MLB Stars-and-Stripes Caps

BrySmalls

I think I heard on the Nats-Mets game that all teams playing tomorrow (9/11) will wear them. The Mets and Yankees, both of whom are off, have special dispensation to wear theirs today.

I guess the Yankees chose not to wear them today because it was regular caps for them this afternoon.

Good for the Yankees. Enough is enough.

Agreed. Does the NFL wear special helmets on December 7? Enough is enough. Bad stuff happens. It's right and proper to remember the victims of bad stuff, but there's a difference between a solemn remembrance and tacky marketing kitsch, and as 9-11 "tributes" these caps are waaaaaaaay across the line into inappropriate kitsch. Have a moment of silence if you must, or sing a patriotic song in the Seventh Inning Stretch. (No, not "God Bless America." I said a patriotic song. "The Battle Hymn of the Republic," say, or "The Battle Cry of Freedom.")

On the other hand, if the president ever delivers on his seven-year-old promise to "bring Bin Laden to justice, or bring justice to Bin Laden," then on that day MLB should break out the stars and stripes caps.

20082614447.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's bad enough that MLB feels the need to bring these hats back to milk another profit -- but if they are, could they at least limit the use of them to July 4th and September 11th only, and not water down their meaning by wearing them the entire freaking week??

Thank you.

6uXNWAo.png

Tacky. Pure tackiness. I guess it's a way for people to make money off of the death of innocent souls. It's day 1,961 since Bush declared, "Mission Accomplished" in Iraq.

I'm sorry, but your logic escapes me. MLB puts out a commemorative 9/11 cap to honor one of the most tragic events in American history and you argue that it's tacky because "it's a way for people to make money off the death of innocent souls." How so? How is it any different from companies who mass produce "United We Stand" bumper stickers, mini-American flags, and yellow ribbons? Are those articles of honor tacky as well? And yet, to its credit, MLB actually takes it one step further by clearly stating that some of the proceeds go to veterans' charities, an indication that some good is being accomplished through the sale of these caps.

And I don't quite understand the use of the tired Keith Olbermann Iraq War quote with 9/11. Many would argue that they are two entirely separate events.

Tacky. Pure tackiness. I guess it's a way for people to make money off of the death of innocent souls. It's day 1,961 since Bush declared, "Mission Accomplished" in Iraq.

I'm sorry, but your logic escapes me. MLB puts out a commemorative 9/11 cap to honor one of the most tragic events in American history and you argue that it's tacky because "it's a way for people to make money off the death of innocent souls." How so? How is it any different from companies who mass produce "United We Stand" bumper stickers, mini-American flags, and yellow ribbons? Are those articles of honor tacky as well? And yet, to its credit, MLB actually takes it one step further by clearly stating that some of the proceeds go to veterans' charities, an indication that some good is being accomplished through the sale of these caps.

And I don't quite understand the use of the tired Keith Olbermann Iraq War quote with 9/11. Many would argue that they are two entirely separate events.

Some of the proceeds? I'd be more impressed if all of the proceeds went to charities. Otherwise, it's a marketing ploy.

Furthermore, the cap designs distort the flag and you're not supposed to do that, according to the flag code.

I'm sorry, but your logic escapes me. MLB puts out a commemorative 9/11 cap to honor one of the most tragic events in American history and you argue that it's tacky because "it's a way for people to make money off the death of innocent souls." How so? How is it any different from companies who mass produce "United We Stand" bumper stickers, mini-American flags, and yellow ribbons? Are those articles of honor tacky as well?

YES.

Tacky, and shameful to boot. All of it.

And yet, to its credit, MLB actually takes it one step further by clearly stating that some of the proceeds go to veterans' charities, an indication that some good is being accomplished through the sale of these caps.

"Some" good. "Some" proceeds. Notice they won't say how much, which is an indication that the amount is appallingly low.

MLB puts out a commemorative 9/11 cap to honor one of the most tragic events in American history and you argue that it's tacky because "it's a way for people to make money off the death of innocent souls." How so? How is it any different from companies who mass produce "United We Stand" bumper stickers, mini-American flags, and yellow ribbons? Are those articles of honor tacky as well?

Very.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I didnt think it was possible to make the athletics black alternates look worse, I was wrong

5006e786-9f96-4b39-b493-a516360f58f7.jpg

That's why I don't like them. The teams with black look horrible in them. The one exception might be the Jays. I somewhat like the light navy hat with the home jersey.

Archived