Kansas

southpawstu19

I hate how Ohio State is always "THE Ohio State University" (tOSU). Penn State teams don't go off saying "THE Penn State University" or "THE University of Southern Cal"

How many Ohio States are there?

On all official/formal documents, we are "The Pennsylvania State University". That is the name of the institution. "Penn State" is just a colloquialism.

Beaver_Stadium_suites_with_years.jpg

I'm an alum of Northeastern University in Boston.

We refer to ourselves as "NU" - so whenver I wear gear with our logo (a black and red N) I often get:

1. When did you graduate from Nebraska?

2. I thought Northwestern's Colors are Purple and White

3. Isn't Northern Illiniois "NIU"

We won't refer to ourselves as NE (since Northeastern is one word and NE is the postal abbreviation for Nebraska). No one likes NEU since the school's name is Northeastern, not North Eastern.

I try to tell people that The University of Nebraska should be U of N, but no one listens.

Not only do we have a common abbreviation, we have a common nickname (huskies), so we suffer from a big time logo/branding identity crisis!!!

Yeah like someone else said

Here in California we have one that I have an objection about in the UC system and that is University of California - Berkeley aka UC-Berkeley or more commonly referred to as Cal... who died and gave Berkley the whole state to themselves anyways as opposed to UCLA, UCI, UCSD, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UCSF, UCSB, or UC Santa Cruz) The rest of the UC's go by their full name or the appropriate and obvious abbreviation

The Cal State system is different. Some use Cal State officially and then go by the State name others are officialy the state name

California State University Bakersfield

California State University Channel Islands

California State University Chico (never actually called that... referred to as Chico State)

California State University Dominguez Hills

California State University East Bay

California State University Fresno (referred to as Fresno State)

California State University Fullerton

Humboldt State University

California State University Long Beach (referred to as Long Beach State)

California State University Los Angeles

California Maritime Academy

California State University Monterey Bay

California State University Northridge

California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (One of 2 Cal Polys... referred to as Caly Poly Pomona)

California State University Sacramento (referred to as Sacramento State)

California State University San Bernardino (referred to as San Bernadino State)

San Diego State University

San Francisco State University

San Jose State University

California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo (This is the main Cal Poly and is usually just called Cal Poly or to differentiate Cal Poly SLO (pronounced "Slow")

California State University San Marcos

Sonoma State University (usually referred to as just Sonoma)

California State University Stanislaus

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Rutgers, THE State University of New Jersey

what I don't understand is

WVU

and

IU

why can't they be called

The University of West Virginia

and

The University of Indiana?

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

WVU

and

IU

why can't they be called

and

Because those universities are actually known as "West Virginia University" and "Indiana University."

West Virginia Universtiy Home Page

Indiana University Home Page

Or are you asking why they are not called "The University of West Virginia" and/or "The University of Indiana"? If that is your question, I can't help.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

WVU

and

IU

why can't they be called

and

Because those universities are actually known as "West Virginia University" and "Indiana University."

West Virginia Universtiy Home Page

Indiana University Home Page

Or are you asking why they are not called "The University of West Virginia" and/or "The University of Indiana"? If that is your question, I can't help.

Yes, that was what I was asking. Sorry I wasn't more clear. I knew their official names, but I was too lazy to spell them out twice.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

well - a still bitter buckeye chiming in here - from the FAQ of The Ohio State University Library's website....

{Why are we called ""THE" Ohio State University"?

In 1986, a new University logo was introduced in the hopes of moving away from the "OSU" symbol, which had been used since 1977. The change from simply "OSU" was said to "reflect the national stature of the institution." University officials wanted the institution to be known as "The Ohio State University," again, since OSU could also mean Oregon State and Oklahoma State University.

However, the "The" was actually part of the state legislation when the university was renamed in 1878. The following excerpt is from the Board of Trustee minutes:

"...the educational institution heretofore known as the 'Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College,' shall be known and designated hereafter as 'The Ohio State University.'"

Those who wanted the name change thought the original name was too narrow in scope, and that it was inadequate for the institution that was the only beneficiary of the land grant act. President Edward Orton was insistent that a new name would separate the institution from other colleges in Ohio.

Legend also has it that "The" was used to show the other colleges which institution was supposed to be the leader in the state - both in size and in financial support from the legislature.}

Archived