NY Dragons to unveil new logo

reppact

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's the helmet logo:

nydr-helmet.jpg

I was prepared to hate this change, because I loved the old Dragons' logo. I have 3 caps bearing the old logo, in one form or another.

And, after seeing the new logo I still don't like some aspects of it -- the new dragon is much less striking than the old one; and the new wordmark is a huge downgrade from the old one. The colours also feel strange after years of red, yellow, and black (but I imagine I'll eventually get used to them).

However, if this "NY" is the helmet logo, I have to say I like this part of the change. I really love a letter-based helmet logo! (Even though it certainly was not necessary for the Dragons to make this overall change just to get a letter-based helmet logo; they could easily have made a fine "NY" out of the typeface used for the old wordmark.)

Having a letter-based logo appears to be a nice little trend in the AFL, as more than half the league's 17 teams now have helmet insignias based on letters. With this change, the Dragons join Arizona, Colorado, Chicago (which uses an "R" for the nickname "Rush"), Cleveland, Columbus ("CD" for "Columbus Destroyers"), Georgia ("GF" for "Georgia Force"), LA, Orlando ("P" for "Predators"), and Utah (highly-stylised "B" for "Blaze") in this group.

I'd love to see San Jose join this letter-logo group by switching its helmet and shoulder logos -- I say that that team should move the "SJ" logo it wears on the shoulders onto the helmet, and put the cat-head that currently adorns the helmet onto the shoulders.

At any rate, perhaps there is some new overall trend in favour of letter-based logos as opposed to graphically-based ones, and perhaps this trend is finding expression in logos such as this new Dragons logo and that of the Oklahoma City Railhawks. If so, then I am in favour if it.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Here's the helmet logo:

nydr-helmet.jpg

I was prepared to hate this change, because I loved the old Dragons' logo. I have 3 caps bearing the old logo, in one form or another.

And, after seeing the new logo I still don't like some aspects of it -- the new dragon is much less striking than the old one; and the new wordmark is a huge downgrade from the old one. The colours also feel strange after years of red, yellow, and black (but I imagine I'll eventually get used to them).

However, if this "NY" is the helmet logo, I have to say I like this part of the change. I really love a letter-based helmet logo! (Even though it certainly was not necessary for the Dragons to make this overall change just to get a letter-based helmet logo; they could easily have made a fine "NY" out of the typeface used for the old wordmark.)

Having a letter-based logo appears to be a nice little trend in the AFL, as almost half the league's 17 teams now have helmet insignias based on letters. With this change, the Dragons join Arizona, Colorado, Chicago (which uses an "R" for the nickname "Rush"), Cleveland, Columbus ("CD" for "Columbus Destroyers"), Georgia ("GF" for "Georgia Force"), LA, and Orlando ("P" for "Predators") in this group.

I'd love to see San Jose join this letter-logo group by switching its helmet and shoulder logos -- I say that that team should move the "SJ" logo it wears on the shoulders onto the helmet, and put the cat-head that currently adorns the helmet onto the shoulders.

At any rate, perhaps there is some new overall trend in favour of letter-based logos as opposed to graphically-based ones, and perhaps this trend is finding expression in logos such as this new Dragons logo and that of the Oklahoma City Railhawks. If so, then I am in favour if it.

NO WAY

LETTERS ARE FOR BASEBALL

LOGOS ARE FOR FOOTBALL

THE SABERCATS HELMETS IS ONE OF THE TOP HELMETS AROUND

Here's the helmet logo:

nydr-helmet.jpg

Having a letter-based logo appears to be a nice little trend in the AFL, as almost half the league's 17 teams now have helmet insignias based on letters. With this change, the Dragons join Arizona, Colorado, Chicago (which uses an "R" for the nickname "Rush"), Cleveland, Columbus ("CD" for "Columbus Destroyers"), Georgia ("GF" for "Georgia Force"), LA, and Orlando ("P" for "Predators") in this group.

NO WAY

LETTERS ARE FOR BASEBALL

LOGOS ARE FOR FOOTBALL

THE SABERCATS HELMETS HAS ONE OF THE GAUDIEST HELMETS AROUND

I'll have to disagree with you there. One of the ugliest helmets. The logo is too big, if they toned it down a bit, than maybe

Here's the helmet logo:

nydr-helmet.jpg

NO WAY

LETTERS ARE FOR BASEBALL

LOGOS ARE FOR FOOTBALL

THE SABERCATS HELMETS HAS ONE OF THE GAUDIEST HELMETS AROUND

I'll have to disagree with you there. One of the ugliest helmets. The logo is too big, if they toned it down a bit, than maybe

I CREATED THE LOGO FOR MY FORMER HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL TEAM

THE "LIONS"

AND I TRIED THAT SAME STYLE

BUT ...

THEY ENDED UP GOING WITH A REGULAR SIZE LION LOGO THAT I DREW INSTEAD

I really like this. I never really liked the old logo, it looked outdated (IMO).

This is nice, new, and fresh. I also really like the colors. Good job dragons.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I really do like the logo. Dragons are supposed to the green, so it was a good call on going that route. Huge upgrade!

As for the helmet, all I'm seeing is the red X on Geoff's link -- guess I won't be giving my valued opinion on it. :P

6uXNWAo.png

I really do like the logo. Dragons are supposed to the green, so it was a good call on going that route. Huge upgrade!

As for the helmet, all I'm seeing is the red X on Geoff's link -- guess I won't be giving my valued opinion on it. :P

How about this?

nydr-helmet.jpg

It's where I sit.

How about this?

nydr-helmet.jpg

I still can't see the helmet logo.

EDIT: But I did find it on my own.

How about this?

nydr-helmet.jpg

EDIT: But I did find it on my own.

Try clicking here.

How about this?

nydr-helmet.jpg

Yeah, the pic still wouldn't upload for me on here, but the link was correct...

nydr-helmet.jpg

Anyways, the helmet logo is a total success. Nice work, New York!

6uXNWAo.png

Lots of different opinions on this. I think much of it goes back to what you thought of the original Dragons logo. I always kinda liked it, thought it was a different take on a Dragons logo. Had a unique feel, etc. But with that said, after years of seeing it in action I kinda thought it grew stale after awhile. Specifically the black uniforms. I'm guessing those aren't going away though.

Side note, on the subject of the SaberCats. I too used to hate their helmet, too big, too busy just too much. But after years of being an AFL fan I've grown to appreciate it. Not that I like it actually, but it is just so much stuff, so detailed, just so ahh!, I've grown to appreciate its place among the helmets in the league. Plus SJ fans seem to love it. They are still mad they took the sun off the side of sleeves.

Back on the Dragons though, this means one awesome thing though. No more bright orange endzones!

How about this?

nydr-helmet.jpg

Yeah, the pic still wouldn't upload for me on here, but the link was correct...

nydr-helmet.jpg

Anyways, the helmet logo is a total success. Nice work, New York!

I love it but it seems very New Jersey Devilish to me.

Archived