aspect of the Saints first couple of seasons is that they actually did one Tulane Stadium end zone in Saints colors and the other in the opponents logo, as if it was there home field, kind of like the Super Bowl or a college bowl game.

Tough to see details but this is an aerial of their first game against the Rams in '67. Appears to be the Ram's head logo in their end zone and near the midfield logo, and that's the 'chin guy' (like my avatar) at midfield.

Auto108.jpg

Watch for the mid-field 'chin guy' in this video while you marvel at the beauty of those '67 Saints unis. Their original shade of gold on the helmets, jersey numbers and pants.

http://www.cdol.com/saints/gilliam.html

And yes, the Saints scored the first time they ever touched the ball in a regular-season game. It's been downhill from there. B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I understand why -- but does anyone else not like when end zone art doesn't extend all the way to the goal/side/end lines -- especially when it's a solid color?

This drives me crazy!! I personally love the Rose Bowl look where the endzone color extends past the sideline and becomes the trim color to the 35 yd line. I wish someone would go to this look full time. Even in this photo, though, it's evident that the entire endzone isn't colored in. There has to be a reason behind this.

rosebowl.jpg

The Texans had a solid blue endzone with white lettering for the first season, but have went to an non-colored endzone with White text, since. The reason was the paint was killing the grass, which is understandable. I don't see why real-turf fields couldn't use more paint.

houston_texans.jpg

reliantmainjs.jpg

Oh, I agree regarding the Browns. I would rather see the stripes rather than the crap they have now. Ever since they went "retro" with the uniforms, they used this TERRIBLE generic script. I guess it matches their TERRIBLE clip-art 3-D helmet logo. I think if they want to go retro, they should try to match this old word-mark show below. At least it would make sense. It reminds of of when the Jaguars used that generic wordmark in their endzones.

J A C K S O N V I L L E

browns46.jpg

Why don't the browns just have a solid orange endzone like their helmets?

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I understand why -- but does anyone else not like when end zone art doesn't extend all the way to the goal/side/end lines -- especially when it's a solid color?

The Patriots' endzones used to bother me for that reason. For a few games a couple of seasons ago, they tried putting the NFL Shield to one of the sides, and it looked awful. I think the reason was that the shield didn't line up vertically with the wordmark. For that reason, I've accepted it and will continue to do so unless they can dome up with a decent wordmark to replace the current one with.

On the striped endzones, I think they are better suited for teams with a retro look as others have mentioned. However, I would be a proponent of seeing a more diverse range of endzone types in general. The only thing I would like to see kept to a minimum would be solid colored painted backgrounds. I like seeing grass.

Still my favorite endzones were Arizona States a few years back when they had sparky really big and cropped...

I never saw that one, but I've long thought that large-cropped logos would look great in endzones.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

One awesome aspect of the Saints first couple of seasons is that they actually did one Tulane Stadium end zone in Saints colors and the other in the opponents logo, as if it was there home field, kind of like the Super Bowl or a college bowl game.

Tough to see details but this is an aerial of their first game against the Rams in '67. Appears to be the Ram's head logo in their end zone and near the midfield logo, and that's the 'chin guy' (like my avatar) at midfield.

Auto108.jpg

Watch for the mid-field 'chin guy' in this video while you marvel at the beauty of those '67 Saints unis. Their original shade of gold on the helmets, jersey numbers and pants.

http://www.cdol.com/saints/gilliam.html

And yes, the Saints scored the first time they ever touched the ball in a regular-season game. It's been downhill from there. B)

I liked when the Superdome would paint "Saints" in one endzone and "Tulane" in the other.

From what I have heard, one of the reasons why the end zones on FieldTurf fields aren't painted is because the paint itself makes the field slicker than normal, with it being synthetic grass. Most teams that use that surface are multi-purpose fields for both professional and college, except for Buffalo, Indianapolis, Dallas, and Baltimore. For example, when the Superdome hosts the Sugar Bowl, the paint scheme for the game isn't even close to the other BCS games for their end zones. Personally, IMHO, I'm disappointed that the Saints still use just their wordmark outlined in gold instead of the classic look they had in the 80's and 90's. I know that they can't have the colored, sewn-in versions that the teams mentioned above have (because of Tulane playing on the same field), but there has to be a way around this somehow...maybe even pre-stitched end zones to put down for Tulane and the Saints, and then when bowl season comes around and there is an idea of who's playing in what game, they can have the end zones made up for those games. At least it wouldn't make the Dome look like a high school field every time a team comes to play.

willieMcGee_2.jpg

If you inherit Randy Johnson's facial genes, he owes you $97,000 at the very least.

Archived