Brewers ditch throwbacks Friday

CubsFanBudMan

The number of Friday home games varies from year to year (potentially, at least, without counting them up). I thought that in 2006 (Sunday) or 2007 (Friday) when they were given the approval to wear them, they couldn't wear them any more than x-number of times (where x = number of Friday home games).

I don't recall that at all.

Given that teams don't have to decide on wearing basic alternates until the same day, that doesn't seem to make sense.

What I think is the real reason - the throwbacks are worn as a PROMOTION.

An end of season game against the Cubs - Milwaukee's top draw - with the possibility (even back at the beginning of the year) that the games would be important for the pennant race - does not need promotion.

Therefore, no throwbacks.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Funny you should choose that word, for years I've been saying that the modern one looks much more like corporate softball.

And I don't even like the ball-and-glove. Didn't in the 1970s when they introduced it, didn't in the 1980s when they won in it, didn't in the 1990s when they finally ditched it, don't now. But the current uniforms are just a lousy design, topped off by that horrendous primary logo. So much so that they make the glove look better by comparison.

I am with you. They both stink. It's always "current vs. ball and glove." I find it aggravating because everyone forgets about the great look they had in the late 1990s (after they ditched the awful MB hat in favor of the M). THAT was a great classic baseball uniform. Sadly, it will never be seen again.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Say, that is a good logo. That whole set was decent, but for better or worse it's irreparably associated with the nadir of Brewers baseball. Seeing as the mid-1990s were, for obvious reasons, the nadir of all major league baseball, it's probably for the best that a lot of '90s designs start to go away. The Brewers, Angels, Astros, Reds, and Padres have all been redone and somewhat improved, or at least palate-cleansed. The Mariners, by all but dumping teal and still refusing to use the team font for name/number on anything but the alts, are in some sort of design purgatory where they're not distinctively dated, but they're not distinctive in any other way, either.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Mariners don't use the team for for numbers because it's ugly. The Angels changed because their 1990s uniforms were a laughingstock.

Personally, I'd rather see teams stick with good designs than change them because they struggled on the field. The Astros, Padres and Brewers definitely downgraded.

For the record, the Brewers were supposed to wear retros on the last Friday of the season, but players asked to wear the current set. From the team's Web site:

It was no accident, then, that the Brewers emerged from the dugout behind Suppan on the final Friday of the regular season wearing their home whites. Usually it would have been a "Retro Friday," and they would have donned the pinstripes that adorned Milwaukee's last playoff team in 1982.

It would have given Suppan an opportunity to utter his favorite Friday rally cry: "Let's do it for '82!"

But the 2008 Brewers had won four games in a row entering their final Friday game against the Cubs. After batting practice, several players approached clubhouse manager Tony Migliaccio about wearing the usual white home uniform tops.

Suppan was already dressed in his pinstripes but he agreed, so Migliaccio got clearance from executive vice president of business operations Rick Schlesinger -- just in case there was a sponsorship of the retro uniforms in place -- and then from general manager Doug Melvin. Principal owner Mark Attanasio also agreed.

"The consensus seemed to be, 'If it helps them win, let them go out in their underwear,'" Migliaccio joked.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

The Angels late 90's logo etc. was actually designed well and not a laughing stock, it was just the team was bad. It's actually a pretty good design, just not for a baseball team. The same can be said about the Brewers blue,green, gold uniforms and logos. Good design, bad for baseball. The Angels early to mid 90's set (the set prior to Disney), was an excellent baseball uniform, better than the current look.

This is slightly off topic but I've noticed that MLB is selling the Brewers-Phillies dueling hats with the ball-in-glove logo on them instead of the modern logo like the rest of the hats. They probably just wanted to have the logo match the royal blue hat but it seems odd for a team to use a throwback logo for postseason gear.

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?prod...amp;cp=.3333024

Archived