New World's Tallest Building

the_cynic

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all a matter of primary function, intended design and how much space is dedicated to offices/living quarters, etc.

The CN tower (and the others that Chris named) are primarily used for non-office and non-residential, and were not designed to be office "buildings". Regardless of what you call it, it's certainly impressive. I've seen it up close a few times, but the most impressive view is from Lewiston, NY, where on a clear day, you can see the tower all the way across Lake Ontario.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I've been to the CN Tower as well--that's quite the ride up. The only problem I had was the view--it was of Toronto! :D:P:flagcanada:

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

For you ICS... Jeff Garcia attending a wrestling match in Calgary,

99apr_garcia.jpg

Ah STampede Wrestling--I'm not a wrestling fan--but what the shirt says was true-while Stampede Wrestling existed. It was syndicated all over the world--and was reportedly Idi Amin's favorite TV show--they declined an invitation from Amin to do a show in Uganda.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I've been to the CN Tower as well--that's quite the ride up. The only problem I had was the view--it was of Toronto! :D:P:flagcanada:

Quiet you, I've been up your 'tower' as well, when the elevator stopped I asked "is that it?" ;)

I walk past that tower everyday in the Summer (my walk to work takes me through the Air Canada Centre, past the CN Tower, and into the SkyDome... that road is always packed with tourists on weekends)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

It takes the same time to ride the elevator up each Tower--and from the Calgary Tower you see a beautiful city, prairies, and the Rocky Mountains.

(But yeah I was kidding about TO---there's no way I could insult TO like someone from Hamilton, and as I've been to Hamilton as well, I've heard it first hand.)

Tallest structures in the world

KTHI TV-tower

Fargo (ND) 629 m (2063 ft.) Tv-tower

KXJB-tower

Galesberg (ND) 628 m (2060 ft.) Tv-tower

KZFX TV-tower

Lake Jackson (TX) 615 m (2018 ft.) Tv-tower

WITN-tower

Grifton (NC) 610 m (2000 ft.) Tv-tower

KATV-tower

Jefferson County (AR) 610 m (2000 ft.) Tv-tower

Unknown

Devers (TX) 607 m (1992 ft.) Tv-tower

Senior Road FM Site

Houston (TX) 603 m (1977 ft.) Tv-tower

WFMY TV-Tower

Greensboro (NC) 583 m (1912 ft.) Tv-tower

Coweta TV-Tower

Coweta (OK) 582 m (1909 ft.) Tv-tower

CN Tower Toronto 554 m (1816 ft.)

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

i'm an american and i prefer the metric system...it actually makes sense to divide units of measure into 10s, 100s, 1000s, etc......the standard we use for weights and measures is archaic and shows how stupid our people are, when the majority can't figure out the metric system.

I wish to reply to the two separate topics going on in this thread. Do I need to use two posts?

1. Metric makes more sence, sure. Based on tens. Inches, feet, miles... all based on the king's actual foot size, then just made some random distance. BUT, until we start at one point, and just start teaching kids in school ALL about the metric system, and only use it with them, and every grade behind them, it will never catch on. I hate the damn metric system, but only because of NO familiarity. I live 37 miles from my work. Is that 100 kilometers? is it 6? I havent the foggiest. (nor do i care, please don't answer me) I bought 2x4s and 6x6s to build the deck on my house. Did I buy 8x12cm lumber? Beats the hell outta me. I want a beer to be about 12oz. I don't even know what the unit for that is in metrics. Should we change? Sure we should. Will we? I doubt it.

2. Tall buildings? I LOVE tall buildings. But the most extreme is the Ultima tower. If you really like extreme engineering, check this out..

http://www.tdrinc.com/ultima.html

Super great read. TWO MILE HIGH building.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

The tall building i was referring to is being built in the Australian Outback, and is 1000m tall (something like 3400 feet). It has no official name yet, but it is a 'Solar Tower'

story.powertower.jpg

To find out more about this "Solar Tower" check out http://www.enviromission.com.au/

As for the Ultima Tower, how do you think would finance it? You can start with Bill Gates, and Warren Buffett!

I saw, I came, I left.

My favourite skyscraper would have to be the Renissance Center in Detroit.  Although the one in Shanghai is looking mighty beautiful.

I can see why you like the Marriott Renaissance Center. It's a very nice building.

marriott_renaissance_center-1.jpg

A couple of nights ago on the CBC there was a story on something NASA is developing. Something called the Space Elevator. It would literally stretch into outer space. The material would be elongated strands of Carbon. The shuttles will be given their thrust at the top.

Do they alright have plans to build this "space elevator"?

The tall building i was referring to is being built in the Australian Outback, and is 1000m tall (something like 3400 feet). It has no official name yet, but it is a 'Solar Tower'

I had no idea. What's your biggest architectural reference?

The Petronius Compliant Tower is all under water except for the top part of it...

That's still amazing though. I think it adds more of a shock value to the tower since most of it is underwater.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Bump

Perhaps one of the greatest buildings to come is the Shanghai World Financial Center (491.9m - 1614 ft). Can you imagine standing on that 50m (164 ft.) long observation deck with the wind blowing on your face? Burr, it gives me the chills just thinking about it. And that's not mentioning the fear of acrophobia you would get when looking over that deck.

shanghai_world_financial_center-1.jpgshanghai_world_financial_center-2.jpg

shanghai_world_financial_center-3.jpg

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Archived