NFL alternate jerseys

Delux247

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also a note on the Bucs. I read their Wikipedia page recently, and it says they actually have the black jersey/pewter pants combo listed as their official alternate, but it hasn't ever been worn. I don't know how true that actually is (given that it's Wikipedia), but if it is in fact true, I'd really like to see them wear it soon.

Not true as far as I know, although black jerseys are sold in stores.

Alternate Jerseys began in 2002. Heres a list of everyone...

Panthers- Carolina blue alternate, but they tend to wear white so much at home that the black jersey and blue jersey appear around the same amount.

the blue alts get worn 3 times a year, 1 preseason, 1 home, 1 away. the home colors vary by the season. in (hot) late summer whites are worn, in (cool) early winter the blacks are the home jerseys.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

Also a note on the Bucs. I read their Wikipedia page recently, and it says they actually have the black jersey/pewter pants combo listed as their official alternate, but it hasn't ever been worn. I don't know how true that actually is (given that it's Wikipedia), but if it is in fact true, I'd really like to see them wear it soon.

Black Buccaneers jerseys aren't official; they're just fashion jerseys. Wikipedia is incorrect.

- Patriots silver

I haven't seen those atrocities in quite a while -- and it needs to stay that way!

I will never understand why the Pats chose to have those dingy looking silver jerseys over some stellar red alternates. :wacko:

It's sometimes difficult to see the silver on the Pats' secondary. I swear everytime I see highlights of Pats' games in light jerseys they are silver. Granted they are wearing a Throwback this year so no Silver, but still the look IMO is not noticeable.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Black Buccaneers jerseys aren't official; they're just fashion jerseys. Wikipedia is incorrect.

And my edits to point that out keep getting corrected by people who don't understand the distinction.

Your site is a legit resource - if you could post even descriptions of the style guide sheets, we could end that Wiki nonsense.

Alternate Jerseys began in 2002. Heres a list of everyone.

Browns- they wore an orange jersey starting in 2002, but have not worn it in a while.

Steelers- they wore a throwback style jersey last year.

Raiders- have not worn a throwback.

Jets- no alternate jersey

Eagles- black alternate jersey, but they have not worn them in a few years

Lions- black alternate

Saints- wore a gold jersey on the road vs. a Purple clad Vikings team in 2002. Only game ive see with two teams wearing colors. Very strange...ANYONE REMEMBER THAT?

Bucs- none

well, I got a few corrections and additions to make, so here I go:

Browns-the orange jerseys were dropped a couple years ago, now they use throwbacks that are usually barely different from the current unis.

Steelers-...and rumor had it that in 02, the Steelers had considered introducing a gold jersey to be worn for road games when they'd ordinarily be forced to wear black. upon being informed that they wouldn't be allowed to do so that year, they scrapped the idea and haven't brought it up since, even though the rule was altered the very next season.

Raiders-...last time they threw back was 94, when they wore the original Raider shield and white jerseys with silver numbers trimmed in black

Jets-...but they did wear a NY Titans throwback last year.

Eagles-funny, I didn't know one year qualified as a couple. in any event, I believe the blacks will be back this year.

Lions-for this season only, the alternate will be the 1957-era uniform

Saints-actually, that was a home game. the week before that, they wore 1967 throwbacks against the Bucs, which evidently got them in a little hot water with Tags & co. IIRC they weren't allowed to use thirds/throwbacks in 03, and haven't worn the golds since. they could now, they've chosen not to.

Bucs-IIRC they'd attempted to adopt a pewter jersey a few years back. The league's response was something to the effect that they'd be tough to see on TV, thus no all-pewter.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

- Patriots silver

I haven't seen those atrocities in quite a while -- and it needs to stay that way!

I will never understand why the Pats chose to have those dingy looking silver jerseys over some stellar red alternates. :wacko:

I thought there was a red alt on its way? Is that supposed to be for next season. I remember hearing something about it last year.

I've heard nothing about a red Patriots alt, but here's a photoshop job (props to whoever did this) of what should have been...

37760zc.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

- Patriots silver

I thought there was a red alt on its way? Is that supposed to be for next season. I remember hearing something about it last year.

I've heard nothing about a red Patriots alt, but here's a photoshop job (props to whoever did this) of what should have been...

37760zc.jpg

Reminds me of the Chicago Blitz from the USFL!

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

And if anybody's interested in helping correct this, I'm trying to get a consensus that the fashion jerseys for the Rams, Chiefs and Bucs not be listed as alternate jerseys. Join the discussion here, here, and here.

Does every team website have that section? I remember the texans did, but I don't know if the others have it or not.

mine does :)

http://www.panthers.com/Common/Article.aspx?id=35690

If I lived in Charlotte I'd be mad. The best jersey in the entire NFL never gets worn for their home team this year.

Though I disagree with it being the best jersey in the NFL...I do agree, I haven't heard of anything like that since NHL teams used to wear alts on the road only.

What about the Cowboys?

usajohnson.gif

98% of people claim to have "brought sexy back." Well, I'm the 2% that never left.

Hometown Heroes

Dallas Stars- Brenden Morrow // Marty Turco // Loui Erikkson

Dallas Mavericks- Dirk Nowitzki // Jason Kidd // Jason Terry

Dallas Cowboys- Terrell Owens // DeMarcus Ware // Terence Newman // Felix Jones

Texas Rangers- Ian Kinsler // Elvis Andrus // Marlon Byrd

Archived