Oregon to unveil new uniforms October 11?

ONUV

that's what an Oregon fan said on another board. the contract on their current uniform is going out after this season i think. guess they can't wait till the season is over.

They talked about this at uniwatch blog today. According to a source, they are going to be onepiece uniforms, or unitards. My guess is that they'll be one piece uniforms like the one theorized in the NFL's 75th Anniversary Book they released. It was an artist's interpretation of what football uniforms would look like in the future.

You can't be serious!? :blink:

I remember this thread...I put a picture in it.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=54443

More specifically, this reply: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?s=...st&p=862399

And from that same thread:

NFL75.jpg

I don't know about the rest, but I do think most of us will live to see the day when pant stripes look like that. We are getting closer and closer.

That day has arrived...see the new Cal Golden Bears get-ups.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Memo to the University of Oregon: ENOUGH!!

The way Oregon has allowed Nike to use them as a their guinea pig has seriously gotten out of hand. Who exactly at Oregon is going along with all these blinding colors, ridiculous designs, and hideous uniform combinations? Ever since Nike took control of the Ducks about 10 years ago, not ONE UNIFORM (football, hoops, any sport) has come out that I have actually enjoyed or thought was remotely decent. I'm okay with any school wanting to modernize their look to an extent -- but Nike and Oregon have gone wayyyy too far. How is all this slanted number and flaming helmet-business any better than their classic yellow and green Donald Duck motif?? It just blows my mind how Nike gets away with it.

[/rant]

6uXNWAo.png

The way Oregon has allowed Nike to use them as a their guinea pig has seriously gotten out of hand. Who exactly at Oregon is going along with all these blinding colors, ridiculous designs, and hideous uniform combinations? Ever since Nike took control of the Ducks about 10 years ago, not ONE UNIFORM (football, hoops, any sport) has come out that I have actually enjoyed or thought was remotely decent. I'm okay with any school wanting to modernize their look to an extent -- but Nike and Oregon have gone wayyyy too far. How is all this slanted number and flaming helmet-business any better than their classic yellow and green Donald Duck motif?? It just blows my mind how Nike gets away with it.

[/rant]

Well, SOMEONE out there likes them. I don't get it, you don't get it, most here don't get it, but taste is mighty subjective.

Besides, if everybody had traditional, Michigan-esque uniforms, it would be a mighty boring world.

Oregon's current look is ridiculous.

A one piece...laughable.

Why is a one piece laughable? Track and field has transitioned to one pice track uniforms is that laughable as well? I think we should maybe see what it's all about before we declare it laughable.

I don't see leotards ever happening for one reason--they'd be a merchandising disaster. I don't think you'll be able to sell very many replica leotards (unless there's something I don't know about those people up in Eugene). Maybe I'm wrong, but I know I wouldn't buy my team's replica leotard.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I can't see it happening for one reason: How would you get into them with shoulder pads? A player would have to crawl into the neck opening to get it on and stretch the neck around the shoulder pads. Unless they had an opening in the back which I don't see happening either because it would rip when tackled.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

[/rant]

It should be apparent by now that the school's ties to Nike Founder and OU alum Phil Knight run deep. He is by far the school's -- specifically the athletic department's -- biggest benefactor. Nike, one of the world's most recognized and successful brands, literally arose from the University of Oregon campus. To assume that someone at Oregon "is going along with all these blinding colors" is remarkably naive. There's much more to it than that.

Secondly, those of us who pay such close attention to the world of sports aesthetics should be relieved that U of O is Nike's guinea pig for uniform innovations. I'd rather have one school wear atrocious designs than have it spread to every Nike-affiliated school.

As an Oregon fan, I chose to block out all of the bad uniform comments :P

But seriously, I am a huge Duck uniform supporter. Call me crazy but I'm actually in to new stuff. However, the thought of a unitard truly scares me. However, I'd like to point out this source is highly unreliable, I mean the dude said his friend's uncle had dinner with Phil Knight or something like that. I could go to uni watch and say that the Ducks will be wearing camouflage and that my friend who's dad met Phil Knight on a plane told him that.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on this? Maybe Nike should develop something to keep Oregon QBs healthy.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I think the way Oregon pushes the envelope with their uniforms is good. The only reason people have a huge problem with it is because their uniforms don't go along with the conservativeness of sports uniforms. I'm all for putting new designs and ideas into sports uniforms. Those yellow helmets? Awesome. If they do come out with a black helmet, that would be cool too. Maybe I'm just an ignorant college student, but I say keep on bringing out the new stuff.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

The only reason people have a huge problem with it is because their uniforms don't go along with the conservativeness of sports uniforms.

I'm really wary of trying to ascribe motives to the opinions of other posters, especially when done with a very broad brush.

The reason I have a problem with some of Oregon's designs, as an alum, isn't that they aren't conservative but that they're ugly.

The only reason people have a huge problem with it is because their uniforms don't go along with the conservativeness of sports uniforms.

I'm really wary of trying to ascribe motives to the opinions of other posters, especially when done with a very broad brush.

The reason I have a problem with some of Oregon's designs, as an alum, isn't that they aren't conservative but that they're ugly.

The beauty of sports uniforms is that we can agree or disagree on things. While you see them as ugly, I see them as innovative.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

That's cool. Your opinion is every bit as valid as mine.

My only problem is when somebody tries to diminish somebody's opinion by explaining it away.

I won't do it for you, please don't you do it for anybody else, and we'll have a great conversation.

And FWIW - I think the Oregon uniforms are both ugly and innovative. One needn't preclude the other. :D

Archived