Now That Matt Millen Is Gone

njb513

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's correct. The black needs to leave immediately.

Anybody else notice that the 49ers and Lions both added black when Steve Mariucci was coaching them?

The Niners have had black as a color since 1962, and the uniforms included black before Mariucci became head coach.

I know Frisco's logo has always had black in it, but I think you're mistaken about the black in the uniforms.

No, I'm not. The current uniform design was introduced the year before Mariucci became HC. The first uniform to have black was from 1955.

quantum is right. 1996 was the intro of the black, Seifert's last year as HC. Shocking, I had no idea the black has been around for so long now.

Actually, the Niners had black in their unis that they wore in Superbowl XXIX against the Chargers. That game was played in January 1995, so that would mean they had the black in their unis Fall of '94 at the latest. Those were the unis with the white pants with the center black stripe, and the ugly black drop shadows on the numbers. A definite downgrade in between their 80s unis and their current set.

Yeah, but that was technically a "throwback". Every team was wearing special uniforms that season (75th annivesary of the NFL, i think) - so really, those are outside the canon of standard uniforms.

This is my crack at it using a 'gunmetal' color as proposed!

NFL2009JerseyConcept-DetroitLions.png

Better than what they currently have, but not better than what they had before what they currently have.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

long as we're talking about the Lions, can anybody tell me whether the helmet and pants stripes are still mismatched? because it seems the blue on the Lions' helmets is considerably darker than the shade used for the rest of the uniform, hence I can't tell.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

This is my crack at it using a 'gunmetal' color as proposed!

NFL2009JerseyConcept-DetroitLions.png

The outline on the home jerseys should go (from outside to inside) silver/gunmetal/white.

Gunmetal (like the current black) should only be used to make contrast between the silver and white. Otherwise you have a 99.999999% perfect concept here.

That's correct. The black needs to leave immediately.

Anybody else notice that the 49ers and Lions both added black when Steve Mariucci was coaching them?

The Niners have had black as a color since 1962, and the uniforms included black before Mariucci became head coach.

I know Frisco's logo has always had black in it, but I think you're mistaken about the black in the uniforms.

No, I'm not. The current uniform design was introduced the year before Mariucci became HC. The first uniform to have black was from 1955.

quantum is right. 1996 was the intro of the black, Seifert's last year as HC. Shocking, I had no idea the black has been around for so long now.

Actually, the Niners had black in their unis that they wore in Superbowl XXIX against the Chargers. That game was played in January 1995, so that would mean they had the black in their unis Fall of '94 at the latest. Those were the unis with the white pants with the center black stripe, and the ugly black drop shadows on the numbers. A definite downgrade in between their 80s unis and their current set.

Yeah, but that was technically a "throwback". Every team was wearing special uniforms that season (75th annivesary of the NFL, i think) - so really, those are outside the canon of standard uniforms.

Ah, I had totally forgotten about all those throwbacks that year. My mistake.

As far as "darkening" the Silver goes, there is a limitation as to what is feasible when you're dealing with metallic colors. Fabrics? Sure - there are a lot to choose from, but there are only so many metallics. And, there is a limitation as to what is practical for reproduction - not all metallics can easily be reproduced in CMYK and be matched in fabrics and in thread colors.

Yes I know my Saints suffer from that same disease! In all this modern world of technology you'd think they would at least try a little harder to match the damn golds.

The outline on the home jerseys should go (from outside to inside) silver/gunmetal/white.

Gunmetal (like the current black) should only be used to make contrast between the silver and white. Otherwise you have a 99.999999% perfect concept here.

I had it like that originally but I didn't want it to look like the Cowboys as much as it did so I reversed them and having the silver outlining the white numerals is almost indistuingishable (did I spell that right?). I loved the Barry Sanders era uni's as a kid growing up and I too was put off when they added the black and it looks even more ridiculous when you see an authentic up close. You get to the sleeves and your like '1...2...3...4...how many stripes was that? Them adding the black just doesn't seem like the Lions to me since blue and silver have been there colors for years. It's like Green Bay adding red or Pittsburgh adding purple to their uni's...people would riot even though both clubs got away with minor tweaks GB losing a few stripes and the Steelers switching fonts!

long as we're talking about the Lions, can anybody tell me whether the helmet and pants stripes are still mismatched? because it seems the blue on the Lions' helmets is considerably darker than the shade used for the rest of the uniform, hence I can't tell.

One's a fabric color.

I shoulda been clearer...when the Lions added black to the uniforms, the helmet stripe was blue/thin black/white/thin black/blue, while the pants stripe was thin black/blue/white/blue/thin black. I can't really tell whether this is still the case, as Lions helmets are kinda hard to find in Wisconsin ;)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

One's a fabric color.

I shoulda been clearer...when the Lions added black to the uniforms, the helmet stripe was blue/thin black/white/thin black/blue, while the pants stripe was thin black/blue/white/blue/thin black. I can't really tell whether this is still the case, as Lions helmets are kinda hard to find in Wisconsin ;)

I've seen the Lions helmet up close, on the field, pre-game. The helmet stripe is thick blue/ thick white/ thick blue, with all three stripes bordered by 4 of the thinest possible black trim stripes. Stupid... you can barely see it from three feet away, forget about TV. You're right, the pants stripe (a standard size blue/white/blue stripe borderd on the outside only with thin but noticable black stripeing) is clearly better. Bad enough to mismatch the stripes, but to do it with the poor design used on the helmet? Millenazation.

Here is a quick concept ditching the 'gunmetal' and opting for classic hon. blue and silver. They'd look nice in these!

Untitled-2detroitpostmillenera.png

Nah. I like it with gunmetal. The first concept was good (to me at least). You should have probably put middle white stripe in the away uniform sleeves.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

In reading a story regarding current Lions head coach Rod Marinelli, I just happened to run across this remark from the comments section:

true...but one thing i forgot to mention is that...millen was drafting WRs to play with bad QBs...and the lions really have to take chances and not be reserved...they have to be dilligent in their approach...look at the bucs...look at the falcons...they changed their uniforms...logos...everything was about change...went out and won the superbowl on the bucs end...the falcons went hard in the drafts trying to put people around vick, build up a defense...so of course vick is in jail but you see where i am going...i suggest new unis new logo as well...make the people of detroit know that you are serious about change...[WTF?!]hell...darken the blue to navy...put a menacing lion on that helmet...make everyone where black visors and black shoes...play with opponents minds or something[/WTF?!]...but we cant just say plugging in a rookie QB is iffy...i mean...look at Flacco...Ryan...Vince Young did his thing his first year, Mcnabb did...its not always that rookie QB's don't pan out...the Lions have to start believing that they can make good choices and let it ride...get an OC that is pass happy and we got people flying around the field catching passing...making plays...scrambling.. .and its a whole new ball game...but sitting around trying to gradually change is not going to work for this team...the need to be drastic and daring...and throw caution to the wind...of course they need a plan...but i say no on what if...put together a 3 year plan and make it work...no excuses

Just bringing it to your attention...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

In reading a story regarding current Lions head coach Rod Marinelli, I just happened to run across this remark from the comments section:
true...but one thing i forgot to mention is that...millen was drafting WRs to play with bad QBs...and the lions really have to take chances and not be reserved...they have to be dilligent in their approach...look at the bucs...look at the falcons...they changed their uniforms...logos...everything was about change...went out and won the superbowl on the bucs end...the falcons went hard in the drafts trying to put people around vick, build up a defense...so of course vick is in jail but you see where i am going...i suggest new unis new logo as well...make the people of detroit know that you are serious about change...[WTF?!]hell...darken the blue to navy...put a menacing lion on that helmet...make everyone where black visors and black shoes...play with opponents minds or something[/WTF?!]...but we cant just say plugging in a rookie QB is iffy...i mean...look at Flacco...Ryan...Vince Young did his thing his first year, Mcnabb did...its not always that rookie QB's don't pan out...the Lions have to start believing that they can make good choices and let it ride...get an OC that is pass happy and we got people flying around the field catching passing...making plays...scrambling.. .and its a whole new ball game...but sitting around trying to gradually change is not going to work for this team...the need to be drastic and daring...and throw caution to the wind...of course they need a plan...but i say no on what if...put together a 3 year plan and make it work...no excuses

Just bringing it to your attention...

Menacing lion?

<GROAN>

Archived