"Knights" Logo Concept

FlyersHockey1967

I was bored during one class earlier today and decided to doodle a very quick sketch in the margin of a piece of lined paper. Very quick, very small. Just a few hours ago, I looked at it and thought that it wasn't bad for a quick something-something, so I wanted to make a real logo out of it.

Simplicity was the main thing here. This is just a concept logo that I crafted for use on a hockey jersey. I thought "hockey," then I thought "honor" and "chivalry," so what better to represent that than a knight? For this design, I wanted to have that "forward motion" look off to one direction. I've always loved the 2d-profile logo of the Ottawa Senators, as it works pretty well for that "helmeted-warrior" look. I also wanted a flowing cape to help convey that motion, and stuck the sword in there for the "aggressive" look. The helmet I think I based off of something from my childhood Digimon-watching days, while I think the sword is inspired by someone's from the Lord Of The Rings films. That triangle-like thing underneath the helmet is meant to be some kind of chest plate and to help separate the helmet and arm.

The toughest part was designing a cape that flowed and looked good. The part I hate most is having to draw that one line downwards to separate the cape and the actual knight himself, since it would be realistic to assume that more than one color would be used, and it needs that separation. I'm thinking that I could possibly move the sword closer towards the knight instead and use that as the separating line, but the angle it would be at wouldn't look as "sleek" as it is now.

So here it is. Comments and criticisms welcome. I'm not sure if it will ever be used for real, but I would love to know what you think about a quick doodle-turned concept.

scan0015da5.jpg

The shield to the left would be a secondary logo, mainly for shoulder patch or something. The one below and to the right is an alternate, front-view, which is mostly inspired from some kind of Mega Man Battle Network villain (waits for crown of lamb jokes to pop up). The one in the center is the main primary.

Please be aware that I am not well-versed in logos of sports other than hockey, so if this infringes on any existing logo, I would greatly appreciate it if someone were to bring that to my attention. Thanks!

Gold, black, and silver, eh? I was thinking more along the lines of silver armor with red cape and little "hood ornament" on the helmet. But I guess that's kinda cliche, isn't it?

I don't know if black would work on a knight, and I'm not a big fan of it as a primary color. Gold, maybe, depends on the shade.

I might try to color in some copies of the design and see how they look. Thanks for the ideas.

Also, I think I'll try making the actual helmet itself extend further outwards and bring the chest plate in to help make the differentiation.

Have you seen the St. Louis Soccer United (potential MLS expansion) logo?

StLouisUnitedCrest.jpg

Wow, that is eerily similar to another alternate concept I did on the same page.

scan0018gc4.jpg

Speaking of which, here's a different take on the alternate logo.

scan0017js3.jpg

Debating whether to keep the hand grabbing out like that or replace it with the shield instead. Also, I hope it doesn't look too much like the Army football logo with the sword going off to one side like that.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while and I've made up one of those logo sheets with "primary" "secondary" "alternate" "wordmark" thing like you'd see on more professional logo concepts. But now I've found that there's something about the alternate logo being so wide just because of the sword going off to the side that I don't like as much anymore. So I've tried two different takes on it.

The first one on the left is a frontal view, but the arm with the sword is now behind the body as if it were about to thrust it forward. The cape is flying backwards to create a sort of "triangle" with the two edges at the top and the one edge at the bottom. Think "Mighty Ducks."

Both are the same concept as the original alternate: A 3d view of the knight with the cape flowing out, the sword being held in one direction, and the open hand grabbing at the foreground. The second on the right is a bit of a rotated view from the front, hence the different shape to the helmet. Instead of holding it out or forward, it's just holding the sword upwards sorta like the primary logo, so it's more of a true 3d version.

scan0020ak3.jpg

Apologies for how faint the lines are; it was a quick doodle from this morning. I'll post that "logo sheet" later.

when do you plan on actually posting a more finalized version of this logo that isnt a sketch? if you ever do, it would be nice to see how it all turns eventually

Closest thing to a final version is this logo sheet I drew up:

scan00212zm9.jpg

Again, something bout the alternate is bugging me. Don't like how wide it is just because of one element (the sword). Going to work on making another take on it.

Still thinking about jersey designs. Might do a white Canadiens idea for the alternate, and for the primaries, a striping design that slants down from the sides to form a point at or near the hem, and do the same for the arms, with the secondary shield logo as a shoulder patch on the right side.

when do you plan on actually posting a more finalized version of this logo that isnt a sketch? if you ever do, it would be nice to see how it all turns eventually

Closest thing to a final version is this logo sheet I drew up:

scan00212zm9.jpg

Again, something bout the alternate is bugging me. Don't like how wide it is just because of one element (the sword). Going to work on making another take on it.

Still thinking about jersey designs. Might do a white Canadiens idea for the alternate, and for the primaries, a striping design that slants down from the sides to form a point at or near the hem, and do the same for the arms, with the secondary shield logo as a shoulder patch on the right side.

He doesn't have a head. No wonder it looks like he's swinging the sword around in an erratic fashion.

The primary has alot of potential and I think it's a strong base. The body portion needs to be tweaked though. I struggle a little bit seeing what's supposed to be the helmet and what is supposed to be the arm/shoulder. I do like the sword angle and tattered cape.

The secondary is good as well, if a little cliche. Nothing wrong with that.

I think you need to scrap the alternate. The knight looks like he's going to cast a fireball with his left hand and his just holding his right arm outward for the heck of it. It's incredibly distracting. If anything make the alternate a tertiary and have it just the helmet portion so that the secondary and tertiary logos draw from specific elements from the primary logo.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Updated logo sheet with new alternate.

scan0022copyzx0.jpg

Ideas for jerseys.

scan0023kk6.jpg

I think I might replace the left hand with the shield from the secondary.

The primary has alot of potential and I think it's a strong base. The body portion needs to be tweaked though. I struggle a little bit seeing what's supposed to be the helmet and what is supposed to be the arm/shoulder. I do like the sword angle and tattered cape.

I wanted to try something different with an emphasis on simplicity. You know, something you could doodle in the margins of a notebook, which is how I came up with this. So I simplified the whole "head-helmet-shoulder-arm" area with some bold lines, which might have been a little too much, I'll agree. But I'm not sure how to make that differentiation without making it any more complex than it has to be, and I don't know if it will help in the end. However, I'd be willing to hear any suggestions you might have for doing that. And thanks for your constructive criticism.

• 3 weeks later...
It's been a while and I've made up one of those logo sheets with "primary" "secondary" "alternate" "wordmark" thing like you'd see on more professional logo concepts. But now I've found that there's something about the alternate logo being so wide just because of the sword going off to the side that I don't like as much anymore. So I've tried two different takes on it.

The first one on the left is a frontal view, but the arm with the sword is now behind the body as if it were about to thrust it forward. The cape is flying backwards to create a sort of "triangle" with the two edges at the top and the one edge at the bottom. Think "Mighty Ducks."

Both are the same concept as the original alternate: A 3d view of the knight with the cape flowing out, the sword being held in one direction, and the open hand grabbing at the foreground. The second on the right is a bit of a rotated view from the front, hence the different shape to the helmet. Instead of holding it out or forward, it's just holding the sword upwards sorta like the primary logo, so it's more of a true 3d version.

scan0020ak3.jpg

Apologies for how faint the lines are; it was a quick doodle from this morning. I'll post that "logo sheet" later.

I like the one on the left. It has a cool view of the knight with the sword pointing at the viewer. Are you going to create a vectorized version of this soon?

Archived